Tips and tricks after 50 hours of gameplay

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Vark
level1
level1

Tips and tricks after 50 hours of gameplay

Postby Vark » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:46 pm

Hello architects!

2weeks ago I bought the game on steam and started playing. Intentionally with the idea to play and report after I've played a few hours (approx 50 hours ingame time now). Suggest some ideas and notify some things to (fairly new) players.

First of all, I started building my first prison after 3-4hours watching tutorial movies on youtube. - This helped alot since you have no decent clue on where to start as a new player.
Second, when my first prison was done I build three more prisons (All with selling 1, building the new one with the earned money from the last one) - This is how you start and grow in the game without cheating. - Start with some normal and low risk prisoners to get comfortable with the game.

My fourth prison was the first on a Medium map.
I just started planning stuff out, based on experiences in the last four prisons. - Think about walking routes, what your regime will look like etc.
After about 7-8 hours of planning (Yes, Im a perfectionist) I started to build my whole prison. (I started with 750.000$ and at the end I had about 100.000$ left.)
Things I build:
- 1 Storage, close to the 'delivery' - Walking time
- 191 cells divided in 3 blocks, all blocks had a common room, a shower, a laundry and a cleaning cupboard. - At the sides of the map so you end up with a great yard in the middle
- 1 holding cell, close to the entrance - I don't really need it because my prisoner capacity is huge, this way there are always free cells
- 20 solitary cells - Just make them 1 or 2 squares, no need to put some luxuries in the dark hole where they get punished. - I based this number on the max cells / 10, I know thats more like 19 but that would make an ugly looking block, aesthetics aesthetics
- 1 canteen and 1 kitchen, in the middle of the map - Keeps the walking time low and eating time high. - Canteen closer to the entrance than canteen
- 5 offices, for the respected 'Warden', 'Accountant', 'Chief', 'Psychologist' and the 'Foreman' - Place where ever, just watch out for seperate entrances to the outside in case of cleaning prisoners walking outside the walls, they run.
- 2 Staff rooms, 1 in the left top corner and 1 in the right bottom corner - Walking time
- 1 (huge) visitation room, with atleast 1 side to the road, - I intend to build 1 cell door at the inside of the prison for the prisoners to enter the visitation and 1 cell door at the outside of the prison for the visitors. (Cell doors are chosen because guards will always come to open them, this makes sure prisoners don't run from the visitation to the free world!) build your visitation with like 10% of your max prisoners capacity in tables (I actually got 18, suited better for my design and again, aesthetics aesthetics.
- 2 infirmaries with a morgue 'in' them, 1 in the left top corner and 1 in the right bottom corner - 1 should be enough, my mistake on building two. - Keep close to the cell blocks because when they are injured they will go: Cell -> Infirmary -> Cell -> Solitary (if you punish them like that in the 'Policy' tab - Again, walking time is the trick
- 2 Kennels, 1 in the bottom left corner and 1 in the top right corner - You could settle with 1, just build enough dogcrates (actually I don't know the percentage of crates based on the number of K9 units, if someone has any numbers on this I would really appreciate that!!)
- 3 workshops, close to the delivery - Walking time - Try to seperate the walking routes of kitchen deliveries and workshop deliveries, this way the workers won't go through any room to maximize the working time (The workers will stop to let eachother through)
- 1 huge yard, preferably in the middle of the map - Pay more attention to this place if your regime includes some hours in the Yard.
My whole prison was done, no more building to do, nothing more to add or remove. Recently I added some stuff in a few places but you will read that later. - This way you can focus on your guard patrols, job assignment for the prisoners, regime tweaking, contraband watching.
After building and everything.
After everything was done I opened the prison income. This actually goes really sloooooooooow. I have a max capacity of 191 prisoners and I keep getting stuck between 90ish and 120ish. - This is with max, normal and low risk prisoners. (If you put normal and low on 'Closed' and only accept high risk prisoners you could get around 200ish I read on the forum, ONLY DO THIS WHEN YOUR PRISON IS RUNNING PERFECT, high risk prisoners require alot more attention than normal and low ones.)

To be honest, my first 3 prisons were build while prisoners kept coming (I didn't know I could close the prisoner income -.-' ) and the last two were build and then opened, this worked pretty good for me. Probably because Im a perfectionist.

