Removing Deliveries

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

ouyin2000
level1
level1

Removing Deliveries

Postby ouyin2000 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:05 am

So I've encountered a serious issue. I sold my old prison for a healthy $1M+ and started designing a new one. I removed the deliveries and garbage areas and paused the game so I could plan it all out. Ended up saving the game and coming back to it later to finish. When reloading the game, I didn't clue in that loading it automatically unpauses it. So since I didn't have a deliveries area, the truck with my 8 workers on it travels right on by and out the bottom of the screen unbeknownst to me. Also the game automatically bought a stack of food trays and ingredients for some odd reason, which also traveled right off the screen. But the problem I have encountered is that with this initial $10 purchase of food trays, now the game is telling me that I have exceeded my daily budget and I can't hire more workers or an accountant or anything. So I'm basically stuck at the end of the planning stage with no way to carry on. Kind of annoying to have to start all over again with a brand new prison and brand new income.

Possible solutions:

- Editing the save file to give myself 1 worker or accountant (this won't actually solve the problem, just my problem)
- Allowing players to purchase 1 worker over the daily budget limit
- Getting rid of the daily budget limit
- Not purchasing the food trays in the first place with no kitchen to actually put them in (my personal favourite solution)
- Not sending the first few workers off the screen in the first place

Thoughts?
variablenonsense
level1
level1

Re: Removing Deliveries

Postby variablenonsense » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:45 am

Honestly I don't like the daily limit thing; there should be an obvious punishment for driving yourself bankrupt, but if you want to do it you should be allowed to. Plenty of businesses go over an operating budget in the beginning and take a while in the red to get started up, there's no reason this should be different. The accountant, imo, should just show you how much cash flow you actually have - so you don't have to do it yourself.

... like accountants do.

Anyway, that being said, this does seem like a bug and honestly I'd prefer if your initial workers just started IN your delivery area, as if they'd already gotten there and set up the delivery area for you! I agree that the trays shouldn't be purchased until you actually have prisoners or at least a kitchen set up for them, too.
nini
level2
level2

Postby nini » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:09 am

ouyin2000 wrote:So I've encountered a serious issue. I sold my old prison for a healthy $1M+ and started designing a new one. I removed the deliveries and garbage areas and paused the game so I could plan it all out. Ended up saving the game and coming back to it later to finish. When reloading the game, I didn't clue in that loading it automatically unpauses it. So since I didn't have a deliveries area, the truck with my 8 workers on it travels right on by and out the bottom of the screen unbeknownst to me. Also the game automatically bought a stack of food trays and ingredients for some odd reason, which also traveled right off the screen. But the problem I have encountered is that with this initial $10 purchase of food trays, now the game is telling me that I have exceeded my daily budget and I can't hire more workers or an accountant or anything. So I'm basically stuck at the end of the planning stage with no way to carry on. Kind of annoying to have to start all over again with a brand new prison and brand new income.

Possible solutions:

- Editing the save file to give myself 1 worker or accountant (this won't actually solve the problem, just my problem)
- Allowing players to purchase 1 worker over the daily budget limit
- Getting rid of the daily budget limit
- Not purchasing the food trays in the first place with no kitchen to actually put them in (my personal favourite solution)
- Not sending the first few workers off the screen in the first place

Thoughts?

Daily budget limit forces you to buy an accountant, food trays and food force you to make a canteen and kitchen. They haven't really considered the New Game + aspect of selling your prison yet but it's upcoming so right now selling just gives you the cash for the value of your prison less half of it due to riots and the many, many dead. So many, most prisons besides the worst run gulags don't run death tolls in triple digits but then a badly run gulag wouldn't kill anyone, hm. I digress, the thing about is that when you sell up it's like a new game entirely and you bring nothing but the cash you came with. Probably should take the office folk with you I think, get to keep your tech tree. Then again, that is kinda critical of a bug to lose the eight workers you require to even get started even if you did do something stupid like remove the deliveries area and forget to replace it.

variablenonsense wrote:The accountant, imo, should just show you how much cash flow you actually have - so you don't have to do it yourself.

