Bug - workers fixing washer in water = tons of lost $$

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

GreenGriffin
level1
level1

Bug - workers fixing washer in water = tons of lost $$

Postby GreenGriffin » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:52 pm

Hi everyone,

Sorry, no screenshot, but here's the scenario. My laundry room had a washing machine that suddenly leaked water everywhere (which incidently fried an inmate worker lol). I didn't have a guard or camera in the room, so I had no idea what was going on until it was too late.

A worker proceeds to go into the laundry room to fix the washing machine, at a cost of $1000 to replace it. Because it's sitting in water, each time he fixes it, it instantly blows up, and he starts over again. Meanwhile, each time $1000 goes down the toilet. This repeats several times rapidly until I notice my balance has inexplicably plummeted, and I just happen to spot this behavior after losing $13,000 in probably less than a minute.

Meanwhile, an unfortunate janitor happens to be sweeping near these shenanigans while I'm trying in vain to stop it, and when the washer shorts out again, POOF, one dead janitor to add to his buddy in the Morgue lol.

HUGE problem, please don't let workers try to fix a washing machine still sitting in a puddle of water! I had a nice pile of money and no deaths in my prison until this funny-but-not-so-funny scenario.
Der_Doodle
level1
level1

Re: Bug - workers fixing washer in water = tons of lost $$

Postby Der_Doodle » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:14 pm

your laundry needs a power switch to shut the laundrys off in case of an emergency.
Xoligy
level3
level3

Postby Xoligy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:32 pm

As said turn off the electric, turn off the water and... add a drain.
henke37
level2
level2

Postby henke37 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Drains don't work like that.
GreenGriffin
level1
level1

Postby GreenGriffin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:10 am

Guys, please read my post over again. I'm not looking for advice on how to avoid this situation in the future. My issue is with an idiotic worker continuing to fix a broken appliance sitting in water that breaks instantly upon restoration in an endless, costly loop. The AI was doing something that was completely ludicrous.

Would you stand in a puddle of water and rewire a live electrical outlet?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:31 am

GreenGriffin wrote:Would you stand in a puddle of water and rewire a live electrical outlet?

If I were an AI in a game with a job to do, yes. The whole point is that you, the player, needs to ensure that the environment is safe before allowing your workers access.

xander
Xoligy
level3
level3

Postby Xoligy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:27 am

GreenGriffin wrote:Would you stand in a puddle of water and rewire a live electrical outlet?

Im crazy so maybe :/

Yes the ai is dumb, but the game is fun and making money is easy =)
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:40 am

Because it's sitting in water, each time he fixes it, it instantly blows up, and he starts over again

I found the best way to fix this issue is to send workers in four at a time...
GreenGriffin
level1
level1

Postby GreenGriffin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:38 am

xander wrote:The whole point is that you, the player, needs to ensure that the environment is safe before allowing your workers access.

The whole point is I should be able to do that without my workers draining my bank account and electrocuting each other. They should simply understand "washing machine and water in the same tile = no repair job" until you rectify it. Not go to their deaths like lemmings, it's silly.

Or are you implying that my expectations for non-idiotic AI routines are beyond the scope of this product?
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:09 am

The whole point is I should be able to do that without my workers draining my bank account and electrocuting each other.

Why should you? If you don't pay attention to your prisoners' sky-rocketing thermometers should the game automatically improve the quality of food to compensate? Of course not. Managing these challenges forms important elements of the gameplay, and real life (just ask Halliburton).
The electrocution mechanic itself can only going to be expanded in the future and I for one relish it's future awesomeness.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Xoligy wrote:

Im crazy so maybe :/

Yes the ai is dumb, but the game is fun and making money is easy =)

This Made my day ^_^
Flint
level2
level2

Postby Flint » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:14 pm

It's a good point, In the real world the boss tells the employ when to do something or even if to do it. There should be a options tab in the folder for "Repair Jobs" just like the punishment system. This why I can set price ranges where the workers will auto repair or not or even go to the point that for all hazardous items you can choose wither to auto-quarry it or not.
esdee
level1
level1

Postby esdee » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:52 am

Well, in real life scenario, his job would be repair the machine - which would include turning the power off within the selected building. So if there is a switch, he should be able to do it himself. If not, well... stating that he can't do his job would be more logical than knowingly killing himself.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:27 am

paktsardines wrote:
The whole point is I should be able to do that without my workers draining my bank account and electrocuting each other.

Why should you? If you don't pay attention to your prisoners' sky-rocketing thermometers should the game automatically improve the quality of food to compensate? Of course not. Managing these challenges forms important elements of the gameplay, and real life (just ask Halliburton).
The electrocution mechanic itself can only going to be expanded in the future and I for one relish it's future awesomeness.

Nah I dont see that as a game mechanic. its a bug. If there was an additional washing machine that needed to be fixed, next to the first, and thats is what was killing him, fair enough. But the AI shouldn't repeatably do a task, that is fatal, and costs money, without user input.

Maybe the first worker could die, but are you seriously telling me that after Barry tried to plug the washer in and was burnt to a crisp (and is still laying on the floor in a puddle of sparking water), your gunna have a shot next?
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:10 am

5hifty wrote:Nah I dont see that as a game mechanic. its a bug. If there was an additional washing machine that needed to be fixed, next to the first, and thats is what was killing him, fair enough. But the AI shouldn't repeatably do a task, that is fatal, and costs money, without user input.

Maybe the first worker could die, but are you seriously telling me that after Barry tried to plug the washer in and was burnt to a crisp (and is still laying on the floor in a puddle of sparking water), your gunna have a shot next?

If you want to keep your job you would. Disobeying a superior can be grounds for dismissal.

Return to “Community Members”