Modding question

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

MiriW
level2
level2

Modding question

Postby MiriW » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:35 pm

Been messing around with a way to add new objects to the game, instead of replacing existing ones.
Does anyone know if it is possible to add an entirely new entry?
knoest26
level5
level5

Re: Modding question

Postby knoest26 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:27 pm

You can't and shouldn't, wait for Introversion to put them in
MiriW
level2
level2

Postby MiriW » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:33 pm

"Shouldn't"? Introversion introduces a modding system, allowing us to edit looks of objects, but would be unhappy with us adding one? I don't see the logic there. It's a mod... that's the whole point.
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:39 pm

Well, I was assuming (maybe falsely) that you want to put eg. the armoury in the game, which currently does exist but isn't available ingame.

For adding objects I think you need to wait a while untill that becomes supported
MiriW
level2
level2

Postby MiriW » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:09 pm

I, personally, have no issues with people adding the armoury - it would at best be a decoration, as support for it hasn't been implemented. Why would it matter?
However, I was thinking more along the lines of a Christmas tree or a jukebox, but hey, I guess I'll just go the official way and make the electric chair appear as a Christmas tree in both name and looks. The problem with that route is that Christmas trees will appear in death rows all across existing save games if they choose to use the mod, whereas a new object wouldn't bother anyone. This would also allow me to add Christmas style and Hanukkah style decorations separately and allow people to choose for themselves which they want in their prison.
There really was no need to get all uppity and superior on me.
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:21 pm

Ahh, in that case I guess my answer should have been 'you can't'
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Postby thekillergreece » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:25 pm

MiriW, I had pm you, check my message pal
Master-Guy
level2
level2

Postby Master-Guy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:09 am

At this moment, it is only possible to replace game data files. This means that if you want to add an item, you will need to 'add' ALL the original items as well.
Because of the way the game loads the mods, it is not possible to load two mods that edit the same files. If you would try, one of the mods would be overwritten by the other.
MiriW
level2
level2

Postby MiriW » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:13 am

Adding all the original items along with any new aren't the issue - it's making the new one appear ingame in the objects menu. I hope this will be a possibility eventually, as extra items would make it possible to create the "Hotel Architect" mods etc people suggest to run on the PA engine. I love this game and the more ways I can play it in, the better :)
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Postby thekillergreece » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:39 am

MiriW wrote:Adding all the original items along with any new aren't the issue - it's making the new one appear ingame in the objects menu. I hope this will be a possibility eventually, as extra items would make it possible to create the "Hotel Architect" mods etc people suggest to run on the PA engine. I love this game and the more ways I can play it in, the better :)

Hotel Architect?lol... Would wonder how you will turn staff into to :P
planettop92
level2
level2

Postby planettop92 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:32 pm

I think the main difficulty in adding new objects is that there are already a ton of available objects within the game and the menu to add them is probably hard-coded by IV considering how they made it so certain objects light up when a room is in focus. Then there's also the issue of varying sprite sizes, number of rotations, and location of the sprites on the sprite sheet. I'm really hoping it's more dynamically categorized and implemented in the future. If all modders want is to add decor objects, then I don't think this should be a problem if IV sets a good standard to follow.
MiriW
level2
level2

Postby MiriW » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:38 pm

Those things are mostly defined in materials.txt and objects.spritebank (and probably more places that I didn't look in). Like I said, replacing an item with a new one, changing it's type etc is possible (although when I attempted changing cost the game didn't much accept it), it's merely not possible to add a brand new item to the actual ingame menu unless if you nick an existing slot for it.

Offtopic: Anyone else acutely aware that we are approaching the end of the month and checking for a new alpha constantly? My f5 button hasn't been this overworked since the days of BBS style interwebs.
planettop92
level2
level2

Postby planettop92 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:08 am

MiriW wrote:Those things are mostly defined in materials.txt and objects.spritebank (and probably more places that I didn't look in). Like I said, replacing an item with a new one, changing it's type etc is possible (although when I attempted changing cost the game didn't much accept it), it's merely not possible to add a brand new item to the actual ingame menu unless if you nick an existing slot for it.

looks like IV's one step ahead of me then haha. For the menu problem, maybe they could add variables for what rooms objects should light up in and a variable for which menus objects should appear in: materials, objects, or utilities. I have no clue whether or not they'll actually read this however.

MiriW wrote:Offtopic: Anyone else acutely aware that we are approaching the end of the month and checking for a new alpha constantly? My f5 button hasn't been this overworked since the days of BBS style interwebs.

Yeah, I'm constantly checking the forums too, haha. Especially now that school's out and I actually have time to do so. I'm expecting armories now, thanks to: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=46049

Return to “Community Members”