[suggestion] Bind objects to room types

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

prototype
level1
level1

[suggestion] Bind objects to room types

Postby prototype » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:02 pm

The current situation allows to have toilets in the kitchen/yard/shower and whatever room type and or television/phone booth in the prison cells.
Causing it to be to easy and efficient to fulfill the prisoners needs. There is not as much need for a good rotation in the regime because the prisoner can fulfill some needs in every room.

My suggestion:
Disallow objects in certain rooms (no more toilets in the kitchen/yard for example)

Doing this will make it more important to have a good layout/regime for your prison.
And such make the game more challenging/interesting.
RMJ1984
level2
level2

Re: [suggestion] Bind objects to room types

Postby RMJ1984 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:06 pm

Im sure this will be coming later on.

certain objects could have multiple room placement.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:18 pm

I don't like the idea of artificial restrictions... there's no real reason you wouldn't technically be able to put, say, toilets in the canteen (yuck though). IMO a big part of the charm is being able to make such a hellhole work.

We'll see what the needs system ends up looking like as we progress though.
GC13
level2
level2

Postby GC13 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:24 pm

HerrJoebob wrote:I don't like the idea of artificial restrictions... there's no real reason you wouldn't technically be able to put, say, toilets in the canteen (yuck though). IMO a big part of the charm is being able to make such a hellhole work.
The problem is, there's nothing saying that's a hellhole though. As far as the game is concerned, it's just the warden spending a little bit extra so his prisoners can fulfill their needs better.

I mean, the game doesn't even force you to wall them off from everything else.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:28 pm

HerrJoebob wrote:I don't like the idea of artificial restrictions... there's no real reason you wouldn't technically be able to put, say, toilets in the canteen (yuck though). IMO a big part of the charm is being able to make such a hellhole work.

You picked the one example where an artificial restriction actually makes sense. In most places, the health inspectors won't let you put toilets in the same place that food is prepared and/or served. ;)

As to the issue of placing restrictions on what items can go where, there are a couple of questions to address: Are the restrictions positive (e.g. phones can only go in holding cells) or negative (e.g. toilets may not be placed in kitchens or canteens)? What if you change the zoning of an area where you have already placed items? What happens if an object ends up in a place where it doesn't belong (for instance, the room zoning changes as above)? What negative or positive effects might this have on UI? And so on.

xander
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:46 pm

xander wrote:

You picked the one example where an artificial restriction actually makes sense. In most places, the health inspectors won't let you put toilets in the same place that food is prepared and/or served. ;)

xander

Ha well you got me there... :)

Good post ... As you point out with the way this game defines rooms this could cause quite a few gameplay problems as opposed to a game like Evil Genius that rigidly defines room types.
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:01 pm

xander wrote:What happens if an object ends up in a place where it doesn't belong (for instance, the room zoning changes as above)?

Easiest thing to do would just be to have the room not finalise until the misplaced objects are removed.
Kolchak
level2
level2

Postby Kolchak » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:01 pm

I suppose some limited, negative, restrictions wouldn't be too bad - as long as it was the very basic no toilets in kitchen/canteen; no cookers in the cells, etc. But I think the community a) quite enjoys the ability to build anything, including NK style prison camps and, b) is disciplined enough to build realistic prisons if they wish.

An alternative mechanic would be to implement inspectors, and the score which the lawyer description refers to, but allow it as an option at the beginning of the game (along with FoW and Cont. intake)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:23 pm

MAdMaN wrote:
xander wrote:What happens if an object ends up in a place where it doesn't belong (for instance, the room zoning changes as above)?

Easiest thing to do would just be to have the room not finalise until the misplaced objects are removed.

That seems like it would cause some serious gameplay issues---suppose a player puts a toilet in the kitchen thus causing the kitchen to cease functioning. The player now has to wait until a workman removes it, which could take a while, depending on how backed up the queue is. Perhaps it would be better to look at it from the other direction---instead of an object messing with a room's requirements, suppose that a room can mess with an object's requirements.

For instance, suppose that it is decided that phones can only be placed in holding cells, common rooms, and yards. Place a phone somewhere else, and you get a warning icon similar to (but not the same as) the icon that flashes when a room doesn't meet the requirements. Mouse over (or click on?) the object, and a window pops up describing the object and which requirements are not met (e.g. "Phones must be placed in a holding cell, common room, or yard."). As long as the requirements are not met, the object cannot be used for anything.

Some of the required code probably already exists---for instance, many objects already require power or water. It might be possible to hook into the same loop to check other kinds of requirements, such as in which kind of room an object has been placed.

That being said, I kind of like the chaos which is currently possible. ;)

xander
prototype
level1
level1

Postby prototype » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:01 am

I think it would not be so hard to have a list with banned items next to the list of required items for each room type.

If there would be no power, then the kitchen does not work as well.
So as long as one knows what is needed and what is restricted it will not be much of a problem.
peardude
level1
level1

Postby peardude » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:56 am

Seems a little one sided to me, I mean the player would have to put this here and that there, there, or there or else it can't be used. I like the ability to throw all my prisoners into their cells and have most of their needs be fulfilled, it seems very limiting.
snarst
level2
level2

Postby snarst » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:57 am

Kolchak wrote: no cookers in the cells

:shock: but what about the cool maps where every prisoner gets a house as his "cell" and he gets a kitchen in addition to the tv and bed?
OneEyedShark
level1
level1

Postby OneEyedShark » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:32 am

snarst wrote:
Kolchak wrote: no cookers in the cells

:shock: but what about the cool maps where every prisoner gets a house as his "cell" and he gets a kitchen in addition to the tv and bed?

then remove the "cell" under the cooker ? :)
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:55 am

-1 Players should have complete freedom of what to do where. I always place toilets in my canteens, have you every seen a restaurant without a toilet?

There should be certain risk factors. Prisoners could use toilets to poison food or cookers in their cell to burn other inmates faces.

Most importantly though, once the dev's start balancing the game you will find your prisoners needing to go to the toilet more often than once a day, forcing you to place toilets in your workshop or canteen.
Dan7794
level1
level1

Postby Dan7794 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:27 pm

When was the Last time you were in a Cafeteria or restaurant where there were no toilets. I put them in like Stalls so they can go in private.

Return to “Community Members”