[Query] Running out of prisoners?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

LeftyRighty
level0

[Query] Running out of prisoners?

Postby LeftyRighty » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:57 pm

I've built a fairly stable prison where most of the prisoners are happy and i can just leave it running quietly in the background.

Prisoner capacity is around 90 with another 10 housable in the holding cell without causing issues. I've had prisoner intake set to min/normal since the start without taking it off.

I've left it running for about an hour real time with about 80 prisoners to start... having come back, I'm down to 60 and I'm losing money (not enough prisoners to pay for the guards, not enough prisoners for all the jobs meaning less income etc.).

It would seem that the intake rate is much less than the release rate (might want to look at tweaking that devs)...

Given that there is so much space for more prisoners is there a way of getting more to come on the bus? Is the intake tied to anything in the current build?

Or do the Max prisoners have longer sentences so you can build up the numbers with them?
OneEyedShark
level1
level1

Postby OneEyedShark » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Yeah that happen alot, the only way around it that i know is to go into the game files and edit the prisoner income (:
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Re: [Query] Running out of prisoners?

Postby MAdMaN » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:37 pm

LeftyRighty wrote:Or do the Max prisoners have longer sentences so you can build up the numbers with them?

Until the release rate is balanced this is the only way other than editing the save file to increase prisoner numbers.
Xoligy
level3
level3

Postby Xoligy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:09 pm

Never had issues with money after fully building a stable prison, have you thought that maybe you have too many staff and not prisoners working? You can easilly make 10k a day from workshops alone and if i remember the pay rate its $100 a day a guard so thats 100 guards right there! lol

As for Max sec, yes they have longer sentences its what i normally play with when i remember change the setting sentences are counting down far too quickly i agree i think its around 2hours 40mins for a month (game time) so a year is done in close to day! (im sure someone can work out the exact time i just get bored and start doing other things :lol: )
Nat3ski
level1
level1

Postby Nat3ski » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:40 pm

i heard that max sec have longer sentances. maybe try that
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:47 pm

Yep max sec tops out at about 180 prisoners in a small prison. It's possible to build enough housing, etc. to keep them happy without buying a land expansion, but only just.
Novbert
level2
level2

Postby Novbert » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:35 am

HerrJoebob wrote:Yep max sec tops out at about 180 prisoners in a small prison. It's possible to build enough housing, etc. to keep them happy without buying a land expansion, but only just.

I've seen slighly more than 200 max secs in a continous intake small prison for short peridos of time. Not really goes above that, though.
dc4bs
level1
level1

Postby dc4bs » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:08 am

I edited a save game made a few seconds after starting a large map. Gave myself a million dollars to start.

Then, over 4 game days spent 965 thousand building a 224 cell prison with all the trimmings. Canteen big enough to seat all of them, 30 cooks & 30 cookers in the kitchen, 18 or so fridges, 8 sinks. The works. Luxury prison built to keep the prisoners happy so I could see what the max daily profit from workshops (given a single 8 hour work period per day) might be.

I then opened intake and edited the save file to bring in 224 prisoners the next day. The last prisoners were placed in their cells just before lights out at 11 PM. Had 50+ guards walking them in but it took all day.

They were somewhat delayed getting processed in due to the first prisoners going to work in the workshops so there were also sheet metal deliveries as well as kitchen ingredients mixed in with the prisoner deliveries. Sometimes all mixed up on the same truck! :)

The full complement of 128 saws/presses all kicked off for the first time the next day. The workers were still delivering sheet metal to the saws 4 hours after the work period ended... Ugh. They are the bottleneck that there is no current way to speed up as no matter how many workers you have only 8 seem to unload and deliver stuff while the rest hang out in the storage area.
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:58 am

The amount of prisoners you have depend on 2 factors,
- map size
- prisoner category

A bigger map gives more prisoners per day on average
A max prisoner stays longer than a min prisoner

If you take the average of both of these and you multiply them you find your max amount of prisoners.
At that number the amount of prisoners you gain om that day will be equal to the amount of prisoners that arrived you average sentence length ago, thus creating a balance.

For normal security on a small map that's about 65 prisoners
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:54 pm

Novbert wrote:
HerrJoebob wrote:Yep max sec tops out at about 180 prisoners in a small prison. It's possible to build enough housing, etc. to keep them happy without buying a land expansion, but only just.

I've seen slighly more than 200 max secs in a continous intake small prison for short peridos of time. Not really goes above that, though.

I shouldn't have said 'tops out' since as you note it can go higher for short periods if you get a few days where only long-sentence guys show up. Instead I should have said that it roughly stabilizes around 180.
atlas3686
level0

Postby atlas3686 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:16 pm

Struggling with this as well, have a capacity of 224 and prisoners have been steadily decreasing from a about 110. Sitting on like 70 now and about to move into a negative income.
perryliu97
level2
level2

Postby perryliu97 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:14 pm

Strange…
For my large map, I can get around 400 max sec prisoners.
In fact, I occasionally stop prisoner intake since my prison overflows.
Meeeps
level3
level3

Postby Meeeps » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:05 pm

perryliu97 wrote:Strange…
For my large map, I can get around 400 max sec prisoners.
In fact, I occasionally stop prisoner intake since my prison overflows.

You are a lucky bastard, you need regulary 30 intakes to hold on 400, I never get that, I usually cheat 30 intakes when the game will give me 8 only.
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:37 pm

It's getting a bit insane now, I'm hovering around 80 normal risk prisoners in a large map.....
Meeeps
level3
level3

Postby Meeeps » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:25 am

you won't get much more, as already said, if you like to go over 100 you need high risk. If you like more than 200, you need to cheat...

Return to “Community Members”