Contraband Items

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

manlymeatman
level1
level1

Contraband Items

Postby manlymeatman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:50 am

Is there a reason that a sack of cash would be smuggled in? I have been finding a lot of weird contraband. Some, like the dog leash, seem like they will eventually make sense but some have me baffled. Stealing a hose and rake? How much trouble is someone gonna cause by raking the leaves and putting out fires? Is there a use that they will have, or are they just in there as a joke?
Flint
level2
level2

Postby Flint » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:29 am

The prisoners need that stuff for shower time role play. "when the guards are not watching mind you"
OpexDamo
level0

Postby OpexDamo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:54 am

i dont think all the contraband has to tie in properly to be appreciated, the weird and wonderful is entertaining although diminishing returns for each time found.
But in saying that necessity is the mother of all inventions and i am sure if you gave a prisoner a rake, or hose they would somehow make a weapon out of it.
Grimgor
level0

Postby Grimgor » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:33 am

I had a guy who was convicted for armed robbery (pleaded not guilty) smuggle in a shotgun. :lol:
Daiky
level1
level1

Postby Daiky » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:19 am

They can bribe a guard in return for keys with a sack of cash. The rake can be a weapon to knock out a guard and the hose to disable a metal detector (+ letting it explode to knock out the guard standing next to it).
I can't wait to see all the prisoners using contraband against you, it can make the game suddenly much more of a challenge.
Xoligy
level3
level3

Postby Xoligy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:38 am

As already said contraband is not coded in fully yet and we have no ideas how its going to work at the moment, as said cash could be used to ribe guards at some point and most things can be used as weapons or to cover escape tunnels when they are implemented.

I found the contraband update a little lame brought nothing to the game in the current update other than we could see what was brought in and from where (something that really does not bother me just grab it take it off them who cares?)
LennyLeak
level2
level2

Postby LennyLeak » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:28 pm

I'm guessing the rake will be broken up with the shaft getting shaped into a spear, and the head getting turned into shanks. I bet the hose is for a makeshift distiller. :)
Safilpope
level1
level1

Postby Safilpope » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:39 pm

I'd like to see them smuggling the rakes in... One down each trouser leg! :lol:
henke37
level2
level2

Postby henke37 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:41 pm

You have no idea how much people can carry with appropriate clothes.
Safilpope
level1
level1

Postby Safilpope » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:34 am

This actually reminds me of a great story in Orwell's 'Memoirs of Catalonia' where he and his comrades are smuggling rifles down a street by shoving one down each trouser leg! Its a brilliant book, read it if you ever get the chance.
LennyLeak
level2
level2

Postby LennyLeak » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:21 pm

dc4bs
level1
level1

Postby dc4bs » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:27 pm

LennyLeak wrote:Concealed carry, much?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdRE-CuBms4 :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Erm...

MAJOR EDIT:

So OK. After I laughed at the pile of guns the kid pulled out I then clicked on one of the other videos at the end of the one you posted.
That's the one that ticked me off...

So the rant below is NOT about what you posted. That one is quite interesting to see just what can be stuffed down baggy "banger" pants.

The actual video that triggered the rant below is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s

Anyway, apologies for going off on a tangent as I did. I've been under major stress this passed week moving mom and stepdad out of their house of the last 15 or so years and into a retirement community. He has been having increasing memory issues and she now has cancer and can no longer take care of them both much less maintain the house at this point.

No one wanted this but there just isn't any other viable solution at the moment as both of their pensions/insurance/etc. is all in Canada and My sisters and I live in the US about 600 miles away...

Anyway, the original rent is left untouched below for your amusement. Well, unless a mod wants it removed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I know this may get the thread locked/deleted but dumb things like this push my buttons.

---

Sure. Announce up front that your study took in people who had "More than 100 hours with a gun" but then only mention later on that it's with an air-soft pistol and that absolutely none of them had any previous formal training of any kind.

An air-soft is VERY different than a real pistol. Still very dangerous in it's own right if used improperly, an air-soft is just not a serious weapon. I never participated in this idiocy, but I had friends when I was growing up who would wear 2 (or 3) pairs of jeans, heavy jackets and protective head gear and run around in the woods shooting each other with bb guns / air-softs, etc. They generally never wore shorts due to all the little bruises and welts on their legs. One was a police sergeants son from the next town over (quite the rebellious lad, he was... ;). None of them was ever injured beyond a small bruise or welt to my knowledge.

I cannot disagree with the statement that many states requirements for concealed carry are too lax though. ANYONE carrying ANY weapon should have serious training and understanding of how to properly use it whether it's a gun or even a knife which can potentially be just as dangerous to it's owner if they don't know what they are doing with one.

