Allocating more RAM to PA?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

craftier99
level1
level1

Allocating more RAM to PA?

Postby craftier99 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:32 pm

As the title suggests i am wondering if it is possible to allocate more ram to PA. Currently it seems as if the game wont use more than 0.5 GB of RAM something i find weird considering i have more than 4 GB free.
xander
level5
level5

Re: Allocating more RAM to PA?

Postby xander » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:58 pm

What would be the point? If the game doesn't need the memory, why would you allocate the memory? If the game needs more, it will get it from the OS, without your intervention.

xander

EDIT: Would you also please delete your other identical post before someone responds to it and it cannot be deleted?
Gondlar
level1
level1

Postby Gondlar » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:04 am

Well... it uses about 1GB, I'm running the Linux version though....

What do you mean by "it won't use more than 0.5GB"? Are you getting out-of-memory errors? If not: Maybe it does not need more for what you are doing...
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:23 pm

xander wrote:EDIT: Would you also please delete your other identical post before someone responds to it and it cannot be deleted?

Merge topics FTW. :)

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:35 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
xander wrote:EDIT: Would you also please delete your other identical post before someone responds to it and it cannot be deleted?

Merge topics FTW. :)

NeoThermic

Yay!

xander
henke37
level2
level2

Postby henke37 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:34 pm

It is very simple: the game uses as much memory as it needs. There is no magical "go faster" button here. Using all the resources of the system is a good idea, but only if they are actually used.
craftier99
level1
level1

Postby craftier99 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:06 pm

My problem was that the game was lagging like crazy but it was using only a little of my ram and such.
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:24 pm

craftier99 wrote:My problem was that the game was lagging like crazy but it was using only a little of my ram and such.

The game lags for everyone. It's an alpha and so has yet to be optimised.
Wopsie
level0

Postby Wopsie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:47 pm

I dont think RAM is the problem, but utilizing CPU, I dont think the game runs on all cores.
henke37
level2
level2

Postby henke37 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:46 pm

And here we go again...

Using all the cores is not a magic solution either. The best solution is not to run more code at once, it is to require that less code is run to do the job. The fastest code is the one that doesn't run.
Gondlar
level1
level1

Postby Gondlar » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:57 pm

If everyone who hasn't seen a single line of actual PA code could refrain from posting what causes the problem... that would be great.
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Gondlar wrote:If everyone who hasn't seen a single line of actual PA code could refrain from posting what causes the problem... that would be great.

In that case there'd be no one posting answers to these threads as Introversion rarely posts on the forum. And you don't need to see the code to know what's causing the game to lag. You can do something and it'll lag, so you try doing that thing again (in the same game or a new one) and see if it lags again. It's how games testers, many of whom aren't coders, work.
Gondlar
level1
level1

Postby Gondlar » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:39 pm

Well I'm fine with that, but I don't think that's the origin of statements along the lines of "It lags because it does not use all cores", "It lags because t does not use enough ram", "It lags because ..." since you can't tell that by testing.

Anyway my personal guess would be a memory leak since it only starts to lag after some time and a safe-reload cycle solves everything for me. I haven't done any profiling yet though...
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Gondlar wrote:Well I'm fine with that, but I don't think that's the origin of statements along the lines of "It lags because it does not use all cores", "It lags because t does not use enough ram", "It lags because ..." since you can't tell that by testing.

That sort of information can be found out simply by using the Task Manager under Windows or command line tools under Linux (I have no idea about Mac OS).
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:58 pm

MAdMaN wrote:
Gondlar wrote:Well I'm fine with that, but I don't think that's the origin of statements along the lines of "It lags because it does not use all cores", "It lags because t does not use enough ram", "It lags because ..." since you can't tell that by testing.

That sort of information can be found out simply by using the Task Manager under Windows or command line tools under Linux (I have no idea about Mac OS).

Either the command line tools or the Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor, if I recall correctly) will do for Macs.

xander

Return to “Community Members”