[SUGGESTION] Wood Chopping Job and new Yard Ideas

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Shark4675
level0

[SUGGESTION] Wood Chopping Job and new Yard Ideas

Postby Shark4675 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:56 am

So perhaps have a wood chopping area basically workers who work in the workshop will now also go Chop wood if there isn't any there by making there AI quite a bit smarter and more useful.
You can assign an area outside as the wood chopping area so they don't go two far out allowing them to escape.
They will chop trees on there own and will bring them to the workshop areas.
They will also Grow trees at the same time if there ain't any around making it fully automated.
This way you don't do any work what so ever and all you have to do is wait a bit.
Also another suggestion would be to have a huge max size for the yard that way that you have to actually fence off the area around your prison and make that the yard area like in real life.
Also Yards would have new jobs mining. Yep where bringing the chain gang to this game!
[s]They make money by mining rocks also you can now have a furnace or something in the workshop or you can sell the raw ores they find. They mine Rocks and Ores and make tons of money based on how rare it is.
IE Rocks sell the least but Iron would sell for more and Raw Iron would sell for less then iron ingots.
Also the yard[/s]
EDIT
So change of idea
What if you had Mining as mainly being to make a little bit of money and only mine rocks.
But Prisoners who do this work get the tired bonus and will be two tired to Riot at the pricetag they would be two tired to work either. But you can use this as a punishment via the Prisoner Policy
So it would make a little bit of money and add a new way to punish people.
So do you guys think this is all a Good idea?
I think it is I mean it's a simulation game and the Yards ain't simulated right you can have a tiny yard without any problems and it's a bit Dumb really that you have a simulation game where the point is to be as real as possible when I think IRL I'd be a pretty angry prisoner if I was shoved into this tiny yard every day.
And another idea would be to have it so the smaller the yard is the less people you can have working and they will become more and more unhappy and will not get a boost to there freedom needs unless the yard is big enough. So you could have the yard any size but bigger is better.
Also pretend the BBCode up there is working. I don't even know what I'm doing wrong BBCode has always tortured me personally I hate it and They should just remove BBCode all together what a piece of crap.
Last edited by Shark4675 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:41 am, edited 6 times in total.
UberFuber
level1
level1

Re: [SUGGESTION] Wood Chopping Job and new Yard Ideas

Postby UberFuber » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:00 pm

Shark4675 wrote:So perhaps have a wood chopping area basically workers who work in the workshop will now also go Chop wood if there isn't any there by making there AI quite a bit smarter and more useful.
You can assign an area outside as the wood chopping area so they don't go two far out allowing them to escape.
They will chop trees on there own and will bring them to the workshop areas.
They will also Grow trees at the same time if there ain't any around making it fully automated.
This way you don't do any work what so ever and all you have to do is wait a bit.

I believe similar functionality is already planned.
Shark4675 wrote:Also another suggestion would be to have a huge max size for the yard that way that you have to actually fence off the area around your prison and make that the yard area like in real life.

I believe that some real-life prison have very tiny yards (mostly for max-sec prison, I think).
Shark4675 wrote:Also Yards would have new jobs mining. Yep where bringing the chain gang to this game!
They make money by mining rocks also you can now have a furnace or something in the workshop or you can sell the raw ores they find. They mine Rocks and Ores and make tons of money based on how rare it is.
IE Rocks sell the least but Iron would sell for more and Raw Iron would sell for less then iron ingots.

A few issues.
1. Mining requires there to be a viable ore deposit, you can't just plot an yard down and expect to find ore. Plus, it is highly unlikely for an ore-rich land to be used for prison, more likely it would be bought by mining company.
2. Mining requires a lot of equipment (even if you decide to use prison labor for most everything), plus its a fairly dangerous occupation. Chances are good that the public/government would frown upon you killing your prisoner left and right (especially if they're min-sec prisoners).
3. The rock-breaking labor you see in movie is mostly for punitive purposes, they're hard-work designed to tire prisoners out. It is true that quarrying do bring in some money, but its primary purpose appears punitive.
Shark4675 wrote:Also the yard
So do you guys think this is all a Good idea? I think it is I mean it's a simulation game and the Yards ain't simulated right you can have a tiny ass yard without any problems and it's a bit bullshit!
And another idea would be to have it so the smaller the yard is the less people you can have working and they will become more and more unhappy and will not get a boost to there freedom needs unless the yard is big enough. So you could have the yard any size but bigger is better.

Friendly suggestion, avoid using profanity, it make you and your idea seem childish and not worth listening to.
As for the yard size, the idea is good that yard area per prisoner should effect how fast the prisoner's need "recharges. Also note that since this is a game base on 1x1 meter grids, there's bound to be some scaling issues. For example, all wall is 1 meter thick. Granted, its prison, but I don't think even prison uses 1 meter thick walls internally unless its something like the perimeter wall.
HeroFV
level2
level2

Postby HeroFV » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:39 pm

I'm pretty much agreeing with everything UberFuber said :P
UberFuber
level1
level1

Postby UberFuber » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:05 pm

On note of mining, it is possible for prison to be situated next to a quarry. But again, it's not just wherever you designate a yard. More likely it would have to be an on-map resource that's possible.
HeroFV
level2
level2

Postby HeroFV » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:37 pm

Yeah I know I have seen a Quarry in the suggestions list already, but it was still just an open suggestion.
Shark4675
level0

Postby Shark4675 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:28 am

3. The rock-breaking labor you see in movie is mostly for punitive purposes, they're hard-work designed to tire prisoners out. It is true that quarrying do bring in some money, but its primary purpose appears punitive.
Shark4675 wrote:Perhaps have it so that mining is mainly for rock mining and makes a little bit of money.
but while it only makes a little bit of mining they would become tired and would riot less as they would not have the energy to riot. And you could also have it so in the prisoner policy you can change some things to where you can have mining as a punishment.

Return to “Community Members”