What are you hoping for alpha 13?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Correa
level0

Postby Correa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:24 pm

Better game performance. It's very hard to play any complex prision, even without land expansion.

You should not wait too long to add threads support, or we will probably never see it done.
Axios
level2
level2

Postby Axios » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:32 pm

Correa wrote:Better game performance. It's very hard to play any complex prision, even without land expansion.

You should not wait too long to add threads support, or we will probably never see it done.

Better game performance will came in "beta" phase....
rndmwhitekid
level0

Postby rndmwhitekid » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:39 pm

The icons that pop up when you assign prisoners to a job should stack on top of each other instead of going across the screen. Also, maybe add a use for the Lawyer. I'd like to be able to solve those "unsolved murders".
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:42 pm

rndmwhitekid wrote:Also, maybe add a use for the Lawyer. I'd like to be able to solve those "unsolved murders".

Lawyers aren't investigators.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:05 pm

MAdMaN wrote:
rndmwhitekid wrote:Also, maybe add a use for the Lawyer. I'd like to be able to solve those "unsolved murders".

Lawyers aren't investigators.

But! But! PERRY MASON!

xander
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Correa wrote:Better game performance. It's very hard to play any complex prision, even without land expansion.

Threading isn't a magic bullet for performance and is almost certain to cause serious problems unless it's planned for from day 1. It's most likely already too late to put in properly.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:01 pm

HerrJoebob wrote:

Threading isn't a magic bullet for performance and is almost certain to cause serious problems unless it's planned for from day 1. It's most likely already too late to put in properly.

With the understanding that my use of computers and code is mathematical/scientific, I have always found it easier to get working code up and running first, then figure out how to parallelize it. If the code works and give the correct answer, I then have a reference to refer to as I make it parallel. In the case of Prison Architect, there are probably some parts that are modal enough to apply the same treatment---say pathfinding (where parallelization would probably help quite a bit, as there is no requirement for each unit to find a path in series).

xander
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:20 pm

xander wrote:With the understanding that my use of computers and code is mathematical/scientific, I have always found it easier to get working code up and running first, then figure out how to parallelize it.

As a practical matter that doesn't work for real world projects of any complexity. It's software so of course it could be done, mind, but it could easily be as much work as a full rewrite. There will be much more practical ways to optimize the game.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:29 am

HerrJoebob wrote:
xander wrote:With the understanding that my use of computers and code is mathematical/scientific, I have always found it easier to get working code up and running first, then figure out how to parallelize it.

As a practical matter that doesn't work for real world projects of any complexity.

As a practical matter, mathematical simulation can be very complex, and represents a class of problems that occur in the "real world" of my programming experience. It seems to work perfectly well for me.

xander
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:59 am

xander wrote:As a practical matter, mathematical simulation can be very complex, and represents a class of problems that occur in the "real world" of my programming experience. It seems to work perfectly well for me.

xander

I did not in any way mean to belittle your work or insight, and re-reading my post I can see how someone would get the impression that I did. I apologize - that post was quickly dashed out while I was at work.

Also I apologize for derailing the discussion with a personal peeve, and will now drop the topic. :)
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:25 am

By the way xander, given your mathematical background, I'm interested in your opinion on this [rather embarassing] attempt at possible gang modelling over here.

(was considering sending a message, but didn't want be an imposition (for a change)).
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:35 pm

paktsardines wrote:By the way xander, given your mathematical background, I'm interested in your opinion on this [rather embarassing] attempt at possible gang modelling over here.

(was considering sending a message, but didn't want be an imposition (for a change)).

I'll go have a look, but my insight is likely to be fairly minimal---I study (essentially) fractal geometry and analysis. Modeling gangs seems more like a network theory or game theory problem.

xander

Return to “Community Members”