[Suggestion] Buying prisons off the Steam Workshop

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

christopher1006
level5
level5

[Suggestion] Buying prisons off the Steam Workshop

Postby christopher1006 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:22 am

Something that would be very interesting to do (for me at least) would be to bring in some more integration with the Steam Workshop. Currently we cannot sell those prisons downloaded off of the Workshop but I want the ability to buy them as my own and grow from there.

-The player downloads a prison from Steam Workshop in to their "Catalogue". If they have enough money from selling their prison, they can buy prisons to operate from there.

-The prisons are sold at their sell value (possibly more for balance?).

-Once the prison is purchased, the player can modify it as they wish and sell the prison to get profit like they normally would.

-When the prison is bought, none of the staff or prisoners will be there and the deployment zones are reset.
xander
level5
level5

Re: [Suggestion] Buying prisons off the Steam Workshop

Postby xander » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:56 am

christopher1006 wrote:--==<snip>==--

I am opposed to this idea. In order to implement it, you would need a secure balance sheet that the players themselves cannot tamper with so that the transactions can be made. This seems to fly in the face of IV's "You can tamper with ANYTHING!" ethos. It also discourages players from messing around with other people's stuff, since they would need to grind enough gold to pay for it, first.

xander
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:46 pm

I kinda like it, it would bring the player more in the role of a Prison Architect instead of a Warden.

I would like to see eg. the daily income go to a shared account which you can use for all your prisons. right now if you have one succesfull prison, you can sell it for a few million and that's no longer fun in my point of view
CplHenderson
level2
level2

Postby CplHenderson » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:56 am

I disagree with xander; buying prisons could be implemented with the "tamper with anything" mentality included. If you want to download the prisons off the workshop and use them, go for it, but if you want to play the game as a businessman/architect with an ever expanding realm, you would have that option. It could be a sort of endgame, buying bigger and bigger prisons.
variablenonsense
level1
level1

Postby variablenonsense » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:00 pm

Eh, I don't like this at all. I can't even quite put my finger on why, it just seems 'ehhh' to me. It's sort of meh @ open sharing and everything, maybe that's it.
macobsession100
level0

Postby macobsession100 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:49 am

I agree with xander. If we could buy prisons then someone could just edit the save file and give themselves $900000 and make lots selling it on the market
simz04
level1
level1

Postby simz04 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:37 pm

Id rather have the DEVs release a level editor so people can realease maps/campaign with different challenge.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:50 pm

simz04 wrote:Id rather have the DEVs release a level editor so people can realease maps/campaign with different challenge.

The file format for the maps is pretty simple---I believe that someone has already written a map editor. As to campaign levels, it is all done with lua scripting, I think, so should be fairly accessible.

xander
JaymesKeller
level0

Postby JaymesKeller » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:06 am

Hold on. There are two ways, I think, that might be used to pull this idea off:

Number 1: The "mumorpuger" approach, with one central server storing a balance sheet for a multiplayer mode. This does go against the "screw about with everything and see what happens" ethos of Introversion.

Number 2: The P2P approach, with each user connecting to multiplayer acting as a node. If there is a major change to a balance sheet of a player, the nodes can vote to allow the change or not.

..Yeah, I haven't thought this through, have I?
blacksythe
level2
level2

Postby blacksythe » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:15 pm

I propose a 2 tier system for this, each prison uploaded to steam workshop is marked as purchasable +price

The player can download this prison at no expense to themselves.

A single player option which can be enabled/disabled client side which basically says "prisons must be purchased a tick box which says yes or no.

That way the players that want to toy with any prison thats uploaded in sandbox can choose to disable this option and play the game like it is t the moment.

Other players can choose to download the prisons and work towards them with their current prisons.

This opens up the market for a lot of player created content that people can choose to follow or not. simple no messy servers no long hours of debugging code which will likely get hacked anyway.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:05 pm

Coming to this discussion a little late, but I don't see why this would be fun. Can somebody clarify? It seems to me that it's adding to the sometimes tedious endgame management with no benefits for the fun building up part.
JSD
level1
level1

Postby JSD » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:17 am

I find it a very strange thing to give Steam users all this extra "benefits". That way you create some sort of Steam community, and you punish (sort of) the people who bought the game straight from Introversion/there site. I bought it from the site for one reason only; They deserved it. Introversion deserved it. I don't want anything to do with Valve. My choice, my opinion, I know. But it's pretty weird that I have to sign-up or have to use Steam to share a prison with other users and or find/download mods. I don't want to do that, so I can't share my prisons the "normal" way. Turns users to "illegal" and of creative things. I have my own server, so I can use that, but most users have to turn to upload sites and or some lame ass cloud stuff. That can't be really the intention. Users that "Dropbox" a prison because Stream is the only real way to share it. For a company point of view that's a no go. For a product your asking money from, it shouldn't depend on Valve servers/service. Buy/rent another server, setup the online services that you want, and host it yourself. This is asking money/being online kind of service via Valve. If you want the option to share stuff, you should give it, host it, support it, and then use the Steam Workshop as an extra service. To serve some extra people. This is the other way around. Fuck Steam! I don't want it. Nobody needs it. It's a platform some people use. Others don't. Steam has it's own benefits by having Steam cards/achievements. Steam workshop is a really, really bad idea. You don't need Steam and or Valve to play Prison Architect. Why would you force a Steam Workshop for a sharing and or modding community and have all this extra benefits? That's twisted..
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:44 pm

Because my comrade,( wait, I assume you live in a capitalist country so umm.. Sir or madam?) that we all live in a world were corporations own all.

Ok, no but happy lunar new year! I finished setting of like 40 lbs of explosives!
blacksythe
level2
level2

Postby blacksythe » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:38 pm

JSD wrote:and you punish (sort of) the people who bought the game straight from Introversion/there site. I bought it from the site for one reason only; They deserved it. Introversion deserved it. I don't want anything to do with Valve.

There is absolutely no reason why something like this cannot be implemented without it benefiting everyone, I amend my solution to include that prisons by default have information linked to them as purchasable +price and aany and all prisons have the option on single player to be bought or not bought by in game money earned from building prisons that way you can enjoy prison architect without valve turning you off (pun intended)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:05 pm

111none wrote:Because my comrade,( wait, I assume you live in a capitalist country so umm.. Sir or madam?)

I prefer "tovarisch".

xander

Return to “Community Members”