[SUGGESTION] Added guard functionality

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Jcksnrs
level0
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:08 pm

[SUGGESTION] Added guard functionality

Postby Jcksnrs » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:36 am

You know how there's the buttons in the bottom right that give you the options for a lockdown, a shakedown, a bangup, or weapons free? I think adding another button in that would act as a show of force almost, which, when clicked and then a location is clicked, all the guards not on patrol would rush to. In real prisons, this happens with fights, where tens of guards all rush to the area and detain those fighting. I think an ability to send guards, armed guards and canines would be a realistic ability, as well as a good way to lock down and secure an area.

Also, how about the ability to lock-down a cell block? Just like a search cell block option, we should have a lock-down cell block.This could similarly work with locking down a certain prisoner, or increased control over prisoner punishment. Maybe when the menu for the prisoner comes up, you have to option to punish him directly? With limits of course, but I think that this too would be an interesting way to cure our sadistic urges.

I also think guard towers with armed guards, who have the option of lethal and LTL weapons to oversee the perimeter + the yard would be a valuable improvement. We all know the line of the prison breakout movie "if they caught me over this fence, they would shoot me" so why not add that in under the deployment tab? If a prisoner is past a certain line of fencing/in a certain area, they're kill on sight.

Tell me what you guys think, I personally think these ideas have good potential,(and I am sure the guard tower idea has already been mentioned)
Sparrrrow
level1
level1
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:25 pm

Re: [SUGGESTION] Added guard functionality

Postby Sparrrrow » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:47 am

i oppose you first suggestion because:
- you can already do it manually.
- it would leave parts of your prison unguarded because all the guards have left

lockdown a cellblock would be nice indeed. increased control over punishments is also nice

guard towers have been mentioned alot already
but they wont happen because PA is a game only one level to build on
also you can have armed guards patrol the perimeter
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: [SUGGESTION] Added guard functionality

Postby xander » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:46 am

Sparrrrow wrote:i oppose you first suggestion because:
- you can already do it manually.
- it would leave parts of your prison unguarded because all the guards have left

While I don't necessarily think that the original poster's idea is a good one, I have counters to both of your arguments:

- Chris has repeatedly stated that he wants the units to behave as autonomously as possible and wants players to have as little direct control as possible. A "Show of Force" command that directs guards to prioritize going to a particular location fits that philosophy more than manually pushing guards around.
- Guards that are not on patrol or stationed already behave somewhat unpredictably, hence if only unassigned guards are called to perform a "Show of Force", then the patrols and stations that are manned will remain manned. Since keeping vital areas under control with patrols and stationed guards is already an important part of the game, I don't see how the OP's suggestion changes that.

That being said, I don't like the idea because I think it clutters the UI and I don't think that it adds terribly much to the game, one way or the other. I don't see anything wrong with it, per se---my gut reaction is simply one of profound ambivalence.

Sparrrrow wrote:guard towers have been mentioned alot already
but they wont happen because PA is a game only one level to build on

I don't see how the one-story restriction conflicts with guard towers, and have always found this explanation confusing. A guard tower only has one level. Granted, it is higher up than everything else, but I don't see why you couldn't render a guard tower's interior in the same way that every other building's interior is rendered, but just pretend that it is higher up. Maybe with the addition of a piece of decoration like stairs (which could be a required object for an operational guard tower).

xander
christhekiller
level3
level3
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:34 am

Re: [SUGGESTION] Added guard functionality

Postby christhekiller » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:02 am

I'm actually curious as to how Guard Towers would work. Like what would there functionality be from a gameplay perspective. The only things I can really think of are increased lines of sight for the guard in the tower, which is unnecessary since even with Fog of War enabled you can see everything outside. Or it would increase the range for armed guards in the tower, which is an odd thing considering they carry shotguns. So when you say add guard towers I have to ask for more detail on how they would work as I can't really see how they would work, at least presently.
Gushy
level0
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: [SUGGESTION] Added guard functionality

Postby Gushy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:38 pm

I certainly like both suggestions, particularly the Show of Force idea; whenever I have trouble I manually send some guards to the area as they just don't react quick enough - perhaps if the reactions were faster then the button wouldn't be needed.