When my prison hit around 90ish prisoners (low, normal and high risk) I started to get problems with my food and with the needs. It's actually not the same every day, day 1 they might want a shitload of recreation and the other day they skipped their diet and eat like freaking cows.
The whole game is based around two things actually (atleast that's what I got from it.)
1 : REGIME - You need to look closely a few ingame days to the needs and the regime, adjusting and adjusting is key. - Tips for this will come later in the post
2 : WALKING ROUTES - This is important because prisoners walk the same way every day when your regime is steady. For instance: Sleep - Shower - Work - Eat. You might want to think about this when you are planning the prisonwalls and rooms in the start. You might for instance build these things in a line so the walking time from room to room isn't too big. (Don't worry about this on a small map though)

If these are both allright you are done for 75% approx. After that it's just checking where contraband is stolen, where you should have guard patrols and adjust the jobs by the number of prisoners.

Allright then, some tips and tricks for a few things in the game (based on my point of view, if you think you have better solutions for things PLEASE put them in the comment, the more people know the more fun it is to play this game)

Regime
This is one of the main things in the game. Actually this is learned through playing and watching the 'needs' tab in the 'Reports' map. but I will give some things away.
- Prisoners probably only need 4-5 hours of sleep. - I found out that once in a few days you need to add 1 more hour to sleep to set things straight
- Eating is a huge stress factor in this game. Sometimes they don't make enough food, sometimes they make way too much. Adjust this by adding more jobs or more cooks. When it comes to the eating time in the Regime you need atleast 4 hours between each eating time. I usually do it like this: 3/4hours of work followed by 2/3hours of eating, this way your workers will help the cooks with the food making (don't forget to assign prisoners to the kitchen in the 'Jobs' option).
Every prison is different, you need to check with the first 20-30 prisoners when the 'Needs' tab says they need food, remember these times and try to get the bar a little bit red/orange before you serve them food, this way they will eat like idiots, stuff themselfs and don't need food too soon again. Usually they need 2 eating periods a day. - DON'T try to build 2 kitchens and 2 canteens, only if you want to slam your pc through the wall, they will cook in 1 kitchen and bring it to the other, such idiocy.
- In the last prison I build the prisoners have like 4-5 hours of free time, 2 hours of yard time and 6-7 hours of work time, they are not at all complaining about freedom or whatever.
- Also, when it comes to your job assignment, try to get like 50-75% of your prisoners to work, this way the prisoners who have needs which should be taken care of will not work and the prisoners which are totally satisfied will. Usually this makes sure prisoners will always have their needs satisfied(Green) or medium(Yellow).

Walking routes
- As said earlier, try to put thought in your planning of your prison. You might think: "Oh man, just start building and let prisoners in allready!!" But at the end it will pay off. You won't need to spend money on demolishing stuff and building it again. Planning requires time and can be boring but atleast have a general idea of how it should be.
- This is especially for the walking times in the prison. If your staff and prisoners need to walk marathons to arrive at their destination they will lose a lot of time and have less time to fill their needs. This way you won't have a lot of money coming in from your workshops and you will need more staff, both of these will make you lose money. We don't want that!
- Usually my prisons look like a donut, at the edges I have my offices, visitation, infirmary/morgue, solitary, cellblocks (read 'Things I build' for the things that are in them), holding cell, workshops, kennel(s) and in the middle I got my canteen, kitchen and yard. - Meh I know, this could be much better but I will test that in a new prison soon. Going to try to put my workshops in the middle too, this will make sure both things prisoners will always go to are in the middle of the map, making sure the walking times are even lower.
- The incoming prisoners will come in a range of 8-26 (from my own experience, this could be higher but I didn't experience that yet.). These prisoners will need to be taken off the truck to the deliveries, Sometimes when prisoners do something on the truck they will leave the truck. (I had a few prisoners who started 'Soaking uniform' on the truck, aka just pissing all over yourself (on a freaking truck, get yourself together for crying out loud.)) So once in a while you have a prisoner on top of the map just waiting to get picked up by a guard. When you get alot of prisoners at once, like 15 or more, you might want to create a new guard patrol route and assign ALL your guards to that route until you see 0/?? guards available on top of your screen. When the first prisoners truck arrives, delete like 8 guards from the temporary route and they will instantly pick up the prisoners from the truck. For the second, delete 8 guards from the route again, and so on. (Dont forget to delete the whole route when the prisoners are inside so you don't have useless guards at the outside of your prison.) This worked for me all the time, also it makes sure your prisoners wont hang too long 'outside' your prison and take a run for it. What also works is assigning a dog patrol route with 1 or 2 dogs at the entrance, this way ALL incoming will get sniffled on by the dogs and could detect anything that has a smell (drugs, medicine, cigs, poison or whatever else has a smell)

This was it for this time, may do this again when another version comes out!

