[Suggestion] My suggestions

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

McEdy
level2
level2

[Suggestion] My suggestions

Postby McEdy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:47 pm

Ok second try (i accidently closed the window of my post while writing xDD) I have some suggestions for ya :)

1. When you do SHIFT+TAB to open up the steam tab the game is still running. Pls make the game stop when doing this :wink:
2. Workshops have a too low number of jobs to assign (because it depends on the size of the workshop). For the moment you have to build too large workshops to have a few jobs for your income. There is much space not used when you have to build such big workshops... Look at this laundry and the workshop underneath it: the laundry has half the size of the workshop but has more jobs to be assgined xD Image

3. Cams can look trough walls. This is sometimes helpful but it's not possible in reality so pls fix this.

4. The contraband is very difficult to control: I always have to do shakedown because there is too much of it (75% weapons and such)... And I have metal detectors almost everywhere. I mean it's cool that metal detectors doesn't detect all metal stuff (it's kinda radom at the moment it seems), but there is too much of contraband in my prison :/ Cellphones weren't detected in alpha 12 at all. Some dog who detect smelly things would be cool, aswell as that the metal detectors detect metal better :wink: Pls make the dog to a stable unit like the normal guards: they could smell the smell like a route so they come to the thing that creates this smell and find it. And I miss this thing that the things lay on the ground when founded, pls change this. At the moment the things only disappear... it could be made in a way that the things lay on the ground and are put into a garbage bag, which is put into the dumpster, which you can build in alpha 12 already. The dumbster could be a source of contraband aswell so you would have to place it in areas which prisoners can't reach easily.

5. The last thing is a question: are there weapons already in the game? I found a shotgun already which was carried by a prisoner xD An interesting thing would be gunfights that the prisoners could do when they have a weapon. There could be tier3 guards (tier1 = normal, tier2= riot guard), which have weapons to fight these prisoners. (Perhaps as emergency unit like riot guards)

6. Better control over the cells with seperate cell rooms selectable in a cell block on deployment screen. At the moment they melt together to a huge cell block room so that you can't say "I want cell 12 to be high security area and cell 3 to be low security area." And these security levels depend the prisoners sent to so pls implement this :wink:
Last edited by McEdy on Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Re: Suggestions of mine

Postby MAdMaN » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:45 pm

McEdy wrote:2. Workshops have a too low number of jobs to assign (because it depends on the size of the workshop). For the moment you have to build too large workshops to have a few jobs for your income. There is much space not used when you have to build such big workshops... Look at this laundry and the workshop underneath it: the laundry has half the size of the workshop but has more jobs to be assgined xD

The workers in the laundry are essentially assigned to the whole prison, as that's the area they're cleaning.

McEdy wrote:3. Cams can look trough walls. This is sometimes helpful but it's not possible in reality so pls fix this.

Known issue that'll be fixed later.

McEdy wrote:4. The contraband is very difficult to control: I always have to do shakedown because there is too much of it (75% weapons and such)... And I have metal detectors almost everywhere. I mean it's cool that metal detectors doesn't detect all metal stuff (it's kinda radom at the moment it seems), but there is too much of contraband in my prison

You mustn't have them positioned for maximum efficiency. The best places to have them are at the entrances to any room the prisoners have access to that they can get contraband (canteen, workshop, visitation, etc.) and the prison entrance (so any they bring in themselves is found).

McEdy wrote:I mean it's cool that metal detectors doesn't detect all metal stuff (it's kinda radom at the moment it seems), but there is too much of contraband in my prison :/ Cellphones weren't detected in alpha 12 at all.

Contraband is one area that is still undergoing a lot of development.

McEdy wrote:Some dog who detect smelly things would be cool

Mentioned in the Alpha 12 video as coming later in development (dogs are already in the graphics files).

McEdy wrote:And I miss this thing that the things lay on the ground when founded, pls change this. At the moment the things only disappear...

The reason it was changed is that other prisoners would pick up the contraband so it wouldn't be removed from the prison.

McEdy wrote:5. The last thing is a question: are there weapons already in the game? I found a shotgun already which was carried by a prisoner xD An interesting thing would be gunfights that the prisoners could do when they have a weapon.

Ballistic weapons don't currently work. Melee weapons do work but can be a little overpowered.

McEdy wrote:There could be tier3 guards (tier1 = normal, tier2= riot guard), which have weapons to fight these prisoners. (Perhaps as emergency unit like riot guards)

They'd be a hardier riot guard unit. Other weapon using forces (e.g. army) would only be deployed in the case of a major failure where the prison was in danger of having all prisoners escape at once.

