Modding Prison Architect

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Smodd
level1
level1

Re: Upcoming feature : Mod support

Postby Smodd » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:57 pm

Master-Guy wrote:Didn't you upload it somewhere? You can try downloading it from there again.
As far as I see my upload went without any problems, but when selecting it in the workshop, it does not download :S

I uploaded the version for 1.6 on (wait for it)..... STEAM -.-
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:19 pm

The game really shouldn't delete your local data. At all. Ever. Out of interest, did you subscribe to your own mod?
MiriW
level2
level2

Postby MiriW » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:21 pm

I tried it, but it made no difference that I could tell.
gmyx
level1
level1

Postby gmyx » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:14 pm

Would it be possible to load other text files (such as materials.txt) like the language file. That is merge them on load. This would allow us to create additional materials without overriding the built-in settings as well as not needing to update with every alpha.
Smodd
level1
level1

Postby Smodd » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:25 pm

elDiablo wrote:The game really shouldn't delete your local data. At all. Ever. Out of interest, did you subscribe to your own mod?

Yes I subscribed to my own mod. That's the only part of the problem where I think something could went wrong.

Well... anyway: Even though if i subscribe my own mod it should NOT only delete my files. Overwrite? - Ok! Copy? - Ok! But never ever ever EVER just delete my files (funfact: my folders are still there)! To your question on Mantis @elDiablo: Like I said my data for 1.6 are gone, also Steam says it has 1,4MB data :evil: . I can offer you the latest version I uploaded for 1.5 --> http://prison-exchange.com/browse/mods/ ... ersetzung/
Last edited by Smodd on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:31 pm

I might have an idea that if you subscribed to your own mod, and then unsubscribed, it might delete it. If you unsubscribe from someone else's mod, it deletes it from your local drive (so that it doesn't reappear in your list), but it shouldn't do this with your own mods.

For now, please avoid subscribing to your own mods. I'll have a look to see if this is the problem, and then fix it. The fix will only likely be in A17 as it's an avoidable bug (just don't subscribe to, or unsubscribe from, your own mods). Obviously the game should never delete files that you personally make and send to the Steam Workshop.
Smodd
level1
level1

Postby Smodd » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Could be... :cry:

Well it wouldn't be so bad, if I could download those files again, but Steam won't let me :/

Please try to fix the bug so everyone can download the mods. It's quite important for all of us
robly18
level0

Postby robly18 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:59 pm

So, question about this modding support: is this merely to make translations, scenarios and texture packs or do we have, or will ever have, the ability to make our own furniture, staff and things of the like?
Fishbus
level0

Postby Fishbus » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:46 am

Hey guys, I Hope you've all had a great Christmas.

I've just come back home from the holidays to stumble into an odd mod publishing/subscribe bug. so I'll just explain what I did;

I was on another computer when the holiday update came out, and I took the liberty of grabbing my mod files via the mod-wiki/dropbox download, logging into steam and just publishing them there and then. Fine, nothing bad and everything's published and going grand (for posterity: simple needs icon mod).

So I've gotten back home today, got back to my source files (and my own machine), did some changes that I wanted do since publishing. After doing all the changes required.... I can't actually re-publish the mod (as in a green owned one), because the game doesn't think it belongs to me (so it wants be to publish another one). I also can't actually subscribe to my own mod as well (I renamed and created a backup folder just to make sure) to no avail. It's very weird and I hope some of you folks might be able to shed light on it!

Cheers!
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:25 am

robly18: At the moment, you can't put in your own objects. It is something we're thinking about though.

Fishbus: The problem you're having is that the game can't link your published mod on Computer A to your unpublished mod on Computer B. When you publish a mod, the game adds a few lines (namely FileID and AuthorID) to your manifest.txt file. In order to get the game to recognise your mod as published is to copy the manifest.txt from your published mod to your unpublished mod, and then restart the game. If you don't have access to the old manifest.txt any more, send me a PM and I'll sort it out for you.
Fishbus
level0

Postby Fishbus » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:31 pm

Thanks elDiablo. I managed to fish out the IDs from the manifest from the other computer.
XiaNaphryz
level0

Postby XiaNaphryz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:09 am

So I'm trying to make a basic mod to quickly swap in some custom names in place of the ones with the game. I've created a names_in_the_game.txt file in mods/mod_name/data and activate it in the game, but the original name file seems to still be loaded instead of the one I modified. Am I missing something?
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:19 am

You can't mod the names in the game list.
XiaNaphryz
level0

Postby XiaNaphryz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:27 pm

elDiablo wrote:You can't mod the names in the game list.

Really? That's a bummer. This old link implied that at one point we were able to?

http://devwiki.introversion.co.uk/pa/in ... l_Alpha_14

It listed fornames.txt and surnames.txt as part of the files that could be modded.

Has this changed because of the name in game price tier? Is there a way to add specific names in another way? Through making a Campaign maybe?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:46 pm

XiaNaphryz wrote:
elDiablo wrote:You can't mod the names in the game list.

Really? That's a bummer. This old link implied that at one point we were able to?

A slightly different take on elDiablo's response is that you cannot use the new modding system to release mods that change the "Name in Game" list. You can still modify that file on your own system (by directly altering/replacing the file in main.dat), but this file is not read out of a mod directory, hence proper mods cannot change it.

As to adding specific names in another way, I can think of two possibilities: one would be (as you suggest) to alter the surname and forename files (which, to the best of my knowledge, can be modded and will be read from a mod directory), and the other would be to include named prisoners in a .prison file.

xander

Return to “Community Members”