Firearms Mechanics

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Sporegen
level1
level1
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:43 am
Location: Belgium

Firearms Mechanics

Postby Sporegen » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:23 pm

When firearms are implemented, what properties will they have?

Here are some of my suggestions: (do note that i'm not a firearm expert)

- Shotguns have a lot of bullet spread, when fired this can result in hitting unwanted persons or objects should they be close enough to the target.

- When there is a person in between the target and the firearm, this person will get shot and depending on the gun type, the bullet(s) might penetrate the person and continue along their trajectory.

- Bullet shells have to be cleaned up, else they can be picked up by prisoners and used as contraband.

- Small firearms, such as pistols can be concealed, while large firearms cannot.

- Some objects can catch fire or explode when hit by bullets.

- Weak or non solid objects can be shot trough, so a guard could shoot someone trough a jaildoor, possibly also damaging the jaildoor.

- Tasers can behave in unexpected ways when used in water or humid environments (such as the showers).

- Firearms need appropriate ammo to work, limiting the amount of times they can be shot until a reload is required. This can prevent a prisoner with a stolen weapon from killing everyone in the prison.

- The player can set how much ammo armed guards carry, new ammo can be fetched in the armory.

- Riot shields are bulletproof, however high caliber firearms (such as snipers) can penetrate them.

That's all i can come up with for now, feel free to post your ideas.
spinroblox
level1
level1
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:15 am

Re: Firearms Mechanics

Postby spinroblox » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:31 am

Sporegen wrote:- When there is a person in between the target and the firearm, this person will get shot and depending on the gun type, the bullet(s) might penetrate the person and continue along their trajectory.

- Weak or non solid objects can be shot trough, so a guard could shoot someone trough a jaildoor, possibly also damaging the jaildoor.

- Riot shields are bulletproof, however high caliber firearms (such as snipers) can penetrate them.

1. yes and the penetrated bullet will go slightly slower

2. yea a shotgun for instance could destroy a door if a guard/prisoner shoots it wrong

3. that would make riot guards pretty OP unless the prisoners have accurate snipers
PD-Freak
level1
level1
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:31 am

Re: Firearms Mechanics

Postby PD-Freak » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:36 am

It sounds like an interesting idea but I am also really curious what the developers have said when it comes to weapons?
User avatar
christopher1006
level5
level5
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:01 pm

Re: Firearms Mechanics

Postby christopher1006 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:15 pm

The devs haven't said anything on weapons yet, we know there'll be snipers and shotguns but no word as to how they affect gameplay. How about the riot shield is bulletproof for the first couple shots or blunt attacks and then starts degrading to bullet resistant and eventually breaking after heavy use. This way neither prisoners nor guards can form an invincible testudo formation and destroy everyone else.
revalat
level0
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:02 pm

Re: Firearms Mechanics

Postby revalat » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:46 pm

That sounds like a good idea. would be good to see a armoury though and that you could put armed guards in towers would be great.
Shoggoth
level0
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: Firearms Mechanics

Postby Shoggoth » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:57 pm

The spread on shotguns is wildly exaggerated in media.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: Firearms Mechanics

Postby xander » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:10 pm

Shoggoth wrote:The spread on shotguns is wildly exaggerated in media.

Yeah, but a major influence for the game is media depictions of prisons (i.e. prison movies). Wide scattering might be entirely appropriate. ;)

xander
CommieKazie
level1
level1
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:33 pm
Location: United States

Re: Firearms Mechanics

Postby CommieKazie » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Shoggoth wrote:The spread on shotguns is wildly exaggerated in media.


Came here to say exactly this, it'd be refreshing to see a realistic implementation of shotguns for once. With buckshot (what is typically used) you're looking at 40-50 yard maximum effective range. A farcry from the "Whoops, he crossed the street, I guess we're done here"

http://www.chuckhawks.com/where_pattern_today.htm

Edit: What that post says in PA terms is that a shotgun blast would spread at maximum the width of a game square, and extend out ≈30-50 squares depending on what choke we use
CplHenderson
level2
level2
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 8:02 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Firearms Mechanics

Postby CplHenderson » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:40 pm

Yeah, exactly. You want to go further with shotgun realism, they get stopped instantly by doors or walls, whereas a rifle could (maybe) pierce a doorway.
yos233
level1
level1
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:27 pm

Re: Firearms Mechanics

Postby yos233 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:14 pm

It depends on the door. A regular jail door (just bars) would possibly have a 30% chance of being blocked (as well as damaging the door), and 70% chance to go through the bars. But going through a solid door would damage the door, as well as reduce the velocity of the bullet, possibly 40% for a staff door and 90% for a solitary door.

What about (and this is going really complicated) instead of saying a bullet has a range of X meters, it has a muzzle velocity. The bullet is slowed by air and doors and such, and if the bullet hits a person the speed is taken into account for the damage check.

A check is also done on the person for where the bullet hit (I'm going all RPG on you guys), and each spot has specific velocity requirements for which kind of damage is taken. Damage could be dealt in the form of lethal, incapacitated (unconscious), and nonlethal where the person takes normal damage but is still conscious and running.
killerx243
level1
level1
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Firearms Mechanics

Postby killerx243 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:05 pm

This goes good with the suggestion I had about armories and different levels of how lethal your guards will act in retaking the prison. http://forums.introversion.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=45545&start=15

yos233 wrote:It depends on the door. A regular jail door (just bars) would possibly have a 30% chance of being blocked (as well as damaging the door), and 70% chance to go through the bars. But going through a solid door would damage the door, as well as reduce the velocity of the bullet, possibly 40% for a staff door and 90% for a solitary door.

What about (and this is going really complicated) instead of saying a bullet has a range of X meters, it has a muzzle velocity. The bullet is slowed by air and doors and such, and if the bullet hits a person the speed is taken into account for the damage check.

A check is also done on the person for where the bullet hit (I'm going all RPG on you guys), and each spot has specific velocity requirements for which kind of damage is taken. Damage could be dealt in the form of lethal, incapacitated (unconscious), and nonlethal where the person takes normal damage but is still conscious and running.


I don't think it should be a case of depending on where they are shot they die instantly. Now yes If the prisoner is shot in the head or the heart they would die pretty quick. But if hit in the lungs, rare cases head or heart, or pretty much anywhere where there are organs to damage they would have some time that they need medical attention before dying.

Return to “Community Members”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests