Gaurds not finding tunnels. Prisoners escaping randomly also

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

twisteddman
level1
level1

Gaurds not finding tunnels. Prisoners escaping randomly also

Postby twisteddman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:45 pm

I have random prisoners escaping 3 to 5 people at a time. I search the cells every couple of days and have not yet found a tunnel going out of the wall or far enough for an escape except for once and one prisoner escaped through it.

Twice I have had small riots that when finally put down, several prisoners have escaped. There were no broken doors or holes in the walls and I did not see anyone making a break for it. I searched for tunnels and found nothing but short ones that do not lead out.

Even stranger. After having just searched all the cells and checked how many prisoners have escaped. I bought land behind my prison. When it became purchased it showed up with tunnels on it starting in places where cells would be if my prison was shifted to that plot. two of them were long enough to escape from and I looked at the cells where they would have started and there were dummies in the beds,and so I checked the escape count again and somehow in the time between me clicking on the buy the plot button and it appearing as purchased 5 more prisoners escaped.

There are no holes in my walls or ways out other than tunnels. kitchen staff do not have access to the delivery area and no prisoners have been seen making a break for the front entrance. Those two escape tunnels that showed up when I purchased the land did not show up in a search of cells blocks that I made just prior to purchasing the land.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there some kind of bug?
knoest26
level5
level5

Re: Gaurds not finding tunnels. Prisoners escaping randomly

Postby knoest26 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:37 pm

Something is wrong with the positioning of patrols and tunnels during land expansion. I had a couple of times aswell, only expanding land during daytime (when prisoners aren't tunnelling) seemed to work for me.
twisteddman
level1
level1

Postby twisteddman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:11 pm

knoest26 wrote:Something is wrong with the positioning of patrols and tunnels during land expansion. I had a couple of times aswell, only expanding land during daytime (when prisoners aren't tunnelling) seemed to work for me.

Yeah that seems obvious, though I did not know that doing it in the day would fix it. My real issue tough is the whole prisoners escaping with out any means to do so showing up
dc4bs
level1
level1

Postby dc4bs » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:14 am

It sounds to me like this is what happens when you buy the western land expansion:

1: The existing land is shifted left, out from underneath the prison.
2: The new land is added on the right and slid in under the prison.

I would guess that the "object position grid" starts at 0,0 in one of the left corners and a Western expansion would introduce negative numbers... So the code just increments all the object positions East by "width of new land" during expansion. The "bug" would be simply forgetting to add code to update positions of anything that is currently "underground".

The above also explains that old bug that caused a vertical stripe in the middle of the prison to be unbuildable. The road right of way moved West with the original land but the road surface tiles shifted East along with everything else "above ground" during the expansion...

I'd guess the escaped prisoners who were digging were "underground" and moved left with the land along with their tunnels. When they came back up, they were outside and just walked away.

Now I'm curious whether North/South expansions affect tunnel positions. I expect one or the other would but not both.

North expansion would shift the tunnels if the 0,0 default location is in the top left corner and South expansion would shift them if the 0,0 default is in the bottom left corner.

Of course, this presupposes the above theory is correct and it isn't some completely different issue causing the problem... ;)

If I'm correct, you don't have to ever search for tunnels! Just expand land to the West during work each day! When the prisoners return to their cells they will have to start fresh tunnels every night... :twisted:
twisteddman
level1
level1

Postby twisteddman » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:55 pm

that is definitely happening, but all that did was expose tunnels that my guards could not find with a search, which is the main issue

Return to “Community Members”