[Discussion] Incentive System

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Person012345
level2
level2

Re: [Discussion] Incentive System

Postby Person012345 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:02 pm

xander wrote:Person012345, your opinion that the current incentive system is perfect has been noted.

Face

Palm.
Person012345
level2
level2

Postby Person012345 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:10 pm

5hifty wrote:Fine. Ignore my entire argument except:

You do realize that this game will have a campaign? How does your never ending, never evaluated, never rated, with no victory conditions game fit into this?

I think what you want is sandbox mode. I'm sure they'll have that too.

If it has a campaign, then by all means the campaign can have goals (although no, it doesn't have to, "campaigns" can also be open ended - not saying it should be but it could be). I have no issue with that. Could even be interesting if it's super hard to complete. If it's the ONLY mode in the finished game then I'd have a problem.

Sandboxes don't generally have overall failure conditions. I'm struggling to think of a game or mode considered to be a sandbox where you can "lose". One of the features of something being a sandbox mode is that there is unlimited money etc. I know there aren't failure conditions in PA as yet, but it's been stated they're planned IIRC and one could consider an irrecoverable spiral into debt to be a failure, especially when you can't replace staff after a riot or you can't build any more.
Robbedem
level2
level2

Postby Robbedem » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:54 am

Srry to necro this thread, but since the addition of legendary prisoners (which is great by the way), the extra money for "days without incident" seems kind of broken. The reason is that those legendary prisoners cause 'incidents' almost every day. Having none of them die should be counted as a good day, but even a small fight which is succesfully ended by your guards currently accounts as an incident, so you never get the extra money anymore.
Reeferken
level1
level1

Postby Reeferken » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:49 am

The incentive system could also come in the form of long term unlock which might change or ease future gamestyles

These would be linked to your account and be accessible in all your prisons from then on

Build 5 succesfull hard punishment prisons: guards get iron battons that do more damage
Build 20000 furnitures: get a better deal with your supplier and all furniture is now cheaper
Educate 5000 prisoners: better teachers apply to work for you, higher success chance
Execute 1000 prisoners: get the guillotine
(the numbers and rewards are just examples, I'm pretty sure the community could come up with loads of ideas if this gets implemented)
WiseWoodrow
level2
level2

Postby WiseWoodrow » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:15 am

Whoah, whoah, Person012345, no need to be so harsh. Though you have an opinion of games not needing any goals/success criteria, many people do, and it's all just how you like to play. No need to be hostile.

Both of you, infact - your comments have been going back and forth asserting your opinions onto each other.

Things like "So you want a 'game' where you just have a toybox full of pieces? How will the game progress once it is complete if it doesn't evaluate your prison somehow?"
and
"Except that I don't really give the slightest f--k about how much the game values your (or my) prison at",
are both entirely different and valid opinions, and no fighting about them should be needed.

Some people like hard-set goals, optimal planning, and evaluation - without it they get no enjoyment.
Some people like doing what they want, specifically, and don't want to be tied down with too many success evaluations and end goals disrupting them.

Can we come to an agreement that they'd be a good option to have in the game, for those who play to choose, and leave it at that?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reeferken wrote:The incentive system could also come in the form of long term unlock which might change or ease future gamestyles

These would be linked to your account and be accessible in all your prisons from then on

Build 5 succesfull hard punishment prisons: guards get iron battons that do more damage
Build 20000 furnitures: get a better deal with your supplier and all furniture is now cheaper
Educate 5000 prisoners: better teachers apply to work for you, higher success chance
Execute 1000 prisoners: get the guillotine
(the numbers and rewards are just examples, I'm pretty sure the community could come up with loads of ideas if this gets implemented)

This, though, is a nice idea. An entirely optional perk system for those who like an achievement-grabber style of play, with minor rewarding.
Reeferken
level1
level1

Postby Reeferken » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:45 am

Xander wrote:This, though, is a nice idea. An entirely optional perk system for those who like an achievement-grabber style of play, with minor rewarding.

Okay, granted this leans towards the achievement side of things, this together with the polaroids which will be in the final game... They do add some replay or long term play value to a game

As you mentioned a necromancer rating as to how you performed during your plays, a rating alone isn't really an incentive to perform a certain way or get rewarded for playing really efficiently, brutally, kindly,...
Perhaps this could be tied into a skill tree allowing you to unlock certain items, bonusses, skills,... as you progress through the game and campaign... Maybe even a global ladder boasting your scores as the most evil warden of all time...

I see a number of areas that could reward points
Financial, evil or good, expansion speed, total size vs capacity ,... Each with their own unlocks to change or improve playstyle but limiting your options to unlock other items as the points are in a different category

Having played as an evil warden gives you a number of points and allows you to unlock the cctvs or better batons or...
Having done really well financially could award points in that area allowing cheaper or advanced furniture, lower cost of staff,...
Having stuffed a large amount of prisoners in a small prison rewards points and might allow for smaller cells or bunk beds

(i know there is a bureaucracy tree inside the game, but this is per game and not global... Personally I don't like games that give every option available at the beginning as there is nothing to work for long term (sandbox mode) )
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:21 pm

Reeferken wrote:...necromancer rating...

Neuromancer rating. But, given the age of this thread, maybe the other is appropriate. ;)

xander

Return to “Community Members”