Wow, these escapees certainly know a lot about the prison!

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

bamapookie
level1
level1

Wow, these escapees certainly know a lot about the prison!

Postby bamapookie » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:54 pm

I love the new escapee model, but don't you think it was a bad idea to give each inmate a copy of the blueprints when they came in? :) It might be a PITA to keep track of this, but maybe their knowledge of where to dig should be tempered by what they have actually seen. Maybe they don't know there are pipes running under this building they've never been in or that some area they haven't been in might have easier walls under which to tunnel?

Just my thoughts. Can't wait to play A13 when I get home.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:09 pm

I had a similar thought; it would be interesting if eventually we could keep hoods on the prisoners when they're outside their cell, like the Black Dolphin prison (which also has guard dogs trained to constantly terrorize the prisoners).
Flint
level2
level2

Postby Flint » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:49 am

Prisoners seem to know a lot about the prison, even areas they have never been in. As soon as a hole is made to the outside of the prison everyone seem to just go right to that direction, as long as 1 prisoners has seen it then they all auto riot. Bit buggy to me.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:52 am

Its a balancing issue..
With the sincerest regards,
111none
bamapookie
level1
level1

Postby bamapookie » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Regarding the intricate knowledge of the prison layout. It is fair to say that they have a lot of time to study and prepare the route, but maybe they should have a bit of the fog of war as well. Intelligence of the prisoner should be taken into account as well.
Novbert
level2
level2

Postby Novbert » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:46 pm

Actually their 'intelligence' doesn't necessarily come from exact knowledge of the prison layout. They just dig their was out of their building, then advance on the shortest possible route towards the fences, change their direction once they run into a wall, and use pipes if they happen to run into some - isn't it the case? That makes sense for me.

It might work like this: The game generates a dig map without assuming the prisoners have knowledge of the pipes, then it finetunes that dig map taking into consideration that while prisoners dig along the default dig directions, they run into pipes, which provide easier escape, thus it's logical for them to turn that way instead.
Inkku
level1
level1

Postby Inkku » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:18 pm

I havent played the new alpha yet, but the escaping prisoners sounds so awesome :D
First thing that pops into my mind is, not everyone can be so inteligent to know exactly when hes out, there should be some kind of % number from escapees that fails on theyr digging and pops theyr head outside of theyr hole (now the escapee doesnt need to come out from the hole, but leaving a hole texture on the ground)..
If you would see the hole then you could prevent the escape, but you would need to find the escapees cell, or you could "search" the hole.
To make it more interesting the escaping prisoner would get some kind of buff to dig harder (because obviously hole in the ground is not invisible..)

Just my idea on the subject :)
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Postby thekillergreece » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:23 pm

Good idea..Thats the way to balance the game..
Mouaku
level0

Postby Mouaku » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:43 pm

Inkku wrote:I havent played the new alpha yet, but the escaping prisoners sounds so awesome :D
First thing that pops into my mind is, not everyone can be so inteligent to know exactly when hes out, there should be some kind of % number from escapees that fails on theyr digging and pops theyr head outside of theyr hole (now the escapee doesnt need to come out from the hole, but leaving a hole texture on the ground)..
If you would see the hole then you could prevent the escape, but you would need to find the escapees cell, or you could "search" the hole.
To make it more interesting the escaping prisoner would get some kind of buff to dig harder (because obviously hole in the ground is not invisible..)

Just my idea on the subject :)

heh I'd love to see failed escape attempts, they should definitely add this, its really in keeping with the bullfrog style.
LittleMikey
level0

Postby LittleMikey » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:42 pm

Prisoners can probably hear the water running through the heavy pipes, and follow the sound.
Causeless
level2
level2

Postby Causeless » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:14 pm

Novbert wrote:Actually their 'intelligence' doesn't necessarily come from exact knowledge of the prison layout. They just dig their was out of their building, then advance on the shortest possible route towards the fences, change their direction once they run into a wall, and use pipes if they happen to run into some - isn't it the case? That makes sense for me.

It might work like this: The game generates a dig map without assuming the prisoners have knowledge of the pipes, then it finetunes that dig map taking into consideration that while prisoners dig along the default dig directions, they run into pipes, which provide easier escape, thus it's logical for them to turn that way instead.

No, the digmap has knowledge of every wall, pipe, other tunnel, and so on. It probably works similar to potential field pathfinding.

Return to “Community Members”