What should we focus on next?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

What should we focus on during the next few alphas?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:30 pm

Keep adding brand new features
60%
Finish and polish existing features
9%
Bug fixes
7%
Performance enhancements
16%
Story chapters
5%
Game Balance
3%

Total votes: 1169
VoiD88
level5
level5

Re: Alpha 13 - what should we focus on next?

Postby VoiD88 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:55 am

jaygen wrote:I think the team has a much better idea of what they want to accomplish now, optimizing can be done with an eye toward the future.

I'm amazed at how you can think that as long as you're not part of the team. Did you read the Ask Me Anything they just did on reddit? To quote Chris from there:
We try to have a plan, but we can only really predict 2 or 3 alphas into the future.

So no, they cannot optimize for things they aren't even sure about yet, they can only optimize stuff that is already in the game. And they do that: Try one of the earlier Alphas and you will notice how much better PA runs today.
StorymasterQ
level0

Postby StorymasterQ » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:45 am

I don't profess to know about what the developers are doing right now, or even about game development in general, but to me, Alpha builds are the place to make new stuff. Polish and bug fixes can wait until the Beta period.
zepitou
level0

Postby zepitou » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:59 am

Voted "Performance enhancements - make the game run better especially with large numbers of prisoners"

I'd love more features of course.

But this game NEEDS a strong multi-threading implementation, which is in fact an extremely hard internal feature to implement that easily impacts everything else. I could spend hours to explain why it must be done asap, how it will help in the end new features to be implemented without crushing down the game performance (which is slowly happening as you implement more cpu consuming new features on a mono threaded game that already saturates even the strongest cpu as soon as you reach 100-150 people in your prison)...

Don't end up like Cities XL for example...
GEPFC
level0

Postby GEPFC » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:27 pm

I know this is kind of a silly thing, but I would really like to see pathfinding improved, and possibly 'prohibitions' on doors and areas, so that prisoners don't try to use the staff entrances and exits and get punished for doing so.
Kentonio
level0

Postby Kentonio » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Stabilize and optimize. Get the features currently in game complete and working as designed, tidy up the interface and rework where necessary to ensure that the existing game is easily understandable and stands alone for new players.

A lot has been added in recent times and it's left the game feeling quite daunting and unintuitive to new users. I think it would be extremely valuable to take the time out to consolidate what's already there, and ensure that new features and additions can then be added on a stable base.

It should also mean that when future features are added, it'll be a lot quicker and simpler to integrate them into game, and balance them without having to try and isolate which issues are specific to that particular feature.
Causeless
level2
level2

Postby Causeless » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:20 pm

I think people don't understand exactly what the issues are with premature optimization, and what premature optimization actually means.

The BAD premature optimization is the type hat complicates or limits chunks of code while it's being written. The stuff that saves barely any CPU cycles and will probably get replaced.

However, stuff where you are changing how things are rendered, or the such, aren't bad. That stuff is going to be done eventually, and now is as good a time as ever.
ElHein
level0

Postby ElHein » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:52 pm

You should definately add rape to the game.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:59 pm

ElHein wrote:You should definately add rape to the game.

Go. Away.

xander
FatSwine
level0

Re:

Postby FatSwine » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:02 pm

Chris wrote:- Story chapters - start creating more chapters to continue the story started in Death Row

You should make a death row first! ;)
ElHein
level0

Postby ElHein » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:17 am

xander wrote:
ElHein wrote:You should definately add rape to the game.

Go. Away.

xander

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAU9IEkdT_M
It's a realistic part of the correctional facility lifestyle.
user42
level1
level1

Postby user42 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:10 pm

I'd also have to say "New features" and if I had my choice, I'd like a "do that right now" feature on the jobs. It's in furiating to have to wait until the workers get around to building a door where I had to have them tear down a fence because otherwise they wouldn't build the door.
Riven
level0

Postby Riven » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:54 pm

Voted Finish and polish existing features. I'm new on this game but I think it will be better to play now without few bugs out and features polished.
alkajo
level0

Postby alkajo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:49 pm

I would also go for performance. Multi core might be a huge step. Would help playing the game on laptops. Medium or large prisons are too laggy atm.(amd a6 1.5ghz)
goodvibesman
level1
level1

Postby goodvibesman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:17 pm

I honestly can't wait for Gangs to be implemented! For now I am content with getting doggies soon!
Striket1234
level1
level1

Postby Striket1234 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:51 am

Add new stuff!!!!

Return to “Community Members”