[Suggestion] Use more resources

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:34 am

Pogo wrote:--==<snip>==--

Not all algorithms are parallelizable. And even if a problem is parallizable, not every parallelization is worth the effort. Remember that running in parallel also incurs some overhead. It is my assumption that the biggest slowdown comes from the pathfinding, which might, indeed, gain a significant boost from parallelizaiton, but without knowing exactly what is going on... *shrugs*. Beyond that, I honestly don't even know what might benefit.

xander
Pogo
level2
level2

Postby Pogo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:43 am

Pathfinding was mostly what I was thinking of when talking about multithreading.
( )vertkill
level0

Postby ( )vertkill » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Thanks Pogo for elaborating and clarifying. IMHO, this might have been done in the design phase, but each company has their own methods to their madness. In any case, I'd be willing to wager that this will eventually be done by these fine dev's. But ideas (good or bad) have to be discussed anyway. Its all part of the process. :)

-Overt.

PS - This game is an instant hit in my books. I am having a great time playing. :)
TooDAMNMuch
level1
level1

Postby TooDAMNMuch » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:21 pm

you know if you really are uninformed enough to think you want the game to use all of your processor's CPU time then you can always set the process to realtime priority in the task manager, just don't be surprised as your computer freezes and you learn one of the harsh realities of PC computers.

Return to “Community Members”