Suggestions from a Criminologist

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

cfpsmatt
level1
level1

Re: Suggestions from a Criminologist

Postby cfpsmatt » Tue May 20, 2014 5:24 pm

I kind of like how philosophical this thread got and how quickly that happened as soon as the death penalty was brought up. I am from the UK, we don't have the death penalty, but we do have a sentence for "on her majesties pleasure" which is life with no chance of parole other than if you are given a royal pardon. I do think the game might benefit from an extra class of "ultra super bad" prisoners like mass murderers and organised crime leaders like mafia bosses, people who need a very special level of security and add an extra challenge to the games later stages when you can easily hold hundreds of regular inmates.

There ought to be prisoner boss levels if you want to take them on, so to speak. Bring in prisoners who will be a really really big challenge.
Sneak69
level0

Postby Sneak69 » Sun May 25, 2014 1:36 am

mcgillicuddy wrote:LIFE SENTENCES
- I currently have one prison with only MAX level prisoners, and all of my prisoners who have murder sentences are only serving 25 years for the offense.

25 years is a life sentence in Canada. Also killing someone with a knife in the UK is 25 years.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Sun May 25, 2014 4:11 am

You can get a max of 20 years for murder where I come from.... Life without parol if the person killed was a cop.
Robbedem
level2
level2

Postby Robbedem » Sun May 25, 2014 2:46 pm

Where I live murder (second degree) ranges from 20 till 30 years. Murder (first degree) is life sentence.
However, a judge can based on circumstances reduce the sentence for murder to only 3 years! (sentecenes can also be made longer)

Another law also states that a prisoner first becomes eligible for parole after 1/3 of the sentence, meaning that it is technically possible for a person convicted of murder to be released after only 1 year of prison. (it's not very likely though ;) )
laser50
level2
level2

Postby laser50 » Sun May 25, 2014 9:02 pm

10 points for introducing the death sentence world-wide. Anyone with me on that?

If we're gonna talk death sentence any way, it's pretty simple in my mind; If you murder, or rape, or whatever would normally be worth a death sentence. Fucken do it already. No more overcrowded cells, too.

In that manner, I really like the way some Arabic countries deal with, or used to deal with theft. Simply cut off their hand. They'll learn.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Mon May 26, 2014 12:19 am

laser50 wrote:10 points for introducing the death sentence world-wide. Anyone with me on that?

If we're gonna talk death sentence any way, it's pretty simple in my mind; If you murder, or rape, or whatever would normally be worth a death sentence. Fucken do it already. No more overcrowded cells, too.

In that manner, I really like the way some Arabic countries deal with, or used to deal with theft. Simply cut off their hand. They'll learn.

Hell no. If someone did something like that to my family (or really any human being) I would prefer that they be punished for it, and be forced to pay back for violating the rules of my society, rather then simply forcing someone to have to kill them in turn. Besides it seems as if they just get the easy way out then. They are just dead - where's the punishment in that? The victims have to live the rest of their lives with the results of their actions, but they just get to check out?
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Tue May 27, 2014 2:13 am

There ought to be prisoner boss levels if you want to take them on, so to speak.

Er... no.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Tue May 27, 2014 5:19 am

I like the idea of a 'boss level' but in the form of a super-max. The game wiuld obviously have a bit of narrative, and swollen give you ward of a small amount of prisoners. Each one with a different hard to deal with trait. These prisoners would be very adapt at escaping and/or using their trait to cause trouble. It would be your job to hold them. Holding them would require an extensive, over designed prison.
CJH
level2
level2

Postby CJH » Tue May 27, 2014 7:34 pm

In Sweden you get like max 10 years for murder = Life sentence. Its ridiculous
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue May 27, 2014 11:22 pm

CJH wrote:In Sweden you get like max 10 years for murder = Life sentence. Its ridiculous

Why is that ridiculous? And what do you mean by "10 years = life sentence"? Or am I misreading that statement?

xander
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Wed May 28, 2014 3:22 am

mcgillicuddy wrote:EXECUTIONS
- While I know that the death penalty is not yet here and will probably be in a future build it would be realistic if the prisoners had to wait for their appeals process to go through. For instance, a death row inmate could actually sit on death row for 20 years before being executed.

Welcome to the forums. We could always base the executions off like the ones in mainland China, three weeks and lights out. :D
Jailer
level2
level2

Postby Jailer » Wed May 28, 2014 10:31 am

xander wrote:
CJH wrote:In Sweden you get like max 10 years for murder = Life sentence. Its ridiculous

Why is that ridiculous? And what do you mean by "10 years = life sentence"? Or am I misreading that statement?

xander

I think CJH implies that max sentence is 15 years and you get paroled after 2/3rds of the sentence - so life sentence is actually 15 years but you get released in 10.

As for the 'ridiculous' part - that is an entirely different discussion - (although I have a solution for that which this margin is too small to contain).
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed May 28, 2014 3:18 pm

Jailer wrote:I think CJH implies that max sentence is 15 years and you get paroled after 2/3rds of the sentence - so life sentence is actually 15 years but you get released in 10.

That doesn't mean that a life sentence is 15 years (or 10 years). That means that the maximum sentence is 15 years, and a life sentence is not an option. I'm still confused.

xander
CJH
level2
level2

Postby CJH » Wed May 28, 2014 3:24 pm

In my opinion its way too mild of a punishment, they get to play xbox and learn to be real criminals at the same time. Was somone who mentioned earlier that 20 years is a joke, so i just wanted to input, if someone thinks 20 years a joke look how we have it.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed May 28, 2014 3:54 pm

CJH wrote:In my opinion its way too mild of a punishment, they get to play xbox and learn to be real criminals at the same time. Was somone who mentioned earlier that 20 years is a joke, so i just wanted to input, if someone thinks 20 years a joke look how we have it.

Ah. I see. You believe that the purpose of prisons is to provide retribution. Got it.

xander

Return to “Community Members”