[Request] Construction is too convoluted, simplify it.

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

HowPeculiars
level2
level2

[Request] Construction is too convoluted, simplify it.

Postby HowPeculiars » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:50 am

Hi,

I appreciate what you guys are trying to do with regard to building - your attention to detail is truely astounding - but you really need to streamline it. I'm not talking about what the player has to do; I'm talking about what the CPU has to do.

At the moment you are accounting for every single resource a construction might require - Not only does said resource have to be delivered - but it has to be picked individually picked up by workmen and built individually - cell by cell. Ok, some stacking occurs - but its just not enough.

I understand this is just an alpha game - but I try this game every single alpha from the alpha 1 and this still puts me off. The lag and inefficiency of building a new prison from scratch is debilitating. Every time I find myself literally quitting after the first 14 in game hrs - which runs at about 1.2hrs IRL - despite spending 4+ hours IRL to build and design it.
ZestyLemons
level0

Postby ZestyLemons » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:06 am

Not sure why your CPU is dying over construction, because the actual prisoners seem to be much harder on the CPU than building.

As for your woes to building, I can't say that I share them. Contruction, in my opinion, is pretty good as it is but the 1m X 1m brick walls costing $200 each really makes it hard to build anything after you spend your initial budget.
Sorenson
level1
level1

Postby Sorenson » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:35 am

Yeah, this seems waaaaaaay more like a processor issue than something in the game's code, I'm playing on an i5 Core Duo - certainely no spring chicken as processors go - and construction goes like that.
dc4bs
level1
level1

Postby dc4bs » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:09 am

I think he is more against having each individual square of a foundation need to be built by an individual workman who has to actually go get and deliver the supplies to the work site before he can begin to do any constructing.

It gets even worse if you build like I do in strips...

EG:
1: Build a 4x14 building with a double door in the center of one long side.
2: Knock the 2 wall segments opposite from the front door out.
3: Build a 3x14 strip against the wall with the hole.
4...: repeat steps 2-3 until the cell block has as many cells as you want.

Each 2x4 cell then only needs a single $50 wall segment and a door to be fully enclosed (saves me 4 wall segments per cell = $200 -or- $400 per strip) and leaves a 2 wide hallway down the middle.

This method gives you mostly "free" interior walls between cell rows. But at a large cost to frustration. Later in the game I don't bother once the workshop is going strong and there is good cash flow. But early on when you have few workers it can go REALLY slowly with all the downtime between requesting each strip of foundation and when the workers actually respond and begin to actually get them done. ugh.

But then again, it's just part of the game you have to deal with...
SeaCarrot
level0

Postby SeaCarrot » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:39 am

I hope the dev ignores this request. I like the detail of construction, I don't want to just place a box and have it magically build ala age of empires or theme hospital. I like that the little men have to account for every block. Games are being over simplified these days.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:48 am

+1 (for SeaCarrot)
killerx243
level1
level1

Postby killerx243 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:53 am

SeaCarrot wrote:I hope the dev ignores this request. I like the detail of construction, I don't want to just place a box and have it magically build ala age of empires or theme hospital. I like that the little men have to account for every block. Games are being over simplified these days.

This. This right here should be the OP.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Re: [Request] Construction is too convoluted, simplify it.

Postby HerrJoebob » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:09 am

HowPeculiars wrote:Hi,

I appreciate what you guys are trying to do with regard to building - your attention to detail is truely astounding - but you really need to streamline it. I'm not talking about what the player has to do; I'm talking about what the CPU has to do.

At the moment you are accounting for every single resource a construction might require - Not only does said resource have to be delivered - but it has to be picked individually picked up by workmen and built individually - cell by cell. Ok, some stacking occurs - but its just not enough.

I understand this is just an alpha game - but I try this game every single alpha from the alpha 1 and this still puts me off. The lag and inefficiency of building a new prison from scratch is debilitating. Every time I find myself literally quitting after the first 14 in game hrs - which runs at about 1.2hrs IRL - despite spending 4+ hours IRL to build and design it.

Actually the block by block nature is really an enormous simplication in terms of processor power. IMO the problem at the moment is that it's just not optimized, because it's still an alpha.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:15 am

I'm not convinced that's the problem, nor that it's a problem with the game. I have absolutely no problems constructing on my 5+ year-old AMD dual core. (AM2 X2600)
Spectre Incarnate
level2
level2

Postby Spectre Incarnate » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:01 am

Well... I really love the detail of the little workers milling about building things and enjoy lots and lots of heavy micromanagement, seeing as I really enjoy Dwarf Fortress and Dungeon Keeper and stuff like that. I don't have any problem with processor speed, either, but that's.. well, we'll just say it's decent.

Sorry you're having so much trouble. Have you done a spyware cleanup and defrag recently? Might help speed things up a little?
Axios
level2
level2

Postby Axios » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:17 pm

SeaCarrot wrote:I hope the dev ignores this request. I like the detail of construction, I don't want to just place a box and have it magically build ala age of empires or theme hospital. I like that the little men have to account for every block. Games are being over simplified these days.

+1

Return to “Community Members”