McEdy wrote:6. Better control over the cells with separate cell rooms selectable in a cell block on deployment screen. At the moment they melt together to a huge cell block room so that you can't say "I want cell 12 to be high security area and cell 3 to be low security area." And these security levels depend the prisoners sent to so pls implement this :wink: :D

Prisons don't keep prisoners of differing security levels in the same areas.
Silvereye
level1
level1

Postby Silvereye » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:12 am

@ McEdy: Point 1: I dont want to automatically stop it when i Tabbed elsewhere cause i want to do some other things when i wait for next Day for Payments and/or more Prisoners. When u hit Pause and switching, yeah it should hold this state until i unpause it. But automatically, please no. Dont wanna watch whole time for some ingamehours when nothing else to do at moment for me. So running in Background is good.

Point 2: Ur Workshops: It depends on the SIZE of ur Workshop. Make it bigger and u get more Jobs there. Its not the Machines who set the Number of Jobs. Like any other Room and Jobs, its set by the SIZE of the Room. So play bit with different sizes to get what u want. Personally i do 20 Jobs Workshops at moment. It fits me well.
And i dont think the Workshop needs "too much" Space for the Numbers of Jobs. They need more Space cause they work whole time here and need the Space for the items and for walking to bring the Material to another table. The Size is ok when u think about what they do and how long they stay there.
Otherwise u just can Put machine on machine side by side without (or with less) space. Cmon its a Workshop. Never seen in Documentation or Films hows this works? :) They need more space here. All fine for me at its current state about the size.

3&4&5 u already get the answers :)

Point 6: U can seperate some Rooms if u Build more Foundations connected as one Building then seperate it with some Big doors. So u can have left side for High sec Prisoners and the right side for Low Sec Prisoners and it looks like ONE Building. I seperate the Areas for my Guards to not have long Patrol ways, so i know this WILL work.
My first language isnt English, so apologize when its not easy to read.
Spectre Incarnate
level2
level2

Postby Spectre Incarnate » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:01 am

McEdy wrote:1. When you do SHIFT+TAB to open up the steam tab the game is still running. Pls make the game stop when doing this :wink:

Silvereye wrote:Point 1: I dont want to automatically stop it when i Tabbed elsewhere

He's not talking about Alt-Tab. He's talking about the Steam Overlay. When you pause the game in Steam and then Shift-Tab to go to the Overlay to chat to someone, it unpauses the game without your permission.

Anyway, the work around at the moment is to open the Esc menu in the game before opening the overlay. I know, I was like OMG DUH when I realized.... :lol:
McEdy
level2
level2

Postby McEdy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:12 am

Silvereye wrote:It depends on the SIZE of ur Workshop.

Well I know that it depends on the size, I already wrote this in my first post so read carefully ;)
But I mean that I would appreciate a higher number of jobs per area so that there would be e.g 6 jobs for 5x5.
I just want to be able to use the area more efficient, because I don't wanna spend ten thousands of dollars just for a workshop :wink:
Silvereye
level1
level1

Postby Silvereye » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:34 am

McEdy wrote:I just want to be able to use the area more efficient, because I don't wanna spend ten thousands of dollars just for a workshop :wink:

Then next is 1x1 Cells to be more efficent and get more Prisoners. I already wrote that above: A Workshop is not just a room to Place some Machines. They need Space to Work, walk, put the Material and so on. Its not a Slave Cage where they cant move and they just have the Space on the Machine. And 10k Dollars are back in 1 and a half day when ur Prisoners work. After that u get Huge amount of Money. So no i dont see why it should be more Jobs in lesser Space. Looks fine for me as it is.
McEdy
level2
level2

Postby McEdy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:28 pm

MAdMaN wrote:You mustn't have them positioned for maximum efficiency. The best places to have them are at the entrances to any room the prisoners have access to that they can get contraband (canteen, workshop, visitation, etc.) and the prison entrance (so any they bring in themselves is found).

Well I was smart enough for that Hehe ^^ But thanks for the tip :) I positioned them at the workshop, the cell block entrances, the holding cell entrance and the entrance to the staff zone.

MAdMaN wrote:Mentioned in the Alpha 12 video as coming later in development (dogs are already in the graphics files).

Yeah, I know this ^^ I just want to support this idea and made my own ideas about this core idea :)

"MAdMaN wrote:They'd be a hardier riot guard unit. Other weapon using forces (e.g. army) would only be deployed in the case of a major failure where the prison was in danger of having all prisoners escape at once.