But when you get down to it, this "news report" is little more than a scare piece crafted to give the impression "civilians with guns = BAD". Which is trivially easy to disprove and isn't even shown all that well in the piece itself. What it actually shows is "civilians with very little training with guns = incompetent". Well, duh...

I get a laugh whenever "news" or talking head shows give statistics about gun violence in Europe vs. the US as an argument against guns. LOL!

Well, yes, the numbers DO show that the US, taken as a whole, has one of the highest gun violence rates in the world. But here's the part they will NEVER EVER mention in the heavily censored US news. If you remove the gun violence numbers from LA, Detroit and Washington DC suddenly the US drops to around 30th place. Take a few other similar but not quite so famous cities out and suddenly, as if by magic, we have extremely LOW crime rates in the US.

Guess what? Those three specific places I mentioned above have some of the harshest gun laws in the US. The ONLY people who have access to guns are the cops and the criminals. The cops often don't show up till LONG after the shooting stops and will not EVER even enter certain neighborhoods alone.

Heck, Detroit alone has a higher murder rate than Iraq has the last couple years. It's just that there is an agenda behind reporting deaths in Iraq and no one bothers to report about Detroit other than maybe short mentions in the local news.

Conversely if you look at the places in the US where the highest numbers of legal guns exist per citizen you will generally find the lowest violent crime rates. in Those places criminals KNOW they do not have any real advantage over the law abiding, gun-toting citizens.

BTW, the dirty little secret is that European countries (and Australia since the great "legal" gun confiscation a few years back) have MUCH higher violent crime rates than the US. No one in those countries (even the cops in some cases) has a gun to defend themselves from punks with "illegal guns", knives, baseball bats, etc...

Most legal weapon owners have never and will very likely never NEED to draw their weapons anywhere other than at a shooting range. The point is that they exist and criminals KNOW that they do (a secret deterrent is no deterrent) and also will have no idea if one or all of their potential "victims" at any given location may have one tucked away somewhere in a concealed holster or purse, etc...

DISCLAIMER(S):
1) I do not, nor have I ever owned a gun. I have never felt I needed one. However I will ALWAYS defend the right of any law abiding citizen who does feel the need to have one as well as my own to perhaps change my mind about owning one at any point in the future.
2) I have spent a lot of time shooting 22 rifles on ranges at several Boy Scout camps as well as various public access ranges since then. I consider myself a VERY good shot (in controlled, calm surroundings with a 22 rifle and NO other weapon type) and have various awards to show for it.

I don't CURRENTLY personally own a gun for the same reason I don't own a motorcycle. I feel it would simply be more trouble than it is worth TO ME at this point in my life. Perhaps most importantly, I have not had any proper training in the care and handling of a pistol other than "playing" with a friends air-soft plinking tin cans.

I have no idea how I'd react in any incident that might require me to draw a weapon in earnest. Though I do know that historically, I have always been the calmest person in the room when any crises has come up. An hour or so after any crises is dealt with is when I tend to get the willies, if at all. How applicable that may potentially be to a real world gunfight situation, I have no way of knowing unless it (hopefully never) arises.[url][/url]
Kolchak
level2
level2

Postby Kolchak » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:16 pm

They could have great fun whilst implementing contraband ... I especially want to see the ability to decide what is and isn't contraband. Think about it:
- Want to make it easier to fulfill family need? Allow mobiles - but prisoners will be more organised in riots and escapes
- Want happier prisons? Allow booze - but enjoy those drunken riots
- Want to allow your prisoners to relax? Allow cigs or drugs - but you'll need to take account of health issues (and make sure the addictions can be fed)
- Prison over-crowded? Allow weapons!

I do think that there could be some really in depth use of contraband, especially if organised gangs and plots are added. Poisonings, drug overdoses, subsequent (lower quality) contraband being made inside using tools - The possibilities are endless!
snarst
level2
level2

Re: Contraband Items

Postby snarst » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:04 am

manlymeatman wrote:some have me baffled. Stealing a hose and rake? How much trouble is someone gonna cause by raking the leaves and putting out fires?

I've heard someone say they we're told "go sodomize yourself with a broom handle" once by a friend as a kid and when they were older they were in jail for the weekend and found themselves being offered to be shown a trick to turn the showers on by an accused rapist. He was holding a rake handle.
:shock: He did not go into the showers all weekend.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:18 am

Clearly rake handles will be used as shivs, not as suggested above.

Hoses have potential: drugs, weapon for strangulation, home-made distillery ;)

Return to “Community Members”