Humble Bundle Widget Problem

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Spectre Incarnate
level2
level2

Humble Bundle Widget Problem

Postby Spectre Incarnate » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:36 am

The Humble Bundle Widget is burning an image into my TV. No joke.

And I see no way of minimizing it. I've already sent the link to a couple of friends, so I don't need it anymore. Is it really gonna stay there for another four days?? It is debatable according to multiple sources I've researched, but a static image for days on end could possibly cause permanent damage. It is recommended to keep the TV off for a day or two to reset the screen, so yeah.... I'm not too thrilled about having to do that. And neither is the family. :?
Silvereye
level1
level1

Postby Silvereye » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:09 am

When your TV is LCD then u CANT get a Burn in, its "LCD Memory Effect"(Ghosting). Maybe u google for it how to fix it.
Its not a Problem from Humble Widget or any other Program. Its a Problem with your TV. Most of the time u can fix it with some flashing Screens in different Colours (look youtube for some of them). Sometimes youu will get this Ghosting now more often.
Had same here with my Monitor too some Month ago, sine then i never got it yet.
When you get it more often then, its time for a new TV.
My first language isnt English, so apologize when its not easy to read.
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:13 am

You think you got it rough?

Think again. :lol:
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates, it's more like a jar of jalapeños: What you do today might burn your a** tomorrow.
~Garfield
Silvereye
level1
level1

Postby Silvereye » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:30 am

Sure, funny picture, but the Point still is: Burning in at LCD Monitors NOT exists. Please inform yourself about that.
Spectre Incarnate
level2
level2

Postby Spectre Incarnate » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:43 am

Silvereye wrote:When your TV is LCD then u CANT get a Burn in, its "LCD Memory Effect"(Ghosting).

Ghosting, burn-in, image persistence, image retention... etc. Whichever term you want to use from whichever tech site.

As said above, I have done research. Flashing the screen and changing colors helps for normal usage. For this strong of an image, which has been persistently "burning in" for a few days now on and off throughout each day, I have to turn the TV off for another few days. Not looking forward to that, cause other than using the computer there's not much else I am able to do to occupy myself at the moment.

Its not a Problem from Humble Widget or any other Program. Its a Problem with your TV.

I think it's a problem with both. If there was a way to minimize it and still be able to read the forums regularly, it wouldn't have done that in the first place. So, I'm trying to let the devs (or whoever put the widget up) know cause they may not have realized what it's doing to some people's monitors.

VoiD88 wrote:You think you got it rough?

OMFG. LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Silvereye
level1
level1

Postby Silvereye » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:05 am

In ur mind its maybe the same, but technically it isnt. U can call it Burn-in, but dont be afraid when someone tells u it isnt :)

The Fast-Flashing ColourVideo helped at my Monitor. Sure, its not an overall solution. Other Solutions i know is with the Whitescreen, or with Cable disconnect for a singal noise.
Hope turning off a while will help you, cause u can have the problem that the crystals will still not "awake". Then u need a new TV.

The Problems with Ghosting are the Crystals in ur Monitor/TV. Maybe they near retirement :) Normally often happens when the Monitor/TV is old and/or in cold state. Some need a Warmup Phase. It can happens in seconds or in Hours. Its just unlucky that u get the "Widget" for the Ghosting Effect. Trust me, it has nothing to do with the Widget.

But: The Widget is a Pain in the Neck to see the whole time, cause already bought the Game and still must see this. Just an "X" to close for anyone who wants or Users in the Alphaforum ("Hellooo they already have the game") would be better.
CriticalRocket
level1
level1

Re: Humble Bundle Widget Problem

Postby CriticalRocket » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:00 pm

Spectre Incarnate wrote:The Humble Bundle Widget is burning an image into my TV. No joke.

And I see no way of minimizing it. I've already sent the link to a couple of friends, so I don't need it anymore. Is it really gonna stay there for another four days?? It is debatable according to multiple sources I've researched, but a static image for days on end could possibly cause permanent damage. It is recommended to keep the TV off for a day or two to reset the screen, so yeah.... I'm not too thrilled about having to do that. And neither is the family. :?