Also having a Show of Force might well quell the disturbance before needing to take it to the next level - my guards seem to like their tazers just a bit too much.

--
Gushy
deadman
level0
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:40 pm
Location: CA

Re: [SUGGESTION] Added guard functionality

Postby deadman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:14 pm

Maybe more useful than just the show of force, while also not cluttering the UI, is the ability to select multiple guards... right now it can be hard to select even one guard at a time because they are running around when you are trying to click on them, and maybe they are also next to a door or a flood of prisoners.
Sentinelgre
level0
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:41 pm

Re: [SUGGESTION] Added guard functionality

Postby Sentinelgre » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:56 pm

I think the killer idea here is the guard kill zones but would add two caveats to that

1 in the rebalancing of the game (in the far far future) they should discontinue the whole tunnelling outside the map thing therefore all possible escape attempts would happen inside the play area giving towers a purpose (ie easier to control space with little resources)
2 guards on towers should have the same vision as in game CCTV
3 sniper rifle upgrade otherwise towers can be manned but the guards have to give chase
4 finally dual upgrade step for armed guards A) marksman training (takes away 80% health 100% of the time) and B) deadeye training (takes away 100% of health 80% of the time)
5 as an afterthought kill zones could and should work even without towers :)
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: [SUGGESTION] Added guard functionality

Postby xander » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:33 pm

Sentinelgre wrote:1 in the rebalancing of the game (in the far far future) they should discontinue the whole tunnelling outside the map thing therefore all possible escape attempts would happen inside the play area giving towers a purpose (ie easier to control space with little resources)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Currently, as far as I can tell, prisoners will tunnel until the reach an area that is outside of any enclosing walls. They will only tunnel to the edge of the map if you have a wall on the edge of the map. If you want more space in which to catch prisoners that have tunneled, you either need to build a smaller prison (i.e. keep your walls farther from the edge) or buy more land.

Sentinelgre wrote:5 as an afterthought kill zones could and should work even without towers :)

Just for reference killzones have been brought up quite a bit before (though, to be fair, so has everything in this topic except for the idea of a "Show of Force").

xander
Jcksnrs
level0
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:08 pm

Re: [SUGGESTION] Added guard functionality

Postby Jcksnrs » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:34 pm

Gushy wrote:Also having a Show of Force might well quell the disturbance before needing to take it to the next level - my guards seem to like their tazers just a bit too much.

--
Gushy


I agree with this a lot. The tasers made it incredibly hard to start a riot in the prison today to test the perimeter. I think that adding tasers to the "weapons free" or a button like that may be a more realistic option. I'm pretty sure in England the armed response teams need permission before using their tasers, so I think that could work well. Also, instead of the show of force idea, how about an option to train a select few guards to become a response-team, who could have an option to respond to fights or destruction before things get out of hand, rather than all the unoccupied guards?
Sentinelgre
level0
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:41 pm

Re: [SUGGESTION] Added guard functionality

Postby Sentinelgre » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:35 am

xander wrote:
Sentinelgre wrote:1 in the rebalancing of the game (in the far far future) they should discontinue the whole tunnelling outside the map thing therefore all possible escape attempts would happen inside the play area giving towers a purpose (ie easier to control space with little resources)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Currently, as far as I can tell, prisoners will tunnel until the reach an area that is outside of any enclosing walls. They will only tunnel to the edge of the map if you have a wall on the edge of the map. If you want more space in which to catch prisoners that have tunneled, you either need to build a smaller prison (i.e. keep your walls farther from the edge) or buy more

Xander thanks for the shout

Tunnelling however always goes to the edge of the map for me... Tried it out today with enclosed spaces within perimeter walls and they always tunnel outside the perimeter wall... Funny how you can't dig through for cabling but the prisoners can...
Back on topic another functionality for the guards might be roll calls ie it would be great to assign a guard to roll call duties which should be the main mechanic of how you discover prisoners have escaped

Return to “Community Members”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests