Bug - workers fixing washer in water = tons of lost $$

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

5hifty
level4
level4

Re: Bug - workers fixing washer in water = tons of lost $$

Postby 5hifty » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Yeah I think that's why they should try and repair it the first time. I can prevent the explosion the first time by having a power switch, or locking the room, but I think after the first time they should flag it as hazardous in a similar way to the way they do a prisoner controlled room. Once the power is off, or the water is drained, they'll have another shot.
dc4bs
level1
level1

Postby dc4bs » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:20 pm

GreenGriffin wrote:Would you stand in a puddle of water and rewire a live electrical outlet?

My dads friend had to fix a circuit in a flooded basement due to a failed clothes washer issue...

He brought a friend, handed him a baseball bat and told him, "If I 'lock up', get me off the circuit quickly" expecting that he would just use the bat to poke him off the wires.

Well, he locked up and while unable to move, watched his buddy panic, windup and swing for a home run...

Broke his arm in 2 places but did get him off the circuit.

EDIT: Weird, semi-related story. I was at my college roommates parents house one weekend and his uncle came over. He had been an electrician for 30+ years. He looked at the lamp on the table and said, "Something doesn't look right." He removed the bulb, licked his thumb and stuck it in the socket. waited a few seconds and said, "Nope, doesn't feel right either." He went in the basement, the lights went out, there was some banging and thumping noises for 10-15 minutes. The lights went back on, he came back up, stuck his thumb in the light socket again and said, "Now it's right." Apparently the fuse box was (I believe he said) "cross-wired" and he could tell just by looking at the lamp. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen the whole thing.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:41 pm

dc4bs wrote:
GreenGriffin wrote:whole 1st story

lol, seriously? well, um... I'm sure that's the exception that proves the rule?

dc4bs wrote:
GreenGriffin wrote:whole 2nd story

yeah I actually get that. when i did roady work, ya had to make sure that things were polarized (phaze, look it up) correctly, otherwise the sound sucked. You can hear it pretty easy once you know, when one speaker is +/- and the other is -/+. I guess maybe it affects it in a way that has a visible effect on a light globe? and i guess the touching the point is checking which point is + and which is -. Pretty bloody game if you ask me and... oh wait, you guys have like 110v not 240v mains yeah?
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:41 am

In a moment of stupidity I nearly electrocuted myself last night. Would you believe I was fixing a broken washing machine? I switched off the power to the machine at the wall and then opened the drainage valve at the front. Way more water came out than expected. It flooded the entire room and came within inches of a powerboard on the floor on the far side of the room.
dubhe
level1
level1

Postby dubhe » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:57 am

its a bug
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:42 am

dubhe wrote:its a bug

I'm not sure that it is a bug so much as an unimplemented feature (i.e. surge protectors or circuit breakers of some sort or another).

xander
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:40 am

xander wrote:
dubhe wrote:its a bug

I'm not sure that it is a bug so much as an unimplemented feature (i.e. surge protectors or circuit breakers of some sort or another).

xander

Wouldn't it be nice of a dev (or just a voice of theirs). Would tell us if it's a feature it a bug? Ya know, so we know whether or nOt it's worth discussing? Maybe not today, but in the end of the week round up, if this post was picked to be one of the ones answered, a 'dev might leave leave a note at the end clarifying wheatear it's a feature or bug. Granted we could all live without that, and the world wouldn't explode of it didn't happen. But that's something defiantly within IVs grasp, and we as the gamers would greatly appreciate it.
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:43 am

5hifty wrote:Wouldn't it be nice of a dev (or just a voice of theirs). Would tell us if it's a feature it a bug? Ya know, so we know whether or nOt it's worth discussing? Maybe not today, but in the end of the week round up, if this post was picked to be one of the ones answered, a 'dev might leave leave a note at the end clarifying wheatear it's a feature or bug. Granted we could all live without that, and the world wouldn't explode of it didn't happen. But that's something defiantly within IVs grasp, and we as the gamers would greatly appreciate it.

There's enough arguing about this in the threads on the subject. Please don't spread it to unrelated ones.
Elandryl
level1
level1

Postby Elandryl » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:28 am

I had the same bug. Yeah, I consider it a bug, because your whole crew going happily to kill themselves in a pool of water like a bunch of lemmings isn't what I would call a "feature". Not in this game anyway.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:17 am

MAdMaN wrote:Etc There's enough arguing about this in the threads on the subject. Please don't spread it to unrelated ones.

Agreed. But it was just such a perfect real world example of what everyone was talking bout, it was hard to pass it up. In a related topic, could you reference this, and convince me why it isn't a great idea for them* to get involved in their community?

On topic
Elandryl wrote:I had the same bug. Yeah, I consider it a bug, because your whole crew going happily to kill themselves in a pool of water like a bunch of lemmings isn't what I would call a "feature". Not in this game anyway.

This. Them dying once. Shame on me. Them dying in chain over 2 minutes, draining all of my money because no one was cleaver enough to put a "Out of Service" on the door, while I was dealing with a shakedown in Cell Block C, shame on them.

*them: IV, not necessarily Chris and Mark, but a authorized representative of IV.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:39 pm

Personally, as it is now, I see it as a gameplay mechanic that punishes bad design, i.e. not having switches and/or valves that can be shut off when things go wrong. However, it has been logged in the tracker, and IV have previously vowed to address all of the issues in the tracker, so it will be dealt at some point (one way or another). Bug, unimplemented feature, or intended behaviour.

xander

Return to “Community Members”