excessive hiding of contraband

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

knoest26
level5
level5

excessive hiding of contraband

Postby knoest26 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:45 pm

I'm not sure for how long contraband is shown in the contraband viewing screen but one of my prisoners was rather keen of my cuttlery....

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... creenshots

How does this happen?
christopher1006
level5
level5

Re: excessive hiding of contraband

Postby christopher1006 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:06 pm

Currently out of all of those only the spoon will really be a red flag. Check his needs, he probably has a fed unmet needs.
Chewbacado
level2
level2

Postby Chewbacado » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:50 am

knoest26 wrote:I'm not sure for how long contraband is shown in the contraband viewing screen but one of my prisoners was rather keen of my cuttlery....

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... creenshots

How does this happen?

How does it happen? Very carefully.
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:52 pm

I really do hope that there is a chance that certain prisoners are just compulsive thieves... no motivation, just hoarders who may accidentally make stuff available to worse prisoners.
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:59 pm

lugaru wrote:I really do hope that there is a chance that certain prisoners are just compulsive thieves... no motivation, just hoarders who may accidentally make stuff available to worse prisoners.

Well the prisoners do have hidden traits, not sure if this is one of them, although the screenshot would make me a believer. Would be nice if the player had some more options regarding "troublesome" prisoners like this. I know you could move their cell, change their security classification etc., but it would be nice if you could fine-tune your guards to keep an eye on this one or that one.

Alternatively, alert levels were suggested previously, and it would be nice to expand upon that by having a cell block for the prisoners prone to escape, stealing, fighting etc., in addition to generic security classifications. There would be a reason to build sections of the prison differently and have the guard behavior different as well. In this case, the stealing cell block may have additional metal detectors, dogs, checkpoints, perimeter walls (or located centrally to the prison). While you can move prisoners and keep it straight in your head which blocks are for what, this needs to be more of a game mechanic I think. Prisoners also need to stick around in your prison longer. At the moment it's not really necessary to learn your individual prisoners, because they'll be released in a few game days.
dc4bs
level1
level1

Postby dc4bs » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:57 pm

Say...

What happens to all that stuff when a prisoner is released?

Does he take it with him? Does the next prisoner to use that cell "inherit" all of it?

Just a thought.
snarst
level2
level2

Postby snarst » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:18 pm

dc4bs wrote:Say...

What happens to all that stuff when a prisoner is released?

Does he take it with him? Does the next prisoner to use that cell "inherit" all of it?

Just a thought.

I think disappears because I did a shakedown a few weeks ago and a new prisoner had an escape tunnel but they didn't take him to solitary. We didn't find any items on him or in his cell so I assume the items disappeared.
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:34 am

snarst wrote:I think disappears because I did a shakedown a few weeks ago and a new prisoner had an escape tunnel but they didn't take him to solitary. We didn't find any items on him or in his cell so I assume the items disappeared.

There is an issue at the moment with finding escape tunnels in prisoners' cells with the current occupant not being cited for an escape attempt. Transfers are a little more complicated, and it's unclear how this will be handled. A few options come to mind:

1. It's not your lucky day. If you transfer to a cell with a tunnel that's discovered it's assumed to be yours and you take the punishment.
  2. Give non-escape inclined prisoners the ability to bring the tunnel's existence to a guard's attention and avoid the first option if they should discover a tunnel in their new cell. Perhaps they'd be additional incentive in the way of good behavior or reduced sentence.
  3. Have guards automatically (or at least provide the player the option) shakedown a cell when it changes hands. The old occupant is then charged with the escape attempt and punished according to the prison policy.
I personally think the third option is the most realistic and game play beneficial.
snarst
level2
level2

Postby snarst » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:18 am

_alphaBeta_ wrote:
snarst wrote:I think disappears because I did a shakedown a few weeks ago and a new prisoner had an escape tunnel but they didn't take him to solitary. We didn't find any items on him or in his cell so I assume the items disappeared.

There is an issue at the moment with finding escape tunnels in prisoners' cells with the current occupant not being cited for an escape attempt.

They get cited. This guy was cited but they never doled out the punishment since he couldn't have dug it. However I agree that the cells should be searched when a prisoner leaves.
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:11 pm

snarst wrote:They get cited. This guy was cited but they never doled out the punishment since he couldn't have dug it. However I agree that the cells should be searched when a prisoner leaves.

I was under the impression that the game doesn't currently connect finding a tunnel with who occupies the cell, unless the prisoner is found inside the tunnel at the time of discovery. You're saying that they are charged with an escape attempt, but never given a punishment? You're also saying that the game appears to have the intelligence to understand that the current occupant didn't dig the discovered tunnel? I assumed this wasn't there, based on my impression above, but it's not something that we can easily test without being lucky (having an identified case where a prisoner started a tunnel, was released or moved, and then have the tunnel be discovered when the cell has a new occupant) or have access to debug tools. I'm just curious where exactly the bug is, if there is one, since I never thought to see if the escape attempt was added to the prisoners' recent misconduct.
snarst
level2
level2

Postby snarst » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:58 pm

_alphaBeta_ wrote:
snarst wrote:They get cited. This guy was cited but they never doled out the punishment since he couldn't have dug it. However I agree that the cells should be searched when a prisoner leaves.

I was under the impression that the game doesn't currently connect finding a tunnel with who occupies the cell, unless the prisoner is found inside the tunnel at the time of discovery. You're saying that they are charged with an escape attempt, but never given a punishment? You're also saying that the game appears to have the intelligence to understand that the current occupant didn't dig the discovered tunnel? I assumed this wasn't there, based on my impression above, but it's not something that we can easily test without being lucky (having an identified case where a prisoner started a tunnel, was released or moved, and then have the tunnel be discovered when the cell has a new occupant) or have access to debug tools. I'm just curious where exactly the bug is, if there is one, since I never thought to see if the escape attempt was added to the prisoners' recent misconduct.

I do my shakedowns just before and during sleep time and he was just standing in the cell when the dig icon showed up and I went to look at the cell. Bad for drug and luxury punishment since its lock down I know but it gets the job done.

Return to “Community Members”