MEANWHILE AT THE HALLS OF JUSTICE!!!!

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

snarst
level2
level2

MEANWHILE AT THE HALLS OF JUSTICE!!!!

Postby snarst » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:10 pm

I suggest that we have a parole board that meets to decide if prisoners should be released on parole. The prisoner in question will go to the designated room the day his sentence reaches the blue line, perhaps with his lawyer, to argue for his early release. The warden and perhaps the lawyer should go there as well to argue against it or recommend him if he has been a good prisoner. (The choice is yours)

Does anyone think that this is how parole should work?
planettop92
level2
level2

Re: MEANWHILE AT THE HALLS OF JUSTICE!!!!

Postby planettop92 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:16 pm

yes, however, as the prison "architect," that is not our job :P
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:51 pm

I believe parole is planned but it's unknown how it will work. Perhaps there will be penalties for keeping prisoners past parole without good reasons so you have to hire lawyers to fight back. I would like to have the choice but in the end I also think my choices would be biased for obvious reasons. If we could use our lawyers to fight for or against prisoner parole I'd be happy.
snarst
level2
level2

Postby snarst » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:27 am

planettop92 wrote:yes, however, as the prison "architect," that is not our job :P

By that logic I could say "We're an "architect" not the guy who has to call the riot police, set the regime and choose who to hire and where guards patrol. Get rid of these features."
rorycar8898
level1
level1

Postby rorycar8898 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:59 am

I agree, though the AI and the code is really challenging, and I still like playing it by the whole prison CEO perspective. It's nice. Though I would also like to see some more gameplay with execution, and parole.
planettop92
level2
level2

Postby planettop92 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:43 am

snarst wrote:
planettop92 wrote:yes, however, as the prison "architect," that is not our job :P

By that logic I could say "We're an "architect" not the guy who has to call the riot police, set the regime and choose who to hire and where guards patrol. Get rid of these features."

Yeah, I was trying to make a reference to the death row tutorial:
The CEO wrote:It's not our place to decide if [the prisoners] deserves this. The Law has made that decision. We're just here to do a job.

I like to think of myself more as a designer than an architect though. The prison was designed towards a certain regime (e.g. showers close to the cell block so they could shower when they wake up), with this many staff, and with guards patrolling in these core areas.

You do have a point about the Emergency units; being able to micromanage everyone's movements is probably not something for the architect/designer to do. I also think IV mentioned something about having everything being completely automated at one point; however, I don't support getting rid of features. They do add to the enjoyability of the game, I must admit, and seeing more and more features being added to the game is the whole reason why I bought the game while it's still in alpha in the first place.

I like your idea, but in perspective, having to manage a 200 prisoner capacity or more prison and managing each and every one of their sentences might be a bit much. It really comes down to how these and any additional features are implemented. If it's implemented correctly and everyone likes it, then there's a greater chance of it becoming a core component of the game. If it's implemented poorly, however, then it's just another superfluous task you're placing on your players.
MiriW
level2
level2

Postby MiriW » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:38 am

I actually like micromanaging stuff...
snarst
level2
level2

Postby snarst » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:57 pm

planettop92 wrote:
snarst wrote:

Yeah, I was trying to make a reference to the death row tutorial:
The CEO wrote:It's not our place to decide if [the prisoners] deserves this. The Law has made that decision. We're just here to do a job.

:oops:

I like your idea, but in perspective, having to manage a 200 prisoner capacity or more prison and managing each and every one of their sentences might be a bit much. It really comes down to how these and any additional features are implemented. If it's implemented correctly and everyone likes it, then there's a greater chance of it becoming a core component of the game. If it's implemented poorly, however, then it's just another superfluous task you're placing on your players.

Large prisons with more than 200 people could see several people reaching parole time a day, min security prisoners are usually in and out fast without parole so a large min security prison would be a nightmare with this feature.
rorycar8898
level1
level1

Postby rorycar8898 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:00 am

snarst wrote:Large prisons with more than 200 people could see several people reaching parole time a day, min security prisoners are usually in and out fast without parole so a large min security prison would be a nightmare with this feature.

Though, I like to play it with Max security, (someone is in jail for 90 years) and I find myself having to build more cells often, though it would be nice to have parole as an option (like fog of war, continuous intake, etc.), for people who like to play with max security prison would probably turn it on, and min security would turn it off. My prison would fail at parole (I find prisoners every hour with tools, weapons, drugs, and luxuries), but with parole, I would like the staff to make prisoners try to not cause trouble as much.
planettop92
level2
level2

Postby planettop92 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:19 pm

I've been thinking about this, maybe the best way to implement parole for larger prisons would be similar to how policies are currently implemented. A parole tab could have certain set expectation bars which we could lower or increase. Depending on the prisoners' behavior and how much they've met those expectations, the decision could be made algorithmically, thus autonomously within the game.

MiriW wrote:I actually like micromanaging stuff...

Nothing wrong with that. I just think its better to have both automated and manual options to let people play it the way they want. :)

Return to “Community Members”