Alpha 18 Question

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Dymetreus
level0

Alpha 18 Question

Postby Dymetreus » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:00 am

I've looked up, watched the video, and worked on finding an answer to this question, and while it may have been answered before, I couldn't find it. Basically the question simply is;

What is the point in all this reforming programs gameplay wise? While it all sounds good for real life, but they never explained how all this money spending into your prisoners actually benefits you, or your prison. Behavioral program being the exception. But even then I must admit, so much work for the possibility of making a single prisoner who may or may not be within the prison for a short amount of time doesn't really sound appealing.

I understand the, "Prisoners shouldn't just be able to walk into a workshop and use saws without some sort of safety program first." It's realistic. But during the video I kept hearing all this talk about reforming, but nothing about how it benefits your prison. From my understanding of it, it actually only costs you more time and money then before.

I would like some explanation on this subject, thank you for those who shed some light on my question(s)!
ouyin2000
level1
level1

Re: Alpha 18 Question

Postby ouyin2000 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:06 am

It's just the beginning stages right now. Remember, Alpha and such. So don't be reading too much into it.
Dymetreus
level0

Postby Dymetreus » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:11 am

ouyin2000 wrote:It's just the beginning stages right now. Remember, Alpha and such. So don't be reading too much into it.

So I'm assuming that the reforming programs don't really do anything at the moment? I'm most aware this is an Alpha, but it still should've been stated whether it does something or not. Hopefully they will do something in the next couple of months.
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:43 am

They added fire to the game before Fire Engines were working. There's been an electric chair in the game that has never worked. The Workshop in early Alphas simply granted 2$ per square per day before Prison Labor was introduced. Smelly contraband was in the game long before Guard Dogs were available to smell it.

The reform programs are just another example in the same category: The programs are already in the game while the main feature (Reform of Prisoners) is not yet. Don't worry, they won't have put all this work into those programs and then leave them unfinished ;)
mideg
level1
level1

Postby mideg » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:52 am

Well, the safety and hygiene programms enable you to earn money/spend less money. A18 is more difficult than A17 was that Workshops aren't money presses anymore.
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:24 pm

Yeah, I really love the changes to Workshops requiring training, I had to really stabilize my test prison before I was able to succesfully start training people. I also like the added expense... I'm not a 'great player' who makes huge prisons with no incidents overnight, so it is enough challenge without completely punishing me.

The classrooms are completely useless right now but I'm eventually building one, just for the roleplaying aspect.
CaptainCroissandwich
level0

Postby CaptainCroissandwich » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Reform programs in the prison is only the first step towards the ultimate goal of a full reformation system for prisoners in PA. I believe Chris has stated in one of the earlier Alpha videos that reformation is intended to be used as a measuring tool for the effectiveness of your prison, by providing skills and education that would help re-integrate the prisons into society and (hopefully) prevent re-offending in the future.

I imagine the meat of the reformation statistics would eventually be cataloged in the Valuation tab of the Reports, but might in the future also award bonus grants or gifted materials/objects depending on your progress in reform - this is all speculation, though.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:15 pm

Since it hasn't been noted, the behavior modification program should in theory decrease violence in the prison over time. Personally I also find having full classrooms gratifying even though it doesn't really benefit anything.
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:26 pm

HerrJoebob wrote:Since it hasn't been noted, the behavior modification program should in theory decrease violence in the prison over time. Personally I also find having full classrooms gratifying even though it doesn't really benefit anything.

Yeah, in my case I had a 'medium security' dude in the Behavior Modification... so I clicked and realized he had been one of the murderers in a recent 'incident'. It was such a great moment of emergent story, seeing this 'mild mannered' dude who ended up killing somebody (self defense?) and is now attending sessions with the therapist.

Kinda a side note but In the same prison another guy who was attending sessions had his cell searched during a shakedown and I found 5 pieces of contraband. Cleptomania confirmed? :wink:
CplHenderson
level2
level2

Postby CplHenderson » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:13 pm

Despite it being useless, I also find classroom lessons really gratifying. I was so proud of Mr. Dayner when he received his GED! I fondly watched him leave, holding an education diploma for the first time in his life.

Then he somehow got himself stuck inside a bugged "no access" wall, forcing me to open the save file and manually change his position.

Return to “Community Members”