Pipe grid

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

McEdy
level2
level2

Pipe grid

Postby McEdy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:35 pm

I like how the perimeter walls work but I'd like something like that for large pipes aswell so here's my idea:
how about a new kind of large pipe, which is expensive (e.g. 50$) and which can't be used for faster tunneling like the normal large pipes? Large pipes with grids in them so that they make it harder for prisoners to escape :mrgreen:
paktsardines
level5
level5

Re: Pipe grid

Postby paktsardines » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:55 am

If you don't want prisoners to tunnel through large pipes, don't place large pipes in silly places.
Use small pipes around cells, and if you must have large pipes, make sure they don't lead anywhere important.

Placing the pumping station somewhere near the middle of your prison (rather than outside) is a good idea because you don't need to run any large pipes in risky places.

Having large pipes with grids makes the small vs large pipe distinction irrelevant, rather than the enjoyable design challenge it currently is.
GC13
level2
level2

Postby GC13 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:31 am

There's still the cost incentive, which was the only reason we had to use small pipes before Alpha 13.

I just don't think prisoners tunneling through large pipes is a large enough concern to add in a new item to combat it. Unless you're deliberately living dangerously and not inspecting cells, even at their heightened rate of tunneling you have no real danger unless you do a really silly design flaw (like a cell where the required tunneling path is simply: toilet, wall, freedom).
perryliu97
level2
level2

Postby perryliu97 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:15 am

The devs said on Twitter that they're massively nerfing the number of tunnel escapes, so an extra item really isn't needed.
Der_Doodle
level1
level1

Postby Der_Doodle » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:09 am

Why do they nerf the tunneling rates? As long as you keep the amount of tools low-ish and check the cells every 2nd or 3rd day or so tunnels really are no problem at all.

I inspect my cell blocks usually during lunch or work times so the cells get searched but not the prisoners in general (less complain)
To detect tools you have metal detectors and if you find something in the cell you can search the prisoner during his lockdown automaticly with the policy (if they finally ad tunneling as an escape attempt)
perryliu97
level2
level2

Postby perryliu97 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:28 am

Der_Doodle wrote:Why do they nerf the tunneling rates? As long as you keep the amount of tools low-ish and check the cells every 2nd or 3rd day or so tunnels really are no problem at all.

I inspect my cell blocks usually during lunch or work times so the cells get searched but not the prisoners in general (less complain)
To detect tools you have metal detectors and if you find something in the cell you can search the prisoner during his lockdown automaticly with the policy (if they finally ad tunneling as an escape attempt)

I assume that the current situation fails to make the game more entertaining, as everyone's simply searching the whole prison every few days. It becomes more of a routine, rather than fun. If tunnel escapes are rare, you may be happily running your prison for several weeks, and just when you're bored, an escape warning sounds, forcing you to instantly deal with this exciting incident, with all the prisoners trying to escape.

I mean, surely that's more fun than sealing up tunnels every few days that only last a few tiles, without actually changing the gameplay.
McEdy
level2
level2

Postby McEdy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:26 pm

So what's the difference of large pipes and small pipes? Is there a range limitation of the short ones?
henke37
level2
level2

Postby henke37 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:33 pm

They are both range limited. Just that you'd need an incredibly stupid path for the big ones to get long enough for it to be noticeable.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:18 pm

McEdy wrote:So what's the difference of large pipes and small pipes? Is there a range limitation of the short ones?

Prisoners cannot tunnel along small pipes. Or, rather, they gain no advantage by doing so.

xander
Der_Doodle
level1
level1

Postby Der_Doodle » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:48 pm

xander wrote:
McEdy wrote:So what's the difference of large pipes and small pipes? Is there a range limitation of the short ones?

Prisoners cannot tunnel along small pipes. Or, rather, they gain no advantage by doing so.

xander

you 100% sure about that? I think small pipes still speed their diggig up slightly compared to normal ground.

Atleast those digging along small pipes are usually abit longer then those digging through concrete directly.
McEdy
level2
level2

Postby McEdy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:04 pm

xander wrote:Prisoners cannot tunnel along small pipes. Or, rather, they gain no advantage by doing so.

Well I knew that. That's why I'm asking because if both were the same I'd use only small pipes ^^
Der_Doodle
level1
level1

Postby Der_Doodle » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:10 pm

McEdy wrote:
xander wrote:Prisoners cannot tunnel along small pipes. Or, rather, they gain no advantage by doing so.

Well I knew that. That's why I'm asking because if both were the same I'd use only small pipes ^^

so far I understood that Large Pipe equals HUGE bonus on digging speed and small pipe offers only a small bonus on digging speed.
But small pipes only deliver water for 39 squares.
McEdy
level2
level2

Postby McEdy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:59 pm

Ok, 39 squares: that will affect my prison water Management a bit :mrgreen: Thx!

Return to “Community Members”