[Suggestion] Solve an unsolved murder

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

gustavj
level0

[Suggestion] Solve an unsolved murder

Postby gustavj » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:11 pm

Hello,

I am new to PA, but so far, I like it very much. I have only one prison running, and it went well until day 24 or so, when the incident happened in either the cleaning cupboard or the laundry. Since both are situated directly next to each other, I had no view of both rooms at that time, and in both rooms was disorder, I can't tell what happened. What I know is the following, the laundry machines were all destroyed, the laundry was flooded, there was at least one new high-sec inmate in the cleaning cupboard, who arrived shortly before and went ape. All in all I had a total of 5 inmates dead, in both rooms. So, was it a malfunctioning laundry machine, was it maybe triggered by an unhappy prisoner, or were there just to mini riots? All I know, they count as 5 unsolved murders in my evaluation.

So, wouldn't it be nice to solve this case? I mean, there is the Chief, who could be send to the place of the incident and start an investigation. All surviving prisoners could be (of course) searched, held or put in their cells for questioning, the dead bodies and all other items in the room searched aswell, the video footage (if there was CCTV) could be analysed asf. After the investigation there would be a report saying "it was an accident", or "inmate #12345 caused the destruction of.../attacked/murdered inmate #... with a 95% likelihood". The prisoner should then sent away to be put on trial. The outcome of the trial could also be influenced by the established likelihood in the report.

The unsolved-murder count would then decreased. So, that's my idea, what do you think? I think, this would add more use to the staff (chief) and also more credibility.
knoest26
level5
level5

Re: [Suggestion] Solve an unsolved murder

Postby knoest26 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:23 pm

I'm pretty sure it has been suggested before but it is definetly something that needs to be implemented
gustavj
level0

Postby gustavj » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:40 pm

Perhaps, but then I didn't find it. I checked the suggestions list, and searched for unsolved murder aswell.
Kolchak
level2
level2

Postby Kolchak » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:36 pm

(Most suggestions for this come under investigator)
I've always supported this idea, and now that prisons can be sold I think there is an extra need for this - I've always found the term 'unsolved' peculiar as I usually know who did it, guards have often witnessed it etc.

My preferred method ties in with gangs; gangs should have the ability (and desire) to assassinate problematic inmates, incorrupt guards, or rival gang members. This would utilise the various offensive pieces of contrband (poison etc.). Every death would lead to a dossier being created (possibly on a report tab, maybe on to-do list), upon recruiting an investigator (needs an office) the player would be able to select these dossiers to be tackled. The investigator would then walk the prison trying to solve the crime. Simple issues (deaths in fighting/riots) should be solvable in three game hours, but they can get more complex. If (for example) someone was poisoned, the difficulty of the investigation would depend on (among other stuff); if the victim was a known gang member, if there is a known gang, if anyone was recently detected with contraband, etc.

I would then suggest that a lawyer could be used to extend the sentence, but the murder would be solved (in terms of valuation) as soon as the investigation is over (~3-72 game hours)
snarst
level2
level2

Postby snarst » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:41 pm

Maybe the doctor could examine the body in the morgue and tell you how they died. Then you do a shakedown and find the offending weapon and try to see if any knife, shank, ex matches the wounds. Fingerprints could be taken if the owner of the cell it was found in was seen in some place at the time of the murder and thus couldn't be the culprit.

Ta da.
gustavj
level0

Postby gustavj » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:45 pm

I didn't even thought about the doctor and the morgue, that's even better than the chief checking the dead body. At first, I also thought of a detective or so, who would be for crime solving better suited of course than the chief. I just thought, it might be easier to implement.
Kolchak
level2
level2

Postby Kolchak » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:20 pm

OR *dramatic flourish* all of these elements could be combined? This would mean that the unsolved penalty is hard to remove, and it would serve as a fitting deterrent to unruly prisons ... and an incentive to suppress gangs
stevehoot
level0

Postby stevehoot » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:42 pm

That is a great idea.
gustavj
level0

Postby gustavj » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:01 pm

I agree. :D
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:30 pm

snarst wrote:Mayb Then you do a shakedown and find the offending weapon and try to see if any knife, shank, ex matches the wounds. .

Ta da.

My exhausted brain read "Shark" which made me laugh out loud. "how the hell did they smuggle that in?!"

But I agree, I would love this feature to be implemented.
redd
level1
level1

Postby redd » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:05 pm

I would have thought the fact that it's been deliberately added to the game as an "unsolved murder" is a pretty big give-away that IV are planning on implementing solutions.
gustavj
level0

Postby gustavj » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:19 pm

I haven't considered that, but I certainly hope they do.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:38 pm

redd wrote:I would have thought the fact that it's been deliberately added to the game as an "unsolved murder" is a pretty big give-away that IV are planning on implementing solutions.

That's not exactly true, if Chris can't find a fun implementation of this feature then it won't be implemented. That's where suggestions like these come in.
air805ronin
level1
level1

Postby air805ronin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:19 pm

100% behind this feature. I have a prison I started yesterday with 2 unsolved murders. I'm 90% sure that the showers overflowed and combined with nearby metal detectors to kill first a workman and then a prisoner (the cheap version of electric chair anyone?).

90% because i know I didn't have any riots or unruly prisoners, just a random dead body and destroyed metal detectors. 10% because I don't know if the developers inserted code for stealth assassinations by sharpened spoon.

Now I have lost 60,000 on the value of my prison for all time because the cause of their death can't be found. I'd love an investigation method to clear those from my books.
Brnthay
level1
level1

Postby Brnthay » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:49 pm

That said you all still had a death. In a real prisons that a violation. Get to many of these the prison is shut down (I would support this mechanic added to the game). Yes you can solve the case and extend the stay of the inmate. To have an incentive to do this, it should reduce the effects of the violation, maybe in stead of 30k a death it only 15 or 10k. But still, just having to many deaths should be penalized. Also if you have a prison that as been active for a long time you going to have more violation then a prison that is still being built or just finished. So the penalty should wear off over time.

Edit: Grammar errors
Last edited by Brnthay on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Community Members”