Tunnel digging and the effect on sleep needs

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

bamapookie
level1
level1
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:28 pm

Tunnel digging and the effect on sleep needs

Postby bamapookie » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:09 pm

If a prisoner is digging all night, he isn't sleeping. Is he going to show the effects of sleep deprivation or need extra time for sleep?
User avatar
Ric666
level3
level3
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:12 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Postby Ric666 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Good question. Will need some testing :)
Xoligy
level3
level3
Posts: 323
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:34 am

Postby Xoligy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:18 pm

That is a good question, but i suppose it depends how long they dig for too? is it all night? Does this mean that freetime regimes are a thing of the past?
hkben
level0
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:11 pm

Postby hkben » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:19 pm

they also dig in freetime .
lore2688
level1
level1
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:28 pm

Postby lore2688 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:28 pm

hkben wrote:they also dig in freetime .


this is a problem...during work time, the prisoner who don't work have free time and can dig! we have to use the search function every time?
Fistalis
level1
level1
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:56 pm

Postby Fistalis » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:24 pm

lore2688 wrote:
hkben wrote:they also dig in freetime .


this is a problem...during work time, the prisoner who don't work have free time and can dig! we have to use the search function every time?

They always dig from toilets.. easiest thing to do is periodically search all toilets. Also the ones most likey to dig are ones with high freedom or safety need. So searching them while they sleep tends to be a good idea.

I'll pay more attention to sleep need next time i catch one.

Edit: if you do shakedowns often they will find the tunnels then when they search the toilets. I tend to avoid full shakedowns since I run with low guard numbers but i can afford one to occasionally search all the toilets.
grondinm
level1
level1
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:34 pm
Location: Canada

Postby grondinm » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:32 pm

since they dig from toilets can't the threat of digging be avoided by just not putting a toilet in cells and making a public bathroom type thing....that way they can't fake sleep or would a fake inmate still show up in the bed of said inmate?
Xoligy
level3
level3
Posts: 323
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:34 am

Postby Xoligy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:35 pm

grondinm wrote:since they dig from toilets can't the threat of digging be avoided by just not putting a toilet in cells and making a public bathroom type thing....that way they can't fake sleep or would a fake inmate still show up in the bed of said inmate?


No, cells need toilets and prisoners will not be moved to cells till that there.
grondinm
level1
level1
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:34 pm
Location: Canada

Postby grondinm » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:37 pm

Xoligy wrote:
grondinm wrote:since they dig from toilets can't the threat of digging be avoided by just not putting a toilet in cells and making a public bathroom type thing....that way they can't fake sleep or would a fake inmate still show up in the bed of said inmate?


No, cells need toilets and prisoners will not be moved to cells till that there.


what a brain fart....i forgot about that requirement for a moment...i'll see myself out...
User avatar
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2000 7:28 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact:

Postby Chris » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:22 pm

Tunnelling prisoners will be more tired than you'd expect, because they don't discharge their sleep need whilst tunnelling.

However they won't tunnel if they are exhausted. They'll choose to sleep instead.
User avatar
Ric666
level3
level3
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:12 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Postby Ric666 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Cool. Thanks for the response Chris. :)
bamapookie
level1
level1
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:28 pm

Postby bamapookie » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:48 pm

Yeah, thanks, Chris! Great game you have here.
lore2688
level1
level1
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:28 pm

Postby lore2688 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:53 pm

Chris wrote:Tunnelling prisoners will be more tired than you'd expect, because they don't discharge their sleep need whilst tunnelling.

However they won't tunnel if they are exhausted. They'll choose to sleep instead.


i don't have played the new alpha version yet but how often (on average) the prisoners will try to escape via tunnel(every day, monthly or random?)
bamapookie
level1
level1
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:28 pm

Postby bamapookie » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:57 pm

lore2688 wrote:i don't have played the new alpha version yet but how often (on average) the prisoners will try to escape via tunnel(every day, monthly or random?)


Not having played it yet, I can't say for certian, but I would guess it it based on a desire to escape and ability to acquire the necessary contraband. Prisoners closer to release might be less likely to attempt as well as prisoners who are relatively happy.
User avatar
paktsardines
level5
level5
Posts: 1752
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am
Location: Australia

Postby paktsardines » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:59 pm

At a guess, their need for digging is directly proportional to their need for freedom. In other words, serve shit food and they'll dig more.



edit: Ninjaargh..



edit2: or, I guess you could continue to serve them shit food - just keep them sleep-deprived and too tired to tunnel. ;)

Return to “Community Members”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests