[Suggestion] Deploy workmen

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Petrini
level1
level1

[Suggestion] Deploy workmen

Postby Petrini » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:12 pm

Wouldnt it be nice if you could deploy work men? for example you could tell one of them to stay at the delivery and just offload trucks all day and you could also have one at the garbage filling trucks... That way you could avoid the long truck queues that sometime form...
dc4bs
level1
level1

Re: [Suggestion] Deploy workmen

Postby dc4bs » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:26 am

I'd be happy if more than 6-8 workmen could be assigned to unload...

EG: with blank plates, 6 workmen run to the truck and unload it. Then they grab the plates and head for the workshop with them.
In the mean time, until those 6 get back, NO other workmen will unload trucks and queue builds up. Does not matter even if you have 20+ more idle workmen standing around in the storage room...
silenced
level0

Postby silenced » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:10 pm

dc4bs wrote:I'd be happy if more than 6-8 workmen could be assigned to unload...

EG: with blank plates, 6 workmen run to the truck and unload it. Then they grab the plates and head for the workshop with them.
In the mean time, until those 6 get back, NO other workmen will unload trucks and queue builds up. Does not matter even if you have 20+ more idle workmen standing around in the storage room...

Workmen bring plates into the workshop? Must be a feature I've missed. They move them to the deliveries, yes, and there they are picked up by the workshop assigned prisoners.
dc4bs
level1
level1

Postby dc4bs » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:00 pm

Not if the prisoners have no access to the delivery area... ;)

I have extra cooks and workmen and all access to the delivery area is through guarded, staff only airlocks.

My issue is that when the workmen pick up the plates and head for the workshop, they are still holding the "truck unloading" flag (or something along those lines)...

No new workmen get assigned to unload the next truck so things quickly stack up.

I have not tested the new "place delivery area anywhere" setup yet. I think placing it just inside the airlock will keep the workmen much closer to the trucks so they will end up unloading much faster. Then the prisoners can take the supplies the rest of the way to the shops.

But I still think that more than 6 workmen should be able to unload trucks at once...
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:12 pm

dc4bs wrote:I have not tested the new "place delivery area anywhere" setup yet. I think placing it just inside the airlock will keep the workmen much closer to the trucks so they will end up unloading much faster. Then the prisoners can take the supplies the rest of the way to the shops.

I need to try this as well since I've used the same staff-only and guarded airlocks leading to the "outside" where the delivery area has been. I usually put my workshops as close to the road as possible to keep the sheet metal travel distance as low as possible. If the delivery zone is brought inside the prison, I don't mind so much if prisoner workers are used to transport them from there, meaning the workshops can be placed deeper in the prison away from the road.

I'd still like the ability to buy supplies in bulk and store it instead of "just in time / as needed" deliveries. Workmen should be filling a room with sheet metal orders the player places in the middle of the night. More discussion: Contracting delivery labor.

Return to “Community Members”