Sentencing enhancements

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

FearandLoathing
level1
level1

Sentencing enhancements

Postby FearandLoathing » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:08 pm

Hello all...Absolutely ecstatic to be apart of this alpha! I actually know quite a bit about the prison system in the United States, not personally of course, but have studied it extensively.

Anyway, I purchased the Name in Game package and was wondering if there were going to be any other additions to sentencing terms? Like 25-to-life, or school zone enhancements? I really want to make a political message here with how messy the enhancement system is in the United States and how a simple offense can manage to keep someone in prison for most of their life. I would also like to see 25-to-life sentences although I'm confident this has been covered, I did not however see anything about sentencing enhancements such as repeat offenders (recidivism, 3 strikes law), vicinity of school zones, possession of weapons, etc. I did search for it but couldn't find anything other than seeing a couple of 25-to-life references.

I am really loving Prison Architect so far, and am ashamed to say I do not have much experience with your past games...But now I have all of them, I'm sure I'll enjoy them all. Cheers.
Egg-Roll
level2
level2

Re: Sentencing enhancements

Postby Egg-Roll » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:37 pm

I personally like the hacking game after PA tho I would of liked to try subversion XD (not included because it's on hold and incomplete)

As for schooling in game, it just came out this alpha and it's actually decent tho don't get your teacher killed he'll become a zombie on the road lol

For sentencing you can edit the years in the save file no idea if it works but it should. For repeated offences currently nothing (I'm guessing stuff like assaulting a guard) however if a prisoner assaults a guard causes injury tries to escape and kills someone they all have penalties which can be edited in game. There you can set how long and either lockdown or salutary
FearandLoathing
level1
level1

Postby FearandLoathing » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:54 am

I really did dig the footage of Subversion...Which is what Prison Architect is, correct? Or what it was, anyway.

I haven't even bothered with the schooling, haha, I can barely keep a functioning prison let alone try to add rehabilitation programs.

I wasn't aware I could edit the sentences, I might have to check that out, cheers. My idea though is individual charges added onto existing charges, enhancements are used a lot in repeat offenders and can tack on additional sentences of anywhere from 5 to 25-to-life for third-time offenses. There are also enhancements used in certain jurisdictions of the United States that enhance a possession of felony narcotics if it is in the vicinity of a weapon, further charges are added for being in the vicinity of large sums of money, ammunition, spent shell casings, and vice-versa. Some states have Gang Enhancements that are added after the fact to known gang members.

I was curious more or less about how recidivism is going to be handled by the game and giving some ideas on how it could be implemented since it is a relatively large problem here in the United States penal system.
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:50 am

Just to set things straight, Prison Architect is in no way representing the American system of Justice as said multiple times by the developers.
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:00 am

FearandLoathing wrote:I really did dig the footage of Subversion...Which is what Prison Architect is, correct? Or what it was, anyway.

No, Subversion was a completely different game that had been in development before Prison Architect. Chris eventually realized that it wasn't so much a game but a nice looking tool to play around with code, so the idea was scrapped. The only connection betweeen the two is that a Prison Break level Chris had planned for Subversion was one factor (among his holiday trip to visit Alcatraz) that lead to the concept for Prison Architect.
FearandLoathing
level1
level1

Postby FearandLoathing » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:22 am

knoest26 wrote:Just to set things straight, Prison Architect is in no way representing the American system of Justice as said multiple times by the developers.

Yes, I understand as much...Just an idea is all.
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:55 am

FearandLoathing wrote:
knoest26 wrote:Just to set things straight, Prison Architect is in no way representing the American system of Justice as said multiple times by the developers.

Just saying, some people are complaining about regular guards having tasers because it's not realistic. Just because American guards don't use tasers doesn't mean Prison Architect guards can't.

Back to topic, the developers want to give the player the choice on how to run their prison, whether that is a strict right wing or a rehabilitation orientated left wing regime, so I guess that players will at some point be able to choose what he wants to tolerate and what not. I can imagine that some players might want to allow prisoners to use luxury items such as phone or allow 5 fights before taking legal steps.
Person012345
level2
level2

Postby Person012345 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:15 am

knoest26 wrote:
FearandLoathing wrote:

Just saying, some people are complaining about regular guards having tasers because it's not realistic.

Are these people like, stupid or something? They realise it's optional yes? The entire idea of rolling out tasers to all is not that it's some default thing you just do but rather something that you can choose to do as a drastic measure if your prison is high risk. If they think it's "unrealistic" all they have to do is not click the button.
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:49 am

Some people think it's Prison Simulator I guess
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:30 am

VoiD88 wrote:The only connection betweeen the two is that a Prison Break level Chris had planned for Subversion was one factor (among his holiday trip to visit Alcatraz) that lead to the concept for Prison Architect.

And the building design comes from Subversion. And the systems level approach to things. And much of the codebase. And the behaviours of autonomous entities. While Subversion was put on indefinite hold, Prison Architect is both spiritually and technologically descended from Subversion.

xander
FearandLoathing
level1
level1

Postby FearandLoathing » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:53 pm

knoest26 wrote:
FearandLoathing wrote:

Just saying, some people are complaining about regular guards having tasers because it's not realistic. Just because American guards don't use tasers doesn't mean Prison Architect guards can't.

Back to topic, the developers want to give the player the choice on how to run their prison, whether that is a strict right wing or a rehabilitation orientated left wing regime, so I guess that players will at some point be able to choose what he wants to tolerate and what not. I can imagine that some players might want to allow prisoners to use luxury items such as phone or allow 5 fights before taking legal steps.

Yet, we will though...Michigan recently implemented tasers in five of their prisons to see how they work out, and I assume it will work out fairly well, and we already have prisons that employ pepper spray and mace as a deterrent as well so nonlethal means isn't completely unheard of here.

I'm sure they'll open up the options as the game progresses, as it is though the game is quite impressive for only being an alpha. I'm just throwing some ideas out there.

Return to “Community Members”