[Suggestion] Guard training programs

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

blacksythe
level2
level2

[Suggestion] Guard training programs

Postby blacksythe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:31 pm

I was typing away in the taser feedback thread (here) on a point of training programs and realized there are far too many points to make that are unrelated so i started a new thread and linked to this one.

New room
Training room/Gym

Room Requirements
Minimum size 4x7 - Size is realism if as tasers require a distance of i would say about a meter to a meter and a half to fire safely
Weights bench - Keeping them guards fit is important
Weapons rack - I included this due to the nature of the courses I am going to mention this is more as a prop that contains training weapons

New courses
Taser safety and experience course - See taser feedback thread for discussion

This course is voluntary and must be completed by a guard before they are allowed to carry a taser, new guards just hired in do not come with the required qualification, but armed guards do.
Description: Like police officers, guards must be properly trained before being allowed to handle a taser, Course includes Taser safety, What a taser does, and taser handling
Required sessions 3
Maximum in a session 2
Cost per session $500
Trainer = armed guard

Body armor information briefing

This course is voluntary and must be completed by any guard that wants to wear body armor as it includes safe handling of prisoners while wearing body armor, the safety aspect of carrying extra weight and when to wear it around the prison etc
Required sessions 1
Maximum in a session 5
Cost per session $500
Trainer = armed guard or brought in from outside not sure which is best

Fitness

Guards eating too many doughnuts keep them in tip top shape with this fitness course, this course is voluntary but once a guard has taken it the effects of the course will only last say 10-14 days and will then have to repeat the course to continue benefiting from the effects

Effects Guard will move x1.5 as fast when not wearing body armor and not carrying out a task
Possible additional effects guard can more easily subdue a violent prisoner

Guard wearing body armor will have his speed returned to default speed (i.e. the same as an untrained guard not wearing body armor)
Guards wearing body armor will do slightly more damage when fighting with a prisoner but not as much as a guard without body armor

Required sessions 2
Maximum in a session 5
Cost per session $300
Trainer = armed guard (which doesn't make sense) or brought in from outside not sure which is best

I have one word for this now Discuss
lakefisher1
level1
level1

Re: [Suggestion] Guard training programs

Postby lakefisher1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:31 pm

These ideas seem really good, and well thought out. I especially like the fitness idea. I would prefer for the taser training to be able to be set as compulsory or optional, depending on how you want to run your prison, or for us to be able to say that x amount of guards should go for the training. The same with body armour. This would allow us to control how we want to run our prison: some feedback I have heard for the taser rollout is that it gets crazy and all fights are quelled instantly, so being able to same if you want some of your guards to have tasers would control this - maybe it could be more expensive per taser to discourage people giving tasers to every guard.

Alternatively the player orders in the amount of tasers, body Armour and weapons they want - provided they have the weapon racks to store said gear. Guards would then go to the armoury, having completed the course for the piece of gear and get it from a rack. Armed guards would have priority over any gear ordered in, followed by normal guards, then dog handlers.

Another idea is that there is a menu where you choose what gear to give to guards. So you could chose to give tasers to guards only, and to no other type of guard.

Thanks for reading a few of my ideas. I know a few people will say that they have too much micro-management, but feel free to leave your opinions anyway!
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Postby thekillergreece » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:46 pm

I like the idea. Maybe another one object should be added: Target rack, training guards to shoot properly and at good accuracy.
blacksythe
level2
level2

Postby blacksythe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:26 pm

@lakefisher1 and other interested parties.

The gear and where it is present in your prison is a definite issue that does need to be addressed and is present in many other threads and now this one : :roll: which is why i didn't bother touching on it but you are right where and when guards can use their equipment does need a little more micromanagement than what is currently available.

As for how many guards get the training i added this as voluntary as you don't have to schedule sessions all the time thus you can limit the number of guards that way ;)

@thekillergreece and other interested parties.

Definitely a nice idea and gives me another one

Marksmanship, Accuracy and knowing your weapon and where to aim to not kill your target

Sloppy snipers and armed guards cause as much death as a prisoner with a shiv bring your security into the 21st century with this training program, designed to enhance and refine the marksmanship of your armed guards and sniper towers we have brought in a top military marksman to bring your prison guards in line

Possible required items as suggested target rack or maybe a shooting range 2 possibilities for the course
required staff; towerguard or armed guard

Required sessions 10
Maximum in a session 4
Session length 3 hours
Cost per session $500
Trainer = Outside

Effects: Shotguns and sniper rifles (future releases) are more likely to incapacitate a prisoner as apposed to killing him once this training is completed by an armed guard or tower guard

Alternatively

Required sessions 2
Maximum in a session 4
Session length 3 hours
Cost per session $500
Trainer = Outside
Skills must be refreshed every 10-14 days for your guards to benefit
mideg
level1
level1

Postby mideg » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:13 pm

I love those ideas, but guards training programs shouldn't be voluntary. If you have a job, and your amployer tells you to get a certain training and pays for it, you do the training (or quit the job, but I don't think we need that kind of realism).
Prison Officer UK
level1
level1

Postby Prison Officer UK » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:26 pm

I love the idea of this. Maybe you could have it scheduled in alongside your regime? For a bit of extra realism and Strategy as well, I think it may be a good idea to have the trainers work 9-5. This way, you would have a choice. Do you run your regime without those guards in training? Risking a critical incident, or, do you lock down the jail due to staff training and risk the prisoners becoming pissed off?

In the real world, I have done both, training whilst the regime is going on and whilst the jail has been locked down to facilitate it. Could add a bit of Strategy to training your staff.
CplHenderson
level2
level2

Postby CplHenderson » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:53 pm

I also agree that the training programs shouldn't be voluntary - rather, you should open as many slots as you want and those slots will be filled automatically by any guard.
Arakash
level0

Postby Arakash » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Nice suggestion, it fits in well with the other discussion you linked and i would love to see it in the game.

Return to “Community Members”