... like accountants do.

Thing is that you're the accountant. May have missed that because there's an accountant right there, got their own office and everything right? Wrong, tech tree unlock is all they provide, you're responsible for everything else because you're the architect and are responsible for three jobs though you hired three people to do those jobs. Kooky, I know.
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:44 am

nini wrote:Wrong, tech tree unlock is all they provide

Wrong as well ;)

Everyone, if you hire an accountant, you CAN exceed the daily budget limit, that's what the accountant is for.

I understand that it's not helping in the problem described by the OP, but for that, I suggest you simply start a new game, open the save file in an editor and give yourself the money you had on the ruined prison. Won't be "cheating" since you had already achieved that situation. (In my opinion, I don't consider savegame editing "cheating" at all, whether repairing a crashed game like you'd do or just randomly giving yourself 10000000$ for the heck of it. Remember, we're just testing the system rather than playing the game until its full release)
nini
level2
level2

Postby nini » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:05 am

VoiD88 wrote:
nini wrote:Wrong, tech tree unlock is all they provide

Wrong as well ;)

Everyone, if you hire an accountant, you CAN exceed the daily budget limit, that's what the accountant is for.

I know people know that, still seems like a strange limitation.
variablenonsense
level1
level1

Postby variablenonsense » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:53 am

nini wrote:Thing is that you're the accountant. May have missed that because there's an accountant right there, got their own office and everything right? Wrong, tech tree unlock is all they provide, you're responsible for everything else because you're the architect and are responsible for three jobs though you hired three people to do those jobs. Kooky, I know.

Wrong. You need an accountant to open up the Finance report as well as to see your daily cash flow. That's plenty of incentive to me just to keep one around, and that's all they should do. Yes, you're in charge of the money, but you actually need an accountant to prepare 'the books' for you. There's no reason you should have to hire one to spend beyond your budget.

Kooky, I know. ;p

And obviously I'm aware that having one lets you extend 'into the red' per daily cost. The point is that's it's a nonsensical requirement.
mideg
level1
level1

Postby mideg » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:47 am

Especally since without an accountant, you shouldn't even know that you are spending in the red. Basically, it would be more realistic if the accountant would start preventing that kind of spending at least to som extent. :-)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:30 pm

variablenonsense wrote:And obviously I'm aware that having one lets you extend 'into the red' per daily cost. The point is that's it's a nonsensical requirement.

It is a game. Part of the early game is that you cannot hire infinite staff---you have to have the daily budget to cover them. This actually makes some amount of sense mechanically, as it would otherwise be possible to go deeply into debt by hiring too many staff early on, and virtually impossible to dig yourself out. If nothing else, it makes newbies aware of the fact that it is possible to run at a deficit. There are lots of good reasons to keep the mechanic.

xander
nini
level2
level2

Postby nini » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:36 am

variablenonsense wrote:
nini wrote:Thing is that you're the accountant. May have missed that because there's an accountant right there, got their own office and everything right? Wrong, tech tree unlock is all they provide, you're responsible for everything else because you're the architect and are responsible for three jobs though you hired three people to do those jobs. Kooky, I know.

Wrong. You need an accountant to open up the Finance report as well as to see your daily cash flow. That's plenty of incentive to me just to keep one around, and that's all they should do. Yes, you're in charge of the money, but you actually need an accountant to prepare 'the books' for you. There's no reason you should have to hire one to spend beyond your budget.

Kooky, I know. ;p

And obviously I'm aware that having one lets you extend 'into the red' per daily cost. The point is that's it's a nonsensical requirement.

It's a strange person who repeats what someone else says as if to make their argument look stupid, little offputting, kinda patronising. Anyway, like xander says (and I said in a limited form before people started telling me I'm wrong) it's there to get the player to buy these things they need in the early game stages and not run a six figure debt they can't get out of. In the game itself though, I still hold firm those people offer a tech tree unlock as they don't have much function outside of those things, that's not an issue but without the accountant you'd be doing the books so unless you want to do their job and request for fund unlocks and work out your finances each time you need to build a new wall then the accountant makes sense.

Return to “Community Members”