The way the Needs system works - and why it is flawed

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:59 pm

Ric666 wrote:Try cutting out 1 of your eat times & see if that makes a difference. 3 times a day seems a bit extreme to me. I'm half tempted to mine down to once a day but I work my prisoners like a beast so they need 2 eating times. This may allow them to get into more of a rhythm of eating instead of having 3 times to eat in a day. It may or may not upset the balance. Just a thought.

I think one eat regime a day would be able to keep the prisoners happy based on their current rate of hunger accumulation (Alpha-12 context). Problem as I said earlier is that not everyone eats at that one hunger regime, so those prisoners go for over 24 hours with no food. I don't think eating once a day is very realistic in a modern prison, so it's okay in my mind that prisoners won't eat if they're not very hungry, and players are forced have more than one eat regime to cover everyone's habits and situation. I do think, however, that prisoners should fulfill their needs at lower thresholds. Prisoners only seem to eat when their hunger need climbs above four pluses '++++.' Perhaps it would be better if they filled up with food after only two?
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:17 pm

_alphaBeta_ wrote:I think one eat regime a day would be able to keep the prisoners happy based on their current rate of hunger accumulation (Alpha-12 context). Problem as I said earlier is that not everyone eats at that one hunger regime, so those prisoners go for over 24 hours with no food. I don't think eating once a day is very realistic in a modern prison, so it's okay in my mind that prisoners won't eat if they're not very hungry, and players are forced have more than one eat regime to cover everyone's habits and situation. I do think, however, that prisoners should fulfill their needs at lower thresholds. Prisoners only seem to eat when their hunger need climbs above four pluses '++++.' Perhaps it would be better if they filled up with food after only two?

you're right. 1 mealtime a day probably wouldn't work. Certainly not just now anyway & would be perfectly happy for the eating threshold to also drop :)

I wish they would change their clothes at a lower threshold. Not for any game breaking reason as they don't riot for clothing anymore. Just simply because I hate having my whole needs page nice & low with this one massive line for clothing only :P
dc4bs
level1
level1

Postby dc4bs » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:35 am

I hired enough chefs/cookers (30) to ensure feeding everyone in a 230 or so prison. Built a canteen that holds everyone at once in the very middle of the prison so everyone can get food in 1 hour and have free time after so anyone still eating can finish.

The meals are at 8 AM freeing up most guards to process intakes and keeps new prisoners hungry till the 8 PM meal. This gets the new intakes right into the swing of things and everyone seems pretty happy with the 12 hour meal cycle.

My favorite time to save/reload to fix lag is 5 mins before wake-up/shower time so their greatest need of hygiene is immediately taken care of AND they all change clothes afterward. ;)

That also allows me to edit the file and set the number of prisoners I need as 8 is never enough to cover the daily releases in larger prisons. with the exception of reducing that number when I seem to randomly get say 50 scheduled sometimes... Dunno what's up with that either.

Return to “Community Members”