Shaving and keeping your hair in order

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Jacq
level1
level1

Shaving and keeping your hair in order

Postby Jacq » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:56 pm

I was just wondering, how does shaving and cutting hair work in a real prison? Obviously its something thats dealt with so the prisoners dosnt look like Taliban members, but is it a personal thing? Do they get a razor or is there a barber in the prison that takes care of this particular job?
Kolchak
level2
level2

Re: Shaving and keeping your hair in order

Postby Kolchak » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:24 pm

I'm not sure about real prisons, but I do think it would be a good idea to implement
For the game I think it would have to be a barbers that they went to (to exploit the full potential), this would be an excellent source of contraband, would provide some employment, and could even be used by gangs as a method of assassination (if there was insufficient security presence). It would also work well with a vetting system for jobs (which I'd like implemented) - allowing you to bar anyone who you know to be a kleptomaniac from working there (or in the workshop!)
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:12 pm

In the US I know there's at least a few prisons that give prisoners razors, I'm not sure about high, max, and Super-Max. It's an interesting situation because it's impractical to have barbers trying to shave hundreds of prisoners per week but giving out razors holds obvious problems as well.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:41 pm

Just have everyone Nair their faces. ;)

xander
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:48 pm

I've watched way too many prison documentaries since playing PA, and what I saw was (as noted) prisoners get disposable razors for light shaving, and every once in a while a prisoner is given supervision to provide real haircuts. The hair that's removed is bagged for disposal, presumably to prevent them weaving ropes.
Sporegen
level1
level1

Postby Sporegen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:09 pm

HerrJoebob wrote:The hair that's removed is bagged for disposal, presumably to prevent them weaving ropes.

Hair as contraband? :D
Masochist
level1
level1

Postby Masochist » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:29 am

christopher1006 wrote:In the US I know there's at least a few prisons that give prisoners razors, I'm not sure about high, max, and Super-Max. It's an interesting situation because it's impractical to have barbers trying to shave hundreds of prisoners per week but giving out razors holds obvious problems as well.

That's actually not too impractical. When I joined the Marine Corps that's how they do it for your 3 months of training. Every week hundreds of recruits go through the barber shop. And the shop only had 3 barbers...each haircut only taking about a minute tops of course. That right there is about 300 people per hour.

Now as recruits we handled our own shaving but it is far less impractical than you might think when it comes to simply cutting all the hair off...just a few quick runs with a good barbers electric clippers.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:32 pm

I said impractical, not impossible. The marine Corps is quite a bit different than a prison when it comes to this. While the 3 barbers worked for that the people being shaved didn't have a reason to take the barber hostage. Every prisoner would have to be monitored because if you didn't, eventually one of them would take advantage if the free razors. And when you have hundreds, maybe even thousands, of prisoners, that's where it becomes impractical. A solution might be to do a cell block a day where the prisoners are shaved instead of yard, freetime, eating, work, etc.
Kolchak
level2
level2

Postby Kolchak » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:01 am

christopher1006 wrote: A solution might be to do a cell block a day where the prisoners are shaved instead of yard, freetime, eating, work, etc.

Yes I think there is scope for a "Mixed" option on the regime, which would allow all the stuff which we want to be staggered (searches, haircuts, possibly rehabilitation) to be assigned to different cell blocks

Return to “Community Members”