[Suggestion] No power changes mood

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

iScripters
level2
level2

[Suggestion] No power changes mood

Postby iScripters » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:59 am

I would like to see this in the game. When the prison has no power at all, or if there is a power failure, prisoners should act differently. Without lights, guards see less, so prisoners would try to steal more, dig more, fight more, riot more and get angry sooner (thermometer). When the lights go back on, things should go back to normal gradually.
I got this idea from something that happened in a prison in my city last night. Here is the Google Translated news article: click!

What's your take on this?
Last edited by iScripters on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Re: No power changes mood

Postby paktsardines » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:28 pm

Definite +1. This could really be something, can I also suggest:
1. The prisoner response to the lack of power depends on the time. That is, things are much worse if power is lost at night vs day. This instills a sense of urgency if power is lost during the day, knowing that things will be a lot worse if night falls.... because:
2. The visibility of staff and guards is _massively_ reduced if there's no power at night. They can only see by torchlight after all. CCTVs also don't function (obviously).
3. Prisoners know nobody can see what they do and their priority becomes breaking, punching and stabbing whatever they can. They ignore deployment zones, and generally go nuts.
4. Lockdown is not available during power failures (no electricity to activate locks).

Think zombie apocalypse, but with prisoners. ;)
762SkS
level1
level1

Postby 762SkS » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:00 pm

ive noticed that if you save a game while the prisoners are sleeping then load it. they all wake up and get very angry! happened to me 2 or 3 times now which resulted in riots!
stoppedreality
level1
level1

Postby stoppedreality » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:27 pm

Well, this already does SORT of happen. If there's no power during the day, then food isn't cooked etc, so mood is affected indirectly. +1 for the lack of lighting thing though.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:03 pm

I'm imagining something like off Batman where Baine got a little closer every time the lights turned off.
Causeless
level2
level2

Postby Causeless » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:29 pm

What if guard visual range is greatly reduced in the dark?
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:33 am

2. The visibility of staff and guards is _massively_ reduced if there's no power at night.

;)
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:32 am

Secondary effects such as power loss affecting cooking are covered. I'd focus the request to:
  1. negatively affect prisoners' need if they're awake and have no light
  2. negatively affect prisoners' need if they are sleeping and there is light
Of course the second needs some additional features concerning an electric timer that can deactivate circuits (in this case, cell blocks) based on regime. This way we'll have a true "lights out" for sleep time.

I'd also like to see this extended to include "outside" access, even if it's through a window. I think there should be some deterrent to building cells that have no window. Perhaps the relation to light is related.
iScripters
level2
level2

Postby iScripters » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:03 am

Just thought of something else that could be a part of this. Prisoners could (individually or collectively) break the lights in their cells (if any). This would mean guards take longer to search a cell and tunnels have a 25% chance of not being discovered. When a light it broken, it shows the 'no power' icon, but is NOT automatically repaired by workmen. (Maybe the light just disappears so you will have to install new ones manually)
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:25 am

iScripters wrote:Just thought of something else that could be a part of this. Prisoners could (individually or collectively) break the lights in their cells (if any). This would mean guards take longer to search a cell and tunnels have a 25% chance of not being discovered. When a light it broken, it shows the 'no power' icon, but is NOT automatically repaired by workmen. (Maybe the light just disappears so you will have to install new ones manually)

Sure, why not. I wouldn't mind having the occasional vandalism to deal with. Plus, depending on how the anticipated Alpha 14 dogs work, tunnels may need some more possibilities.

Return to “Community Members”