[Suggestion] Scared Straight Program

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

sutieday
level1
level1

[Suggestion] Scared Straight Program

Postby sutieday » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:14 pm

Hi, I just bought prison architect and am new so here is my idea for the game :D ,

I have seen TV shows were kids who are at risk of going to jail are sent to an actual prison where they experience the reality of prison life in an attempt to get them to avoid doing bad things that will lead them to jail. I think it would be cool if kids would enter the prison and under supervison of the guards (with parental consent), would be lead around your prison and then would get a special area of your prison to spend the night in, I think it would be an awesome addition to the game and would make the game a lot more interesting. You could get money for every kid that comes into your prison and gets "influenced" by seeing other prisoners. If they don't get influenced, then you wouldn't get money at all. Also there is a security risk, if prisoners riot while the kids are in your jail, guards should attempt to get the kids to a safe area before taking on the riot.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Re: [Suggestion] Scared Straight Program

Postby christopher1006 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:44 am

This could be combined with other people's ideas for celebrities and special characters to give some unique opportunities for profit and moral choices(the kind of characters allowed in your prison for specific reasons.
phoenixca
level1
level1

Postby phoenixca » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:54 am

Those programs are right on the edge of being abusive (in fact, I'm rather of the opinion that they are indeed abusive; that it's been turned into entertainment is enough to make me hurl), and there's no evidence, at all, that they work. Why, oh, why, should it be in PA? I mean hell, I *get* that people want to run gulags in PA, and fine, whatever. But...a program that is absolutely, without a doubt, harmful to minors? And glorified as a way to make money? That'd be...revolting to say the least, and would only support the current entertainment industry capitalization on its apparent intuitive appeal. If it ever made it in, I'd be working on a mod to rip it right back out so I didn't have to look at it.

The *references* here (not just the article) make good reading: http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2 ... ot-really/

And I should point out that by tying the idea to the financial model of the game, the suggested feature here would be less about choice and more about "do this, or you're shooting yourself in the foot", which could be a somewhat roundabout way of punishing the players who *don't* want to partake in this...insanity, frankly.
Meeeps
level3
level3

Postby Meeeps » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:52 pm

That is exactly the reason PA should allow such things, players should be able to make moraly questionable decisions, which they would not do in RL, Best Games are those, where you can kill someone, but you do not need to.
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:13 pm

So the title made me laugh instantly, just because of the situations I can picture arising. Same goes for the previous discussions about having celebrities show up.

In terms of politics, yeah, I've actually mentioned Prison Architect in discussions on Prison Reform, mostly in the context of running prisons as a 'for profit' endeavor, as many are in the USA. I very much dont think everyone who wants to build a death camp is a nazi, but I do think some people might learn a thing or two from this game or think about a subject we ignore.
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:20 am

Here was me thinking this was going to be about scaring homosexuals. Now that would've been a tricky subject to discuss :P

Seems like an alright idea but if it did make it in, it would have to be an opt-in/opt-out scenario as seen from some replies in this topic, some folk may get offended by the idea....

Great idea in RL imo. Scare the crap out of some bad behaved kids to get them on the straight & narrow!
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:32 am

Ric666 wrote:it would have to be an opt-in/opt-out scenario as seen from some replies in this topic

Put it in as a grant.
Sporegen
level1
level1

Postby Sporegen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:12 pm

Ric666 wrote:Here was me thinking this was going to be about scaring homosexuals. Now that would've been a tricky subject to discuss :P

Same here :)

Return to “Community Members”