I also noticed some other 'annoying' things in the game, I will create a new thread for that.

Hoping this helped anybody, feedback is always welcome and enjoy designing!

Greetings

Vark
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Re: Tips and tricks after 50 hours of gameplay

Postby thekillergreece » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:52 pm

2 Kennels? Dont you think that dogs get confused and want to sleep dog crates that are in kennel 2 and they are in kennel 1..
Vark
level1
level1

Postby Vark » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:55 pm

thekillergreece wrote:2 Kennels? Dont you think that dogs get confused and want to sleep dog crates that are in kennel 2 and they are in kennel 1..

I actually have one dog standing near the gate of the first kennel and isn't going to move any time soon so it seems! Probably that is the cause, gonna try and delete 1 of them to see if it works out!
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Postby thekillergreece » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:07 pm

Vark wrote:
thekillergreece wrote:2 Kennels? Dont you think that dogs get confused and want to sleep dog crates that are in kennel 2 and they are in kennel 1..

I actually have one dog standing near the gate of the first kennel and isn't going to move any time soon so it seems! Probably that is the cause, gonna try and delete 1 of them to see if it works out!

Only use 1 Kennel. Same goes to Kitchen as well.
Meeeps
level3
level3

Postby Meeeps » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:29 pm

Vark wrote:- 1 Storage, close to the 'delivery' - Walking time
confirmed, but not close to delivery, it should be close to the unloading trucks. (well, between unloading trucks and deliveries zone)
- 191 cells divided in 3 blocks, all blocks had a common room, a shower, a laundry and a cleaning cupboard. - At the sides of the map so you end up with a great yard in the middle
fine except laundry, multiple dedicated laundries are not supported
- 1 (huge) visitation room,
8 tables handle my 500 inmates prison
- 2 infirmaries with a morgue '
disagreed, multiple infirmaries are also not supported, morgue should be near hearse loading park
- 2 Kennels,
multiple kennels not supported
- Eating is a huge stress factor in this game.
be sure to setup the kitchen so food is prepared before eat (don't have too many cookers) and use a lot service tables (1 for 4 cookers), I assigned 1 prisoners per cooker and 1 cook per 2 cookers
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Postby thekillergreece » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:36 pm

Multiple laundries are fine, as well as workshops nor cleaning cupboard. The only not fine is Kitchen,canteens and Kennels. Huge conflicts.
Vark
level1
level1

Postby Vark » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:01 pm

confirmed, but not close to delivery, it should be close to the unloading trucks. (well, between unloading trucks and deliveries zone)

Im gonna try this, this also means I have change the location of the deliveries? And if it is between my delivery zone and unloading trucks, isn't it all about walking back and forth by that time?

Laundries actually are beginning to have problems, I have 3, 2 of them have ran out of Laundry baskes twice. The third is stocked with them, probably shouldn't build too much baskets I guess. 1 of the points I intended to change in my next prison, thanks alot though.

I sometimes have 11 groups visiting, got around the 150 inmates atm with all the categories of prisoners open. So I actually gonna stick with the 5-10%ish factor of tables vs inmates.

disagreed, multiple infirmaries are also not supported, morgue should be near hearse loading park

Im dutch, help me out: "Hearse loading park"? Until now I don't have any troubles with them but that is probably because I don't have any violence in my prison :) Will keep an extra eye out! Thanks!

- 2 Kennels,
multiple kennels not supported

I noticed and adjusted it, working fine now! Thanks!

