Big problem with the current pathing system

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Ax1007
level0

Big problem with the current pathing system

Postby Ax1007 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:07 am

So Ive noticed inside my prison the pathing system is designed around number of doors, rather than distance AND that it ignores whether doors are open or not. That means if anybody wants to move to a location, they choose the path first that passes them throguh the least number of doors, then I assume if there is an equal number, they choose the shorter of the two.

This is really wasteful. The main problems are:

[*] Workers will take extremely long routes in order to build things if you have a lot of internal doors, taking far longer even including if the doors are closed and require opening.
[*] If the doors are locked OPEN then its even more ridiculous, and prisoners and workers take bizarre routes to get to places despite the quickest route being direct.

Right now I am seeing workers and prisoners loop back around entire prison blocks to get to a nearby room, just because there is an extra set of open doors, it really doesnt make sense.

The way I could see a fix is by not including Locked Open doors, and doors that the person has clearance to when calculating pathing. For example a worker would see a path consisting of 3 Staff Doors as 0 doors in total and favor that path. A Prisoner would see it as 3 etc.
ouyin2000
level1
level1

Re: Big problem with the current pathing system

Postby ouyin2000 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:46 am

It's annoying when visitors and released prisoners use my Garbage area to exit rather than the main entrance/exit which has a set of metal detectors.
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Postby thekillergreece » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:51 am

ouyin2000 wrote:It's annoying when visitors and released prisoners use my Garbage area to exit rather than the main entrance/exit which has a set of metal detectors.

They dont choose garbage area. They choose the closest area to leave. I always my set my garbage area on the right side of the road and the released prisoners or visitors still use the closest area to leave. It has nothing to do with garbage area.
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:48 pm

thekillergreece wrote:
ouyin2000 wrote:It's annoying when visitors and released prisoners use my Garbage area to exit rather than the main entrance/exit which has a set of metal detectors.

They dont choose garbage area. They choose the closest area to leave. I always my set my garbage area on the right side of the road and the released prisoners or visitors still use the closest area to leave. It has nothing to do with garbage area.

Correct. I always only use one entrance/exit to the road so that I can control where they go in and out. My workmen have to carry the garbage a little further but that's not that much of an issue for me :P
ouyin2000
level1
level1

Postby ouyin2000 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:56 pm

I have a secure garbage and delivery area on the left side of the road to help alleviate some of the job queues by letting prisoners move ingredients and such. Since the garbage area is the most southern entrance (just a regular door then a staff door) visitors and released prisoners use that as their exit, not the main entrance. I have even tried setting up a separate Main Exit further south of the garbage area, but it still doesn't work.
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Postby thekillergreece » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:03 pm

ouyin2000 wrote:I have a secure garbage and delivery area on the left side of the road to help alleviate some of the job queues by letting prisoners move ingredients and such. Since the garbage area is the most southern entrance (just a regular door then a staff door) visitors and released prisoners use that as their exit, not the main entrance. I have even tried setting up a separate Main Exit further south of the garbage area, but it still doesn't work.

Is it the closest area to leave?

Return to “Community Members”