Oh, these escapes would be awesome! Currently it's not that exciting because the prisoners don't try to capture the prison... Perhaps the team could make them wanting to capture your prison effectively :)
McEdy
level2
level2

Postby McEdy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Silvereye wrote:Then next is 1x1 Cells to be more efficent and get more Prisoners. I already wrote that above: A Workshop is not just a room to Place some Machines. They need Space to Work, walk, put the Material and so on. Its not a Slave Cage where they cant move and they just have the Space on the Machine. And 10k Dollars are back in 1 and a half day when ur Prisoners work. After that u get Huge amount of Money. So no i dont see why it should be more Jobs in lesser Space. Looks fine for me as it is.

Well, there is a minimum size to prevent that. But I mean, when I create a 5x5 workshop I can place 4 machines in there (so that there is much space between them), but I can only assign 3 prisoners to work on 4 machines :( So +1 job would be good so that there isn't unnecessary waste of space :wink:

P.S. The machines are 3x1 so a 1x1 is impossible, it has to be at least 7x1 so that there is a saw, a press and a door Hehe :P Just a little joke ^^
Petrini
level1
level1

Postby Petrini » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:18 pm

workshop requires 12 floor tiles per worker. Laundry/Cleaning/Kitchen requires 4 tiles per worker.

So to geta full sized workshop with 20 workers you need 240 floor tiles compared to only 80 for laundry/Cleaning/Kitchen.
McEdy
level2
level2

Postby McEdy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:25 pm

I think that the workshop should be lowered to 10 floor tiles per worker so that there is more efficiency but no slavery workplace :)
(Because then I would have 4 jobs with a 9x5 workshop in which 4 machines would perfectly fit into with 1 space on each side ^^)
GeneralXTL
level1
level1

Re: [Suggestion] My suggestions

Postby GeneralXTL » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:41 pm

1. When you do SHIFT+TAB to open up the steam tab the game is still running. Pls make the game stop when doing this :wink:

Oh please no. I Shift+Tab constantly when my days money is out and im waiting for more money to come in. If i have the game going at max speed i want it to stay at max speed when i Shift+Tab.[/quote]
McEdy
level2
level2

Postby McEdy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:46 pm

ALL games do so. And I think that has a reason :wink:
Spectre Incarnate
level2
level2

Re: [Suggestion] My suggestions

Postby Spectre Incarnate » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:59 pm

GeneralXTL wrote:Oh please no. I Shift+Tab constantly when my days money is out and im waiting for more money to come in. If i have the game going at max speed i want it to stay at max speed when i Shift+Tab.

There is a bug with the Steam Overlay where the game will unpause itself after being paused and Shift-Tabbing.

McEdy wrote:ALL games do so. And I think that has a reason :wink:

No, I don't know of any games in my Steam that auto-pause when bringing up the overlay..? Not unless I pause the game myself. But PA is bugged and will unpause itself and I thought that's what you meant? As I said before, the workaround is to open the Esc menu first.
Silvereye
level1
level1

Postby Silvereye » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:14 pm

McEdy wrote:I think that the workshop should be lowered to 10 floor tiles per worker so that there is more efficiency but no slavery workplace :)
(Because then I would have 4 jobs with a 9x5 workshop in which 4 machines would perfectly fit into with 1 space on each side ^^)

And WHERE will be the Tables then? Yeah Try Build some Tables on ur Outside and Look whats happen :shock:
I think its planned at end to have the Tables to be the only Place for the Material to be Placed and not Longer on the Floor. And they USE the Tables for Placing. So having 2 Tiles on each side is Perfect to Put Tables there and have .. *TADAAAA* 1 Tile where they can walk between the Table and the Machine. Crazy... not?
So think not just at ur Machines. There more things can be placed that fit well with Rooms, not just the Requirements. (And maybe they Put more in later)

Petrini wrote:So to geta full sized workshop with 20 workers you need 240 floor tiles compared to only 80 for laundry/Cleaning/Kitchen.

Laundry and Cleaning have the Whole Prison to work too. For Cleaning its just a Holding room for the Items. In laundry to Wash them, but they must run over the whole Map to each bed. So its not the same with this 2.
Next is Kitchen. At Kitchen u just need a 2x1 Space for ur Cooker. (Fridges are Multiused by all Cookers.) So its ok when its smaller. But i think it can be a little bigger in Size need. (so im thinking the other way)
McEdy
level2
level2

Postby McEdy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:06 pm

Well I did never place any tables in the workshop to be honest...

Return to “Community Members”