Kitchen Reform Program not working

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

5hifty
level4
level4

Kitchen Reform Program not working

Postby 5hifty » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:37 am

Basically what happens I prisoners that are undertaking the Kitchen program don't do it. The other programs that I have running seem to be functioning as expected. What happens is the prisoners seems to stand in a random location around my prison (generally the Canteen) and don't move until their time in the program/the shift ends. They don't gain any experience, and don't progress through the course. I now have a 1% completion rate in my Kitchen. Do I have to take all the people of the job to allow the room for them to work there? I don't seem to have to in my workshop (it has a 90%ish completion rate).

Also a random unrelated question. Has the prisoners serving time been adjusted? My prison, which I use to struggle to get up to its 500 capacity, in the course of a week game time has gone to 530 and quickly rising, and my release rate, which was roughly 7-15 a day, is now about 3-5 a day.
Oreo112
level0

Re: Kitchen Reform Program not working

Postby Oreo112 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:00 am

Have you marked your kitchen as Staff Only or have Staff Doors the only way in? Your prisoners need a route to the kitchen that isn't blocked by one of those things. Switch the kitchen to general (or whatever the white space is called) and install regular doors, and you should be fine.
mideg
level1
level1

Postby mideg » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:16 am

I have noticed a drop in release rates, too.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:17 am

Nope. Kitchen is adjacent to my canteen, both of which are Max-sec areas (its a max-sec prison). The prisoners who are assigned cleaning duties clean the kitchen on a regular basis, a few random prisoners are able to work in the kitchen (dunno how they passed the course), and the doors to the kitchen are cell doors that are locked open. I removed the doors entirely and they still didn't work in it.

On the release rate, I think it is somehow related to game speed now. I noticed that my release rate was slightly higher if I had the time set to normal instead of fast.
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:55 am

5hifty wrote:Has the prisoners serving time been adjusted?

It was ideed, read the changelog:

Alpha 19 Full change list
[...]
= Game rebalancing[...]
- A prisoner's "time served" now counts up much more slowly, meaning they will spend longer in your jail before release
Previously one year sentence = 36 game hours (1.5 days)
Now one year sentence = 120 game hours (5 days)
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:13 am

Ah cheers. I kinda stopped reading the change log a while back and just watched the release vids.

So some back of napkin math says that I would now need a 3000cap prison so my incomings would equal my outgoings in a MaxSec prison? (average 60year sentence x 5 game days x average intake of 10). That right? I once sat down and worked out a equation for the intake v outgoing, but have since lost it, so I'm not sure that my napkin math is right.

****EDIT****

Just replaced the cell doors that lead for the canteen to the kitchen with regular doors with no effect.

The prisoner that is standing on the serving table is also apart of the Kitchen program. They will both stand where they are for the duration of the class with no increase in any of the stats.

Both Kitchen and Canteen are both zoned right, prisoners commonly move between the 2 rooms and everything seems like it should work, but it doesnt.
akusteele
level0

Postby akusteele » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:34 am

I briefly had this same problem that when the time for kitchen reform program came, only that one cook was ready but nothing else happened..

Got that problem sorted out by building about the same sized building with normal door like your infirmary (on the last picture) and putting 5 there cookers. After that the kitchen reform program worked perfectly. :)
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:45 am

Given the current size, design and capacity, I don't really have the ability to add in a new room. I guess I'll just have to hire more kitchen hands and wait until and update fixes it.

akusteele
level0

Postby akusteele » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:18 am

Yes, but it's not about how many cooks you hire..
The problem like in your prison now where there is over 500 prisoners is, that all the participating prisoners in kitchen reform program needs a cooker to themself to be used that 2 hours the lesson takes (meaning that cooks cannot use them during that period). At same time all the cooks you have starts using the cookers between 3-4 hours before each meal served to the prisoners so the regime and Work hours affects too.
If the work hours in your regime is before or between meal times when kitchen reform program occurs, the cooks you got have precedence over prisoners using the cookers, which results that the prisoners just stand somewhere unable to attend the program.