So you've got the Prison Architect forum on your tv 24/7?...
Hey, you there, yes you, the one reading this. Stop reading this. NOW! I'm giving you ONE last warning! Stop! No! Wait! Don't read more! Or I'll..
I'll.. I'll write angry messages on your profile!

Ugh. I give up.
kongoman
level2
level2

Postby kongoman » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:56 pm

It's so easy to get rid of if you use Firefox and the free adblock plus plugin.
- Just right click on the image, choose "Block Frame". Reload. Problem solved. Move on.
Last edited by kongoman on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
henke37
level2
level2

Postby henke37 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:18 pm

I just dropped the widget in the adblock list. Problem solved.
Spectre Incarnate
level2
level2

Postby Spectre Incarnate » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:12 am

*sigh*

Getting a bit sick of the curt, smug, pedantic, and overall cynical attitudes around here, to be honest. But thanks for the "help", I suppose. :?
Didn't know that informing the devs (or whoever set up the widget) of a possible problem would be such an annoyance to you all. :roll:
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:43 am

Spectre Incarnate wrote:*sigh*

Getting a bit sick of the curt, smug, pedantic, and overall cynical attitudes around here, to be honest. But thanks for the "help", I suppose.

Welcome to the internet, you must be new! Also good job contributing with your little '*sigh*'. :)
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:11 am

*sigh*

I thought the question was a good one as I too am puzzled... I genuinely don't understand why you'd have the forums on your TV for long enough to cause screen burn. Can you please give some more details on your setup and motives?

If it helps, there's only 3.5 more days of burning to go.
Silvereye
level1
level1

Postby Silvereye » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:19 am

paktsardines wrote:
*sigh*

I genuinely don't understand why you'd have the forums on your TV for long enough to cause screen burn. Can you please give some more details on your setup and motives?

Theres how it comes where u should start to seach about how the Memory effect on LCD works. Its NOT like the Burn-in on the Old CRT, where u get these when u have a picture for too long viewing and cant get rid of it. Some more info in english here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_persistence
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:57 am

Its NOT like the Burn-in on the Old CRT

I couldn't care less about LCD burn in or ghosting or whatever you're obsessing over, it has nothing to do with my question. I'm asking about why he has the forums on his TV.

For what it's worth, nowhere in these posts has spectre even suggested he has an LCD tv...
Spectre Incarnate
level2
level2

Postby Spectre Incarnate » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:46 am

HerrJoebob wrote:Welcome to the internet, you must be new!

Thank you! But you're some years late on that one.

paktsardines wrote:I thought the question was a good one as I too am puzzled...

It only takes a few minutes for image persistence to "persist" on our LCD TV. A static image from, say, a game UI or the black borders on a movie will stay crystalized there for a long time afterward, especially if the same image keeps coming up on the screen in the exact same spot. (Netflix red band across the top of their site is awful...) And as said above, I came to the forums periodically throughout each day and night for the last three/four days, so the widget image has not had a chance to relax. Most images are removed after a couple hours of the TV being off. This one didn't and it worried me.

Silvereye wrote:Theres how it comes where u should start to seach about how the Memory effect on LCD works. Its NOT like the Burn-in on the Old CRT, where u get these when u have a picture for too long viewing and cant get rid of it. Some more info in english here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_persistence

Not sure what you're trying to show us? That said the same things as the other tech sites.
"Image persistence is the LCD and plasma display equivalent of screen burn."
"Usually the image persistence is temporary, but can become permanent."

Right, anyway... I will look into the ad blocker suggestion. Been meaning to get one, just not sure if I should download it with this computer. Can you download plugins from another computer and transfer them over or does it have to be with that specific computer and browser?

EDIT:
paktsardines wrote:I'm asking about why he has the forums on his TV.

Oh, you just wanted to know why I look at the forums on the TV? Cause it's my computer monitor. I can't sit at a desk for very long due to a spinal disease. :(

Return to “Community Members”