March 2014 poll : What next?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

What should we focus on next?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:47 pm

Bug fixes - eg AI errors, crash bugs, game glitches, broken content
11%
Performance enhancements - permitting higher capacity prisons at high FPS, with less frame lag
6%
New and different starting conditions - eg existing broken jail / harsh landscapes
3%
New 'Mid game' content - eg new grants / staff / weapons / rooms / furniture / jobs / reform programs etc
27%
New simulation systems - eg drug abuse / gangs / complex injuries / weather + seasons
30%
The 'End game' - ie Parole / re-offending / victory+failure conditions / game-over events / score
9%
Please stop adding new systems, and improve/finish the existing systems first
4%
Campaign mode - ie illustrated story chapters like the introduction with written characters and dilemmas
4%
Better mod support - eg support for community created game objects, staff etc
2%
Game balance - rebalancing of all prices, timers, systems etc, so the game is challenging and fair
4%
I want everything above - and my vote will therefore be ignored
1%

Total votes: 1639
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Re: March 2014 poll : What next?

Postby thekillergreece » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:21 am

Yet, I doubt if there is "properly" designed Watch Towers because Chris "unfairly" said that multi-floors wont be added despite huge demand from fans.

Wouldn't watch towers take a huge space on map? Wouldn't watchtower slow guard's speed to enter and exit watchtower?Huge problems.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:33 pm

thekillergreece wrote:...because Chris "unfairly" said that multi-floors wont be added despite huge demand from fans.

Inorite? It is so unfair! It is almost as if Chris has some kind of vision for the game and he is unwilling to compromise that vision in order to satisfy a small number of really vocal people! Really! It is *SO* unfair! :roll:

xander
Konni
level1
level1

Postby Konni » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:02 pm

It's really great that the devs include the community as much as they do as well.

I had a good chuckle over that one.

The lawyer thing actually sounds pretty intriguing. Why not get penalty points and have your "Prison Manager license" revoked after stacking up too many of those? This would actually add a little challenge to the game. You should also get penalty points for ignoring certain prisoner's needs for too long. If you employ a tough regime and let them work more than 8 hours a day, they should be able to file complaints to authorities. If too many complaints are filed, you get penalty points and have to invest money into your lawyer (similar to education programs etc) who will deduct those points over time. That would actually make for a really nice feature to add much needed challenge.
acegamer08
level3
level3

Postby acegamer08 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:29 pm

thekillergreece wrote:...
Wouldn't watch towers take a huge space on map? Wouldn't watchtower slow guard's speed to enter and exit watchtower?Huge problems.

i don't think they would take up a huge space, nor would they slow speeds entering the room. not a huge problem, just hire an extra couple of guards.(if entering/exiting the room was slowed.)
Last edited by acegamer08 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Person012345
level2
level2

Postby Person012345 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:53 pm

Konni wrote:
It's really great that the devs include the community as much as they do as well.

I had a good chuckle over that one.

The lawyer thing actually sounds pretty intriguing. Why not get penalty points and have your "Prison Manager license" revoked after stacking up too many of those? This would actually add a little challenge to the game. You should also get penalty points for ignoring certain prisoner's needs for too long. If you employ a tough regime and let them work more than 8 hours a day, they should be able to file complaints to authorities. If too many complaints are filed, you get penalty points and have to invest money into your lawyer (similar to education programs etc) who will deduct those points over time. That would actually make for a really nice feature to add much needed challenge.

That sounds terrible (and I think it's something that they removed). Just let us get rid of the valuation penalty, but slowly and perhaps make it costly.
laser50
level2
level2

Postby laser50 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:00 pm

While new features and all is pretty nice, expanding the existing ones would work better. Mainly prisoner and guard AI could probably get some great additions to make them feel more real and less generic.

Didn't vote for expanding upon exsisting features, though, since it seems like a lost vote.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:17 pm

I vote for simulation systems. That seems like something that needs to be here as early as possible in order to better see what happens to the game as objects and tools to interact with the simulation are added.
Konni
level1
level1

Postby Konni » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:01 pm

That sounds terrible (and I think it's something that they removed). Just let us get rid of the valuation penalty, but slowly and perhaps make it costly.

So you tell me, you actually feel challenged by the game? Hmm, the only challenge for me is to let the prison grow bigger and bigger and to make things more efficient. I think, the option of losing your prison after a number of "mishaps" is of a far bigger challenge even in "end-game" stages. If you made a mistake at the beginnen, don't worry: your lawyers will take care of it.
Raaaahman
level1
level1

Postby Raaaahman » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:41 pm

I actually like the sandbox mode and wouldn't be interested at all for campaign and even scenarios (although that could change). Didn't see any game breaking bugs (lucky me?) and the game could benefit from balancing the way to make money, but right now, i'm very intrigued by the new mechanisms that you could add, so keep the good things flowing!
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Postby RichieGrape » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:03 pm

laser50 wrote:While new features and all is pretty nice, expanding the existing ones would work better. Mainly prisoner and guard AI could probably get some great additions to make them feel more real and less generic.