So every meal time and the hours before them goes exact same way, therefore the prisoners can't complete the program because of the cooks having higher priority with cookers in the kitchen. The building where those other 5 cookers are don't have to be huge, like 6x5 square tiles.. i'd guess even smaller that the infirmary you got. :)
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:21 pm

akusteele wrote:snip

Heh what I meant was hire extra cooks to take over the duties of the prisoners that use to work in the kitchen pre-19, but now that I get whats actually happening I can fix the problem by firing some cooks to give them the extra room, yes? My prison currently creates to much food each meal time .I've structured my regime around the fact the hungry prisoners take the food first, and not allowing enough time for prisoners who get hungry half way through the hour to get any, meaning they would be the first to eat next meal time,

So, this leads me to believe that I could fire some of my staff, would would then train enough prisoners to full staff the kitchen and then be unable to train anymore, until one of the prisoners who was trained got released, at which point a spot would open up in the program, and a replacement would be trained? w0ot. Unintentional microing for the win.

I would make the assumption that Kitchen Program participants don't prepare food that can be consumed at meal time?
sirshane
level0

Postby sirshane » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:40 pm

I don't know if this is related but none of the reform programs are working for me at the moment. They say all rooms full even though I have 2 classrooms and 1 workshop completely unused. This is in a new prison. (I can't check if there is a bug about it because the bugtracker won't let me in)
akusteele
level0

Postby akusteele » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:09 pm

5hifty wrote: I would make the assumption that Kitchen Program participants don't prepare food that can be consumed at meal time?

That's right.. when the kitchen reform program is going on, each prisoner needs a cooker but they only stand infront of it and don't do anything with it. (just like it is with workshop safety lessons)
So if you got that kitchen reform program active say from 2-4pm with 5 prisoners participating and got 1-2 hour meal time from 5-6pm, the cooks starts using all available cookers before the lesson between 12am-2pm which results to that there is no cookers what are available for the prisoners to use during the program hours and the lesson is not used.

Which is why the tip of building a small building where you got 5 extra cookers (with electricity) what prisoners can use no matter when you got the reform program active and one cook will come there to hold the 2 hour lesson. :)
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:06 pm

Unless they can 'bags' the cookers in advance they know they need them (class 2-4pm, meal 8-9pm with a 2 hour class only overlapping 1 hour) the reason the my prisoners aren't attending the class isn't that the cooks are bogarting the cookers. This pics a little late, I noticed it probably 20 gamemintutes before this was taken.

Was nearly 5 hours before the next meal, the cooks were happily cleaning dishes, and yet they still wont partake in the program.
akusteele
level0

Postby akusteele » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:36 pm

That's just it.. "Cooks will start preparing the food a few hours earlier" (http://prison-architect.wikia.com/wiki/Regime)

In that picture it's almost 9:50am, the prisoners eating time is at 2pm and the cooks i see is washing them foodtrays and after that the cooks starts to make next meal for your prisoners, so either not enough cooks or lesson and prepairing the food overlaps so no free cooks.
Besides, if you say you got the kitchen class from 2-4pm and on the regime Eat time is from 2 to 3pm, there already is 1 hour wasted, and even if the cook who holds the class is free, the prisoners attending it most likely is eating at that time and the lesson becomes cancelled.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:19 pm

Again, nope. The prisoner would be wondering around the prison not even trying to join a class. Or if he was in the canteen when the course started, he would be frozen to the spot until the course ended. Also as I said I took that cap a little late, but the point I was trying to make was there was a time between 'course starting' and 'cooks starting the next meal', so your theory (on this specific incident) that a cook would 'bags' a cooker, not just when they needed it (i.e: they start cooking and the cooker is taken into account, and reserve it) as opposed to reserving it when it was anticipated to be needed (I.e: we we begin cooking in half a hour and will need that cooker so nobody who is going to use it longer then that can use it) turned out to be incorrect. all I had to do was split the large kitchens into two kitchens and everything worked as expected.

Return to “Community Members”