What should we focus on next?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

What should we focus on during the next few alphas?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:30 pm

Keep adding brand new features
60%
Finish and polish existing features
9%
Bug fixes
7%
Performance enhancements
16%
Story chapters
5%
Game Balance
3%

Total votes: 1169
Ayr1
level0

Re: Alpha 13 - what should we focus on next?

Postby Ayr1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:59 am

Performance enhancements with +150 prisonners (I7 3770k + 2xGTX 660Ti)
Matticus88
level0

Postby Matticus88 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:22 pm

I'd go with More Features. Things like bug fixing and performance tweaking can waiting until Beta, and game balancing and story filling can be done late beta. apart from game breaking bugs of course, they'd need to be fixed asap.
sburymozza
level1
level1

Postby sburymozza » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:03 pm

This all depends on how long the game will be Alpha stage, according to the 1st promo vid they plan on the game being in Alpha for some time.
sidster51
level1
level1

Postby sidster51 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:21 am

showdanevac wrote:I would defnatly like so see some sort of punishment and parole system. very basically In the UK you assault a guard your sentence is incrested (you haveing an opshon to do this in extreme meshers would be nice, assault / murder and so on) and have a system where the sentence can be decrested just like a parole Bord hearing

Jesus, your spelling is terrible.
henke37
level2
level2

Postby henke37 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:17 am

If you think that's bad then you should consider yourself lucky.
furrot
level1
level1

Postby furrot » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:57 pm

I picked new features as I usually do but I was somewhat leaning toward polishing existing features. I find contraband interesting but there are too many hard limits on the system that prevent the game from having interesting and dynamic narratives. The main one of these being that prisoners only hide things in their cell when there is a whole jail of objects that they could hide things in. Example might be hiding a stolen tool under the phone in the yard before being searched. Then when other prisoners use an object there is a chance they could discover the hidden material. Prisoner could also get a "rummage" action that they use to search for things to steal when they have the thief tag.

Looking forward to dogs like everyone else though. Need some better automation of tunnel discovery.
stormkiller112
level0

Postby stormkiller112 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:44 pm

My current wish for the game, is for it to become multiplayer, maybe add an option to play with a friend to play with through steam, both of us handling a co-op prison, that would be a ton of fun.
pathotron
level0

Postby pathotron » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:18 pm

The most sensible thing to do would be performance; When the users are able to make larger prisons it might uncover brand new issues, whereas at the moment the game is being balanced around small 100-150-prisoner prisons.

Larger prisons would also uncover other issues faster as each alpha 'tester' would be able to implement more things.

Don't get me wrong, the new features are what make me keep coming back to the game after a while of not playing it, but larger prisons would just make more sense from a 'trying to iron out bugs' point of view.
benpowerman
level2
level2

Postby benpowerman » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:45 am

said it once I said cheats menu for people who what a lot of prisoner without have to edit the save game file. that way the can test for bug in big prison without having to wait for prisoner!

you can disagrees with me if you want but that how I feel!
Mr_Happy
level0

Postby Mr_Happy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:30 pm

Could we possibly get a way to build with your firends? it would make the life of the game last longer, if you could build a prison with your friend, and would sell more copies, because people bugging their friends to buy it, so they could play together
CmdrxLee
level0

Postby CmdrxLee » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:46 pm

Mr_Happy wrote:Could we possibly get a way to build with your firends? it would make the life of the game last longer, if you could build a prison with your friend, and would sell more copies, because people bugging their friends to buy it, so they could play together

They'd still have to buy it, And in order to do that they'd need servers Which in-turn cost money and then there's the Server side development which takes time and then taking time away from the "Client" Which Is still in alpha... So I reckon that's out of the question at the moment

There needs to be more scenarios, make the game throw out unexpected issues.. (Cooks are on strike, A tornado has damaged the roads leading to the prison and cannot get deliveries through) things like that but I was thinking more down the line, for now Just focus on something to Prevent tunnelling Oh and maybe introduce gangs So then you Will need to think about where you are placing certain prisoners.
GC13
level2
level2

Postby GC13 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:11 am

Mr_Happy wrote:Could we possibly get a way to build with your firends? it would make the life of the game last longer, if you could build a prison with your friend, and would sell more copies, because people bugging their friends to buy it, so they could play together
The game already has Steam Workshop functionality which allows you to upload your prison and for other people to download and play with what you've built.
FRAG121
level0

Postby FRAG121 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:55 pm

I'm all for new features but I'm just waiting for the day I can play fullscreen again.
chickeninferno
level0

Postby chickeninferno » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:28 pm

Definitely performance enhancements. My current prison barely functions when I try to have my workers do anything...even then the workers seem to be bugged to not want to do most of the work without taking forever to start it. i7-2700k GPU: 6970

I have been cheating a little to give myself enough money to build the prison I'd like to before the prisoners actually arrive...and it still lags like crazy. 0 prisoners, ~15 staff, 40 guards, and 28 workers (Large Map).
Erinyes1103
level1
level1

Postby Erinyes1103 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:06 pm

Fix any game breaking bugs that are currently there but focus on adding all the intended features first. You never know what bugs will be introduced as new items are added and performance enhancement should also wait until all the items are there. Otherwise you're just going over old ground when new is eventually added.
I'd do pretty much everything in the order listed, except work on game balance before adding the story.
Let's be honest, missions would be nice but they come with the finish article.

Return to “Community Members”