Didn't vote for expanding upon exsisting features, though, since it seems like a lost vote.
i agree but than again idk.. feels more like something for beta or a rainy day when chris has extra time...

Raaaahman wrote:I actually like the sandbox mode and wouldn't be interested at all for campaign and even scenarios (although that could change). Didn't see any game breaking bugs (lucky me?) and the game could benefit from balancing the way to make money, but right now, i'm very intrigued by the new mechanisms that you could add, so keep the good things flowing!

yea overall the game works pretty well...rarely run into anything major.. only glitch i still see is sometimes walls end up as not accessible even though workers can get to both sides even than i found a work around ... balancing money can actually be done by you or by installing someone elses mod

i'm hoping for more violence in my prison...drug induced rages... social interaction ... fights with prisoners circling around =P... shankings ...poisonings ... premeditated/group escape attempts (maybe even outsider involvement ....and last but definitely not least (not really last but don't wanna keep typing) i would really love to rotate my map ...the road going vertical drives me nuts for some reason.

edit: overdoses, sickness, fake sickness(contraband/escape attempt), overdoses as attempted murder, Guns free zone, Guard corruption, perm solitary lockdown options (glass walls? hannibal anyone?), intake(holding and processing area)

multi color jumpsuits(able to choose what color inmates were useful in segregated prisons where multi areas are the same security level allowing you to choose what color each area is using... currently i intake only max so they come in red..i use a shared holding cell and normal sec cell blocks...when i'm ready to send inmates to cell block i change their sec level to medium so they wear orange and head to general pop...when they are coming up for release i set them as min sec which sends them back to holding and i grab a new red wearing inmate and change him to orange...gives me alot of control on where they are at ...also gets released prisoners out faster

...this might also be useful for assigning who works and who doesn't ...need commissary and able to pay prisoners for their work though for it though to make it worth while i guess i'm saying a a reward system to go with the punishments system... nicer stuff for cells and multi regimes would all go well with this if it affected prisoners mood in some way

lastly for real ... some prisoners should try to escape even though your prisoner is a 5star hotel... maybe xander is happy in prison but has a newborn at home he wants to get to? =P (sorry x had to through you in there) being happy there wouldn't make him not wanna get out... take the shawshank redemption for example... andy seemed pretty happy in jail...while as the old man didn't want to leave
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Postby thekillergreece » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:57 pm

acegamer08 wrote:

i don't think they would take up a huge space, nor would they slow speeds entering the room. not a huge problem, just hire an extra couple of guards.(if entering/exiting the room was slowed.)

The problem is, how can they be made? They shouldnt be same as other buildings though.
acegamer08
level3
level3

Postby acegamer08 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:48 pm

thekillergreece wrote:
acegamer08 wrote:

The problem is, how can they be made? They shouldnt be same as other buildings though.

the fact that there will be no 2nd/3rd floors in the game, tells me if it is made, it will be on the ground floor, just like any other room in the game..im wondering myself if it can be made. I would have thought they would have put it in the last update alongside the tazers. I still think they may add it because of the wording in the description for the yard....I guess we will have to wait an alpha or two (three, four.....) to see.
issartinho
level1
level1

Postby issartinho » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:58 am

I vote for new simulation systems and for better mod support.
I don't explain why new simulation systems.
For a better mod support because, in my case, have help on translation mod would permit to spread Prison architect word.
By help, i mean :
- Introduce accent or special letter, it's not a big work in my opinion and it will be really helpful.
- Get more files available to translation.

Thanks for all ;).
LordMarconius
level1
level1

Postby LordMarconius » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:36 pm

I (and currently the majority, it seems) would like to see the simulation become more in-depth. The more things you have to watch out for, the more complex prisons will become, and thus the more choice and options the player has.

One other thing I'd like (not sure which I should vote for for this) would be some way to allow players to really make the kind of prison THEY want. So say have the option to have more than one prisoner in a cell, have prisoner shifts, just more choices in general really. I want to see this game enable players to make anything from a horrible gulag to a total luxury white-collar prison!
laser50
level2
level2

Postby laser50 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:21 pm

RichieGrape wrote:
laser50 wrote:While new features and all is pretty nice, expanding the existing ones would work better. Mainly prisoner and guard AI could probably get some great additions to make them feel more real and less generic.

i agree but than again idk.. feels more like something for beta or a rainy day when chris has extra time...

Well, right now, things like the contraband system are nice and all, but what do they do? All it adds is prisoners continuously trying to steal my spoons, while doing not much else with them.

Return to “Community Members”