[Suggestion] Shortcut keys

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Regi524
level0

Re: [Suggestion] Shortcut keys

Postby Regi524 » Fri May 30, 2014 11:22 am

stoner7 wrote:Speaking of shortcuts, I would like a Door mouse-click. That is, left-click the door: it opens, pauses a few seconds, then closes. This would be time-saving for situations when I need to open a door to let Workmen/Prisoners into restricted areas, visitors in from the outside, the new road gate, released prisoners, etc. The right-click menu would continue to operate as is. If the door is already open, then left-click would have no effect.

Or, as a shortcut key: when the mouse hovers over a door, push a key to toggle door status. Push key once to open; push same key again to close. This would work well with programmable gaming mice where I would assign a specific mouse button to that key.

Finally: make any shortcut keys (including the ones listed in fresh meat's post above), as user-selectable/programmable.

That's possible, just rightclick on the door you want to open. It must be set on 'normal' mode though,
gunhed508
level1
level1

Postby gunhed508 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:02 am

I've only recently jumped in to play the game, and it feels a bit click-happy for me (as in RSI). Being primarily a keyboard guy, I thought of a few suggestions for shotcuts:

- (P or 0) pause, time speed: (+ or =) increase, (-) decrease
- (Ctrl+S) save game, (Ctrl+L) Load
- (F5) quicksave, (F9) quick load

Screen / Panel Navigation
- (P) open/close Reports panel; use (PageUp / PageDown) to flip from report tab-to-tab
keys for other panels, also:
- (F) Foundations
- (B) Beauracracy
- (U) Utilities
...etc.
- or, a simpler solution: ([) and (]) square brackets to navigate left/right along the icons along the bottoms screen, maybe (SHIFT+LEFT) and (SHIFT+RIGHT) instead - perhaps (SHIFT+A) and (SHIFT+D)?

- (S) search selected item, (C) search cell of selected item
- allow multiple selections by holding SHIFT or CTRL
- (X) to center the screen on selected object or the cursor

You could set the cursor's "mode" to one of many tools, like:
- Search Tool, for example, causing a clicked object to be searched by a guard
- Open/Close Door Tool to toggle a door open or closed, same as a guard
gian284
level0

Postby gian284 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:44 am

Hot keys to where when you have an object/inmate/or cell selected you can search without having to point/click would be nice. Also, perhaps a shift + select ability to select multiple items to be searched without having to click each object one by one, or having to use the search cell/block option would be great as well. :D
scribaniwannabe
level0

Postby scribaniwannabe » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:00 pm

I have been playing since early 20 alphas and really like the game. We're now in alpha 36 and I've loved watching the game grow and enjoying the alpha videos.
However this is something I'm surprised isn't being suggested more. It's a feature I would not expect to see this early but should definitely be considered in the future especially that this game has come such a beautiful long way.

Bad UI can completely ruin an otherwise incredible game and prison architect is such an incredible game. Controls should feel like an extension of your body and thoughts and currently that's just a little lacking. There needs to be as little time as possible between a task forming in my mind of what I want to do in the game, and then actually implementing it. Right now, there is to much pointing and clicking and even searching through the large library of objects. (Totally not complaining about the library of objects). The point-and-click is actually great for a touchsreen version of this game. I love actually that I technically do not need the keyboard at all to play this!

However when the time comes I want sit down and do some serious and awesome prison-architecting I should have the option to blow away game challenges with an arsenal of key taps.

This post:

gunhed508 wrote:I've only recently jumped in to play the game, and it feels a bit click-happy for me (as in RSI). Being primarily a keyboard guy, I thought of a few suggestions for shotcuts:

- (P or 0) pause, time speed: (+ or =) increase, (-) decrease
- (Ctrl+S) save game, (Ctrl+L) Load
- (F5) quicksave, (F9) quick load

Screen / Panel Navigation
- (P) open/close Reports panel; use (PageUp / PageDown) to flip from report tab-to-tab
keys for other panels, also:
- (F) Foundations
- (B) Beauracracy
- (U) Utilities
...etc.
- or, a simpler solution: ([) and (]) square brackets to navigate left/right along the icons along the bottoms screen, maybe (SHIFT+LEFT) and (SHIFT+RIGHT) instead - perhaps (SHIFT+A) and (SHIFT+D)?

- (S) search selected item, (C) search cell of selected item
- allow multiple selections by holding SHIFT or CTRL
- (X) to center the screen on selected object or the cursor

You could set the cursor's "mode" to one of many tools, like:
- Search Tool, for example, causing a clicked object to be searched by a guard
- Open/Close Door Tool to toggle a door open or closed, same as a guard

The space bar already pauses and the +/- keys adjust the size of your UI. This is already fine actually. I like the idea of incorporating tab somehow and using certain letters and shortcuts to get the menus. Whether or not players use them is besides the point, the availability should be there though. I am not a fan of specialty mouse tools. Those can get confusing and traditionally can confuse or even deter the new user. The new player experience is great as is for the most part I think, but the user should be able to discover things "as they go" and realize things like keyboard shortcuts but not be penalized or limited because they do not know those shortcuts when they start.

(Clash of Clans is actually a great example of UI implementation mixed with lowering new users' learning curves!)

Bottom line: Without sacrificing the current usability of just the mouse, add some keyboard shortcuts and keep that learning curve as low yet sexy as possible.

Great game developers! Happy to be apart of the alpha. You are all doing a wonderful job.
-Alex

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmvW6ySfN8MmPxnh9Ic2qxrCzampIFG5I
Jailer
level2
level2

Postby Jailer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:23 am

What about a menu option where you can bind selection objects to keys?
Alternatively, have it in the left-click menu - but that's more intrusive..
blackdwarf
level2
level2

Postby blackdwarf » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:11 pm

I strongly support the addition of hotkeys. Player re-definable hotkeys would be best.

A couple related Mantis entries:
http://bugs.introversion.co.uk/view.php?id=5889
http://bugs.introversion.co.uk/view.php?id=4841

It doesn't hurt, and may well help, to "declare your stance" for these entries. Near the bottom under "Issue Community Support".

Return to “Community Members”