Cancel seems to work between different menus - intentional?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Bloodnok
level0

Cancel seems to work between different menus - intentional?

Postby Bloodnok » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:56 pm

You can cancel the building of foundations accidentally when you are working from the objects menu.

Doesn't seem big at first, but in your first big build push, it's not uncommon for this to totally break your design, and render the prison unworkable.

I've rage-quit over this issue at least three times already, and I've had access to the alpha for all of about two weeks so far. I'd say I've thrown away 4-6 hours plus of prison design work each time.

Basic workflow:

* I've designed an entire large prison using the design tool. It's not a single large monolithic square block.
* I'm filling in the foundations for just the few bits I really need at the start, not wanting to spend money on foundations I don't (yet) need. That's even more not-square-ness.
* This means I've used many many connected sets of foundations.
* It takes ages for the workers to install lights, remove lights, and then install them where it would be sensible to do so given the internal wall structure I've got planned, so I'm cancelling the installation of lights each time a section of foundation gets finished.
* It's way too easy to be cancelling the installation of lights, and actually end up cancelling half your foundations.
* Cancelled foundations do not leave spare materials around - so you can't re-build it without spending a lot more money.

I've checked the bug tracker, and there's a bug about the last one (although it's phrased asking for a refund of the money - I'd prefer to see it done with surplus materials that can be used to reduce the cost of the next build instead). But there isn't a bug about being able to cancel foundations without going back to the foundations menu.

My question is should I enter a bug about being able to cancel foundations from the objects menu? Is this an intentional bit of game design, or just an oversight?
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Re: Cancel seems to work between different menus - intention

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:52 pm

I think the Mantis Bug Reports have this covered. In comment 4248 on Mantis Artifact 590, the accidental canceling is mentioned, and even suggests a confirmation screen. Still, I'd prefer if you can only cancel foundations while the foundation menu is open, as you suggest.
dc4bs
level1
level1

Postby dc4bs » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:34 pm

Big time +1...
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:09 pm

I've been playing since alpha 1 and never encountered this. The real issue is not the accidental cancelling of a foundation, but the need to cancel auto-light placement. As has been suggested by many before, there should be an option to toggle auto-light placement on and off. That would kill both birds.

Return to “Community Members”