[Suggestion] Showerhead boxes

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

User avatar
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:20 pm
Location: NJ, USA

[Suggestion] Showerhead boxes

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:12 am

Workers currently carry one showerhead per trip, which can make building a large shower a long process. Suggestion is for showerheads to arrive in bulk as boxes similar to electrical cable and water piping.

Only previous suggestion I found was here, but thought it warranted a new topic given that it was buried in the Alpha10 wish list. The suggestion there was also for other items to be bundled as well in a generic cart, which I feel also warrants another mention. With land expansion now, it can be a long walk to the construction site from the delivery or storage zones. Would be nice if workers brought a bunch of supplies with them. This suggestion also brings in that workers could probably be optimized further by doing jobs in close proximity, and not installing a single piece of electric cable and then running to the other side of the map to put the garbage out. This probably means that queued jobs need to change hands, in general, which may be a big step.
User avatar
VoiD88
level5
level5
Posts: 1001
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:24 am
Location: Soltau, Germany
Contact:

Postby VoiD88 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:37 am

I sorta like the idea because it makes sense, but I hope Chris doesn't add this until he fixed the workmens algorithm for building stuff that comes out of boxes, because they have serious problems to do it if you for instance order construction of several pieces of small pipes on opposite ends of the map:
-One worker carries a box to one end of the map while the others stand around doing nothing.
-After he has set the box down, all the other workers start towards it across the entire map, while the one that is already there often places the one piece he's holding and then slowly wanders away with his hands in his pocket.
-Once the first worker of the bunch has reached the box, he picks it up in order to carry it to the other end of the map, despite there still being some pieces to place where the box is. The moment he picks the box up, all other workmen can't do those jobs anymore and return to their idle position until the box is set down at the second location.
-Repeat.

This is a little exaggerated to explain the problem, but it is sort of annoying at the moment to order construction of boxed stuff in different locations because of this behavior.
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates, it's more like a jar of jalapeños: What you do today might burn your a** tomorrow.
~Garfield
OneEyedShark
level1
level1
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:59 am

Postby OneEyedShark » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:53 pm

_alphaBeta_ wrote:Workers currently carry one showerhead per trip, which can make building a large shower a long process. Suggestion is for showerheads to arrive in bulk as boxes similar to electrical cable and water piping.

Only previous suggestion I found was here, but thought it warranted a new topic given that it was buried in the Alpha10 wish list. The suggestion there was also for other items to be bundled as well in a generic cart, which I feel also warrants another mention. With land expansion now, it can be a long walk to the construction site from the delivery or storage zones. Would be nice if workers brought a bunch of supplies with them. This suggestion also brings in that workers could probably be optimized further by doing jobs in close proximity, and not installing a single piece of electric cable and then running to the other side of the map to put the garbage out. This probably means that queued jobs need to change hands, in general, which may be a big step.


I would like to see this in the game :)

VoiD88 wrote:I sorta like the idea because it makes sense, and I hope Chris add this and that he fixed the workmens algorithm for building stuff that comes out of boxes, because they have serious problems to do it if you for instance order construction of several pieces of small pipes on opposite ends of the map:
-One worker carries a box to one end of the map while the others stand around doing nothing.
-After he has set the box down, all the other workers start towards it across the entire map, while the one that is already there often places the one piece he's holding and then slowly wanders away with his hands in his pocket.
-Once the first worker of the bunch has reached the box, he picks it up in order to carry it to the other end of the map, despite there still being some pieces to place where the box is. The moment he picks the box up, all other workmen can't do those jobs anymore and return to their idle position until the box is set down at the second location.
-Repeat.

This is a little exaggerated to explain the problem, but it is sort of annoying at the moment to order construction of boxed stuff in different locations because of this behavior.


And this fixed :!:
fat_wilf
level1
level1
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:55 pm

Postby fat_wilf » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:22 pm

yeah, i think this is a great suggestion.

may not see it for a while but would be a great inclusion
Collic001
level2
level2
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:41 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Collic001 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:36 pm

This would be a great inclusion. Boxes for lights would also be a good idea.
weeby-vuit
level1
level1
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:38 pm

Postby weeby-vuit » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:24 am

This would be great to add, it should also be the same for Lights and bookshelves,

Also rather then the workmen carrying all the items, which is a little silly has a whole crate of pipes is heavy, would it be possible to add pallet trucks to the game?
User avatar
MAdMaN
level4
level4
Posts: 899
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:12 pm
Location: Manchester, England

Postby MAdMaN » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:36 am

weeby-vuit wrote:Also rather then the workmen carrying all the items, which is a little silly has a whole crate of pipes is heavy, would it be possible to add pallet trucks to the game?

For me that's getting into too much unnecessary detail. The game is supposed to be about running a prison. That they're delivered, the workmen move and unpack the crates and then have to place those objects, rather than having them magically appear from nowhere, is enough.
henke37
level2
level2
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:22 pm
Location: Sweden

Postby henke37 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:13 pm

I think that trucks is a great idea. It would be hilarious to see the resulting bugs and it would be a good risk. More efficient workers, but also stealable and noisy equipment.
weeby-vuit
level1
level1
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:38 pm

Re:

Postby weeby-vuit » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:48 pm

henke37 wrote:I think that trucks is a great idea. It would be hilarious to see the resulting bugs and it would be a good risk. More efficient workers, but also stealable and noisy equipment.


thank you, I personally think that a Prison Architect game should be as realistic as possible and as such, pallet trucks should be added. (it's not a critical update)
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: Re:

Postby xander » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:08 pm

weeby-vuit wrote:I personally think that a Prison Architect game should be as realistic as possible...

Why? This is clearly not what the developers want. Chris has stated that the game is based as much on the popular culture surrounding prisons (movies, books, and so) as on the reality of prisons.

xander
killerx243
level1
level1
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: [Suggestion] Showerhead boxes

Postby killerx243 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:35 pm

I think prisons with forklifts are asking for trouble :P

Return to “Community Members”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests