Kitchen/Canteen - problems getting the food to the servers

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

LeftyRighty
level0

Kitchen/Canteen - problems getting the food to the servers

Postby LeftyRighty » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:40 am

Let me set the scene... you've got your 2 cooks, you've got "prison labour" so you have your helpers and you've set the regimen to a sequence of: work, work, work, eat, eat

Work periods start, the food is taken from the freezers to the cookers, the food starts being made. About half way through the 3 work periods, the freezers are mostly empty so more is ordered and appears by truck. The cooks run off somewhere in the 3rd hour to get the food. The work period ends, the prisoners pile into the canteen to eat... but the food is still on the cookers, the cooks are still moving food... the servers are empty. The eat periods end with most of the prisoners hungry and the cooks begin turning the food on the cookers to rubbish.

The only "work around" I've found is have many paid cooks... which seems to go against the idea of prison labour to keep the costs down.

Anyone else run into this issue?

It might just be me, or something to do with my regime/setup or whatever... but I think the "take cooked food to server" job should be bumped up the priorities a little bit, especially in the "eat" periods. The cooks have plenty of time to restock once the eat period is over (unless you have an endless buffet?! lol).

Alternatively (or in addition) maybe the food supplies could be taken from Deliveries to Storage by the workers rather than the cooks? at least that way a good storage placement would alleviate the issue.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:38 pm

Food technically can be taken from deliveries inside by prisoners; the only problem is they'll make a break for it once they get outside. :)

I think the cooks actually do prioritize food serving pretty well, but they won't stop what they're doing to go do it. So, if they've just started to go outside to get food they won't switch to food serve mode until they get all the way out there and back.

If you're having food issues, hire more prison labor and/or make a 3-hour meal time.
Person012345
level2
level2

Postby Person012345 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:49 pm

This is probably just the same poor cook AI that's always been in the game. It needs to be tweaked up at some point. Alpha is alpha.
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:08 pm

There's not much you can do here, except have more hired cooks as you point out. The prisoner cooks don't have time to serve the food during the work regime before the eat regime starts, which means they need to leave the kitchen.

I agree that the cooks need to only go out to get more ingredients during the "off" hours. Alternative is to have the cooks (paid or prisoner) start cooking and put out the food an hour before the eat regime starts. This would allow the prisoner cooks to distribute the food to the serving tables before they turn into regular prisoners.
Spectre Incarnate
level2
level2

Re: Kitchen/Canteen - problems getting the food to the serve

Postby Spectre Incarnate » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:18 pm

LeftyRighty wrote:Let me set the scene... you've got your 2 cooks, you've got "prison labour" so you have your helpers and you've set the regimen to a sequence of: work, work, work, eat, eat

Mealtimes take 4 hours of preparation time, so you might want to have 4 hours of work beforehand, instead of 3. If you want to keep 3 work hours, then set them an hour ahead of eat time and have a few more cooks to be able to finish everything up in the last hour.

Return to “Community Members”