place to share prisons

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

prisoner878
level0

place to share prisons

Postby prisoner878 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:46 pm

hello all, there seems to be a void in places open to be able to share prisons with friends and other players, so for the past couple of weeks i have been working on a website to handle the task... I am about to open it up to the public but i would first like a few people who have the time to check out the site, work out any bugs, and upload a little content...

Also, i have signed up for steam and used the game with their system and i see how you can subscribe to prisons from the codex, but i was wondering if its possible to code a mod to do what steam does using lua?
Sparrrrow
level1
level1

Re: place to share prisons

Postby Sparrrrow » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:35 pm

i dont know how it works exactly but in the steam workshop you can share your prisons i believe
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:45 pm

Sparrrrow wrote:i dont know how it works exactly but in the steam workshop you can share your prisons i believe

Mods, too.

xander
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Postby RGeezy911 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:18 pm

There is already a website that does this: http://prison-exchange.com/

And as mentioned before, the Steam Workshop was implemented to help with sharing other's creative works.

If your website has some new and interesting features, then go for it. Otherwise, it might be a waste of your time.
prisoner878
level0

Postby prisoner878 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:25 am

The website i am working on has many features for the public release... and with me being a php programmer and learning lua i can promise you that my site will be full of features and always have new features being programmed.

One feature i am working on for example ( this will not be finished before i make public ) but its a feature that you can choose settings prior to downloading a blank map... Like starting cash, research, maybe items, and the list can go on and on ....

One of the biggest and most important thing is the community features already installed, that will give the site members tool's to communicate about their projects, suggest features for the site, request help from other members... its kinds of being build as a mini social network for people who play PA.

With that being said does anyone have any thought's ?

Thank you
prisoner878
level0

Postby prisoner878 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:27 am

as for steam, i have tried it, it seems cool, but i feel trapped inside of their program / app

my website will give people more options with out the requirements of a steam account and application installed.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:40 am

I dunno. I find the workshop to do pretty much what I expect. It has a (very) large fan base to ensure that it's constantly used, a rating system, a nice search engine, automatically installs the mod/map, lets me communicate with other players in a chat window or forum and share my own creations. All that plus it's got built in support within the game. Other then 'it's not steam', what new things would your web page be bringing to the table?
prisoner878
level0

Postby prisoner878 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:49 am

a more centralized "workshop" geared to prison architect, and not a million other games to worry about...
ALL of the features you said including:

fanbase / players ( must build this... im sure it will happen with out much trouble after things are rolling )

able to rate prison - planned to be added
search engine - mine way out powers steam already, because of the whole site being built on the wordpress platform
autoinstalls map / mod ( main reason i wrote my original post, because if it can be done, it will.. im a programmer... give me the rope, i will climb. )
communicate - already have a social network in the works with Groups, Forums, Friends, Private messages, Activity Wall, Notifications, dashboard... and more to be added almost daily.
support - if your happy with steams support then you have a really high boiling point because i have been back and fourth with steam support about changing a username for over a week and it takes 2 or 3 days for a reply and they still dont understand my problem and i feel they are not taking the time to understand.... like i said, they have a million games to deal with... PA is my only focus, i promise any support my members need will be addressed with the quickness like you never seen before....

as for stuff steam dont have i have or plan to:

much more user friendy sharing platform, built to support PA, and the needs of the files used in PA.
able to upload a save file... make changes, and redownload it.
share prisons with everyone, or just a group.
private / public groups that use the same submission format to add prisons and/or mods.

i could go on and on.... but this list of planned things will be built by the members who will use the site based on what the members want most, is what will be built...
prisoner878
level0

Postby prisoner878 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:52 am

ohh... on a side note.. you can use your steam account to sign up on my website! lol :)
tertaim
level3
level3

Postby tertaim » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:09 am

no offense, you are breaking the community, their are multiple sites out there which do prison sharing, maybe you should contact one of them and ask if you could lent them a hand.
prisoner878
level0

Postby prisoner878 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:00 am

no offence taken, but im not trying to break anything, im trying to build it stronger, My main reason for the site was to have it for me, and my friends and family to use, but i figured why not! I will share my work with all.... I would feel weird to approach someone i dont know and ask them if i can work on their website because i have good ideas.... I will be more than happy to ( and plan to ) link to these other sites..... so im not trying to break anything, im trying to make it bigger...
prisoner878
level0

Postby prisoner878 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:03 am

also if anyone likes my site, or ideas, i will be happy to share any programming or scripts i make or use ( aside from the ones i paid for )

Return to “Community Members”