Suggestion: Allow Janitors & Workmen to open Doors

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

chrisf8657
level0

Suggestion: Allow Janitors & Workmen to open Doors

Postby chrisf8657 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:12 am

As the title suggests, I would suggest allowing Janitors and Workmen to be able to unlock jail doors so they don't have to wait for a guard.
xander
level5
level5

Re: Suggestion: Allow Janitors & Workmen to open Doors

Postby xander » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:58 am

chrisf8657 wrote:As the title suggests, I would suggest allowing Janitors and Workmen to be able to unlock jail doors so they don't have to wait for a guard.

Just so that you understand the full ramifications of your suggestion, this would require that they carry keys with them, which could then be stolen by prisoners.

xander
planettop92
level2
level2

Postby planettop92 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:01 am

xander wrote:
chrisf8657 wrote:As the title suggests, I would suggest allowing Janitors and Workmen to be able to unlock jail doors so they don't have to wait for a guard.

Just so that you understand the full ramifications of your suggestion, this would require that they carry keys with them, which could then be stolen by prisoners.

xander

Wouldn't that add more challenge to the game and provide more purpose to Fog of War? By stealing keys, Prisoners should theoretically have access to staff only areas and increase their chances of escape.

edit: although, I don't see why workmen would need keys...
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:34 am

Why don't you just use staff doors instead of jail doors? They function exactly the same, except that ALL staff have keys for them. I never use jail doors except on the individual cells because those slied open during the day automatically.
planettop92
level2
level2

Postby planettop92 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:01 am

VoiD88 wrote:

Why don't you just use staff doors instead of jail doors? They function exactly the same, except that ALL staff have keys for them. I never use jail doors except on the individual cells because those slied open during the day automatically.

Jail doors are stronger than staff doors and can all be closed during a lockdown. Even if they're only used for cells, janitors still need to be able to open them in order to clean the cells. It's not a major problem having to wait for guards to open each cell though.
Meeeps
level3
level3

Postby Meeeps » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:52 pm

well, janitors and gardeners getting killed very easy, and then the escape would be easy if the keys would open jail doors too. I would use prisoners to clean common rooms, a janitor should only be used if you have staff only rooms. There is a simple "trick" to open jail doors during night by having only 1-2 h sleep and then free time in the regime, prisoners will continue with sleep but the cell doors are open.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:38 pm

planettop92 wrote:
xander wrote:

xander

Wouldn't that add more challenge to the game and provide more purpose to Fog of War? By stealing keys, Prisoners should theoretically have access to staff only areas and increase their chances of escape.

I wasn't making any judgment about whether it would be good or bad for staff other than guards to carry keys, only noting that it would be a requirement. As to workmen not needing keys, how else are they going to get through locked doors? If you want someone to go through a locked door, they need to open that door with a key, which means that they need a key which can be stolen.

xander
matts
level1
level1

Postby matts » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:52 am

I understand the negative aspects of letting workmen/cooks open jaildoors. But, the delays from people stacking up behind a door waiting for a guard just gets annoying. Food doesn't get served because cooks are stuck behind doors, prisoners get mad because "Eat" is over and are still hungry. I would say giving cooks keys would fix more prisoner frustration than workmen or Janitors.
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Postby RGeezy911 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:32 am

As mentioned before, staff doors can be used for areas that have heavy foot traffic from the staff.

For me, I'll place down some Jail Doors in areas where heavy prisoner foot traffic will most likely be, and Staff Doors in areas that mostly staff will be in including my deliveries zone so my cooks can get in and out.

Alternatively, you can right click on doors to manually open them without the need for a guard.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:20 am

RGeezy911 wrote:Alternatively, you can right click on doors to manually open them without the need for a guard.

This is my strategy. I put jail doors in any room that could potentially be accessed by prisoners, but keep them locked open most of the time. This works better than staff doors or ordinary doors in the event of a riot and lockdown.

xander
ADM-Ntek
level1
level1

Postby ADM-Ntek » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:26 pm

xander wrote:
RGeezy911 wrote:Alternatively, you can right click on doors to manually open them without the need for a guard.

This is my strategy. I put jail doors in any room that could potentially be accessed by prisoners, but keep them locked open most of the time. This works better than staff doors or ordinary doors in the event of a riot and lockdown.

xander

i do that too. i also like to place locked open jail or large jail doors behind staff doors this way in case or a riot you have some extra time to turn on lockdown since they have to break the staff door first.
Meeeps
level3
level3

Postby Meeeps » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:37 pm

matts wrote:I would say giving cooks keys would fix more prisoner frustration than workmen or Janitors.

Why not simply use staff doors? (Edit: If that suggestion would be implemented, there would be no need for staff doors anymore.)
Last edited by Meeeps on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
planettop92
level2
level2

Postby planettop92 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Meeeps wrote:well, janitors and gardeners getting killed very easy, and then the escape would be easy if the keys would open jail doors too. I would use prisoners to clean common rooms, a janitor should only be used if you have staff only rooms. There is a simple "trick" to open jail doors during night by having only 1-2 h sleep and then free time in the regime, prisoners will continue with sleep but the cell doors are open.

That's a nice trick, I gotta try that out sometime.
planettop92
level2
level2

Postby planettop92 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:45 pm

xander wrote:
planettop92 wrote:
xander wrote:Just so that you understand the full ramifications of your suggestion, this would require that they carry keys with them, which could then be stolen by prisoners.

xander

I wasn't making any judgment about whether it would be good or bad for staff other than guards to carry keys, only noting that it would be a requirement. As to workmen not needing keys, how else are they going to get through locked doors? If you want someone to go through a locked door, they need to open that door with a key, which means that they need a key which can be stolen.

xander

And I was trying to lead to more discussion going off your "understand the full ramifications of [the] suggestion." For janitors to open doors, they would be allowed to clean any part of the prison at any given moment in time. The con to this is that prisoner's have a higher chance of stealing keys which can be balanced from the janitor to prisoner ratio of the cleaning cupboards. As is, the only way for prisoner's to get keys is if they brought them in with them (has this been fixed?) or if they steal it from an armed or unconscious guard.

I don't see any extra benefit for workmen to have keys since there's already a "locked open" option in the deployment screen for allowing certain areas to be unlocked. Presumably, the areas in which the workmen will be needing to get to in order to construct the new building. However, the con of prisoner's being able to steal keys would still exist. IMO it would make more sense for prisoner's to steal a hammer or screwdriver from a workmen instead of a key which they have no reason (that I can think of) to have.
matts
level1
level1

Postby matts » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:27 am

Meeeps wrote:
matts wrote:I would say giving cooks keys would fix more prisoner frustration than workmen or Janitors.

Why not simply use staff doors? (Edit: If that suggestion would be implemented, there would be no need for staff doors anymore.)

Deliveries is right outside the front gate. The front gate needs to be stronger than just a staff door. I tried the open locked doors thing and a gun got smuggled in, as is expected.

Return to “Community Members”