what happened with tunnel digging?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Hamster3
level1
level1

what happened with tunnel digging?

Postby Hamster3 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:45 pm

Since A14 my prisoners are barely digging tunnels. In A13, I was doing searches every 2-3 day and found at least 2-3 tunnels.
Now in A14, one week have passed, and I found only one tunnel.
xander
level5
level5

Re: what happened with tunnel digging?

Postby xander » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:58 pm

Hamster3 wrote:Since A14 my prisoners are barely digging tunnels. In A13, I was doing searches every 2-3 day and found at least 2-3 tunnels.
Now in A14, one week have passed, and I found only one tunnel.

As noted in the change log, tunneling has been nerfed. Only prisoners with the "Clever" hidden trait will attempt to dig tunnels, they require a tool, and they must be motivated. Details are in the release announcement.

xander
Legadian
level1
level1

Postby Legadian » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:27 pm

I'm actually sad that they nerfed it. I built two perimeter fences and a regular fence between any cell block and freedom during Alpha 13 and had almost daily shakedowns. Alpha 14 seems quite tame now that I have dogs and nobody even wanting to tunnel.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:06 pm

Legadian wrote:I'm actually sad that they nerfed it. I built two perimeter fences and a regular fence between any cell block and freedom during Alpha 13 and had almost daily shakedowns. Alpha 14 seems quite tame now that I have dogs and nobody even wanting to tunnel.

Obviously, the balance is still being worked on. However, I am not sad that tunneling was nerfed---the large number of tunnels took that aspect of management from a fun task to a boring, repetitive task (you knew that you had to shakedown the prison every couple of nights, or prisoners would escape). My preference would be to see the nerfed tunneling balanced by a greater penalty for unnecessary searches and shakedowns (i.e. they make the prisoners even madder).

xander
air805ronin
level1
level1

Postby air805ronin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:49 pm

I'm enjoying the balance at the moment, in that I have perimeter dog patrols, and a protocol set that searches cells when illegal items are found at metal detectors. It pretty much guarantees I'll find tunnels before they reach a significant distance. If I found more than one or two tunnels in a week, I'd start to find it ludicrous how many of my prisoners are trying to tunnel out.

I'll have to rethink it, though, once i have to pay dog handlers a wage.
Striket1234
level1
level1

Postby Striket1234 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:16 am

I a tweet on their twitter right after alpha 13 came out, they said they would make tunneling less likely. I alpha 13, it was kind of annoying how much the prisoners were digging. I like the balance at the moment.
Dichotomy
level1
level1

Postby Dichotomy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:37 am

air805ronin wrote:I'm enjoying the balance at the moment, in that I have perimeter dog patrols, and a protocol set that searches cells when illegal items are found at metal detectors. It pretty much guarantees I'll find tunnels before they reach a significant distance. If I found more than one or two tunnels in a week, I'd start to find it ludicrous how many of my prisoners are trying to tunnel out.

I'll have to rethink it, though, once i have to pay dog handlers a wage.

True but I guess when it comes to timeframe PA is not just measured by the in game clock. PRISONER sentences seem to be about 1 YEAR a day (or something like that), so 2 a week quickly becomes 1 every 3 and 1/2 years (if my MATH is correct) :) .

On that timeframe its not really an issue.
VIPERGTSR01
level1
level1

Postby VIPERGTSR01 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:43 pm

I like how it is now in Alpha 14, I usually get the odd prisoner who likes to dig and I keep tabs on it, rather than A13 which I had countless diggers every day.
vulgarman
level1
level1

Postby vulgarman » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:55 pm

xander wrote:As noted in the change log, tunneling has been nerfed. Only prisoners with the "Clever" hidden trait will attempt to dig tunnels, they require a tool, and they must be motivated. Details are in the release announcement.

xander

Nice, well looks like I'll be editing in clever trait in the save file.
Dybing
level1
level1

Postby Dybing » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:41 am

I don't know how much it the digging have been reduced. I got a prison running with roughly 130 inmates at the moment, and a pretty strict policy where any contraband found on an inmate triggers a cell search. I find one or two tunnels a day usually. You'd think a prisoner who is busy digging a tunnel wouldn't risk getting caught by carrying contraband around, as they all have to go through metal-detectors at least six times a day, plus dogs sniffing all the busy areas, but they do.

Perhaps in time, diggers will become less likely to carry contraband around - to keep a low profile and not encourage a cell search. But as it is most tunnels in my prison are discovered before they've reached three or four tiles out from the toilet.

Return to “Community Members”