- Eating is a huge stress factor in this game.
be sure to setup the kitchen so food is prepared before eat (don't have too many cookers) and use a lot service tables (1 for 4 cookers), I assigned 1 prisoners per cooker and 1 cook per 2 cookers

Finally numbers on this horror! I just went with random numbers, just adjusted until it was fine. My serving tables vs cookers ratio is pretty messed up (got 22cookers and 10serving tables) Also you got anything on sinks vs serving tables (to me it looked like every serving table needs a sink but Im not sure about that) and also on cookers vs fridges (Looks like every 2cookers need 1 fridge but also, not sure)
jois13
level2
level2

Postby jois13 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:02 pm

Can we have a screen shot of your prison! Love to see it! I'm like you I spend hours planning the prison...but then...I scrap it and spend another 7hours! :D
Joe
Vark
level1
level1

Postby Vark » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:20 pm

jois13 wrote:Can we have a screen shot of your prison! Love to see it! I'm like you I spend hours planning the prison...but then...I scrap it and spend another 7hours! :D
Joe

Here you go, if your screen isn't big enough: the link is below the picture :)

Probably there are a shitload of things wrong with it, every feedback is welcome! :mrgreen:

http://imgur.com/qq3ernM
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:31 pm

It's not wrong, it's just not the most efficient layout
matts
level1
level1

Postby matts » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:35 pm

The debate on number of kitchens and canteens.. I have two canteens on top and bottom of the kitchen. At first food wasn't being served to the top canteen but over time food started getting served to both but it seems not enough food is being served to the top canteen. So, multiple canteens do function, just not well enough.
Vark
level1
level1

Postby Vark » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:49 pm

knoest26 wrote:It's not wrong, it's just not the most efficient layout

Any pictures of efficient layouts? Would love to see all sorts of prisons people build!
In my defense, efficient is usually pretty ugly, which doesn't really fits my style of building :mrgreen:

matts wrote:The debate on number of kitchens and canteens.. I have two canteens on top and bottom of the kitchen. At first food wasn't being served to the top canteen but over time food started getting served to both but it seems not enough food is being served to the top canteen. So, multiple canteens do function, just not well enough.

Myeah, in my opinion that means that it doesn't function. It could mess up your prison later on and therefore it's not encouraged to do so.
Hopefully they fix this in the next update, would give a shitload of more options in how you can build the prison :D
Meeeps
level3
level3

Postby Meeeps » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:52 pm

Vark wrote:

Im gonna try this, this also means I have change the location of the deliveries? And if it is between my delivery zone and unloading trucks, isn't it all about walking back and forth by that time?

Most workmen idling at Storage, so that is the reason, it needs to be near the trucks, deliveries zone needs to be close to kitchen and workshop, rather then the unloading trucks. (alos secured, else prisoners won't help you carry the stuff)

Laundries actually are beginning to have problems, I have 3, 2 of them have ran out of Laundry baskes twice. The third is stocked with them, probably shouldn't build too much baskets I guess. 1 of the points I intended to change in my next prison, thanks alot though.

Well you can have multiple laundries for workforce but only one room needs to be equipped.

I sometimes have 11 groups visiting, got around the 150 inmates atm with all the categories of prisoners open. So I actually gonna stick with the 5-10%ish factor of tables vs inmates.

Visitors have 12h time to visit, they do not need to visit all at once...

Im dutch, help me out: "Hearse loading park"? Until now I don't have any troubles with them but that is probably because I don't have any violence in my prison :) Will keep an extra eye out! Thanks!

The trucks which transport the dead bodies. After a riot you can have 50-100 dead bodies...
Vark
level1
level1

Postby Vark » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:29 pm

Most workmen idling at Storage, so that is the reason, it needs to be near the trucks, deliveries zone needs to be close to kitchen and workshop, rather then the unloading trucks. (alos secured, else prisoners won't help you carry the stuff)

So deliveries doesn't have to be next to the unloading trucks?
Because only food, metal plates and new prisoners will end up there since the rest will be instantly dropped off at the storage which they pass when walking towards deliveries?

Well you can have multiple laundries for workforce but only one room needs to be equipped.

- Such a smart move, implented that now, lets see how that works out for my prison :)

Visitors have 12h time to visit, they do not need to visit all at once...

- Ashamed I didn't think of that..

The trucks which transport the dead bodies. After a riot you can have 50-100 dead bodies...

- Never got any riots so I don't have a lot of experience with these, will use it in my next prison! Thanks
rorycar8898
level1
level1

Postby rorycar8898 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:58 pm

The good thing about having separated cell blocks, is that during riots, if you do a lockdown and bangup, only 1/3 of your prison is rioting. My prison is terrible for riots (have 371 max prisoners, all in 9x25 cell blocks only 2 meters away from each other. I also like having "misconduct false" in the PA files, stops them from fighting (not rioting) but you get a load of contraband.

Return to “Community Members”