[Suggestion] List # of jobs room supports, other job stuff

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Sorenson
level1
level1

[Suggestion] List # of jobs room supports, other job stuff

Postby Sorenson » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:20 am

Something that really buggers me about the way room jobs are calculated is that, unless you can remember the specific space rates for each type, you can't really tell how MANY jobs a given room's going to support until you build it, zone it and check it in the deployment screen - low-ball or high-ball it and you have to do costly revisions until you hit that sweet spot of labor-vs-space you desire. Since I don't think that just letting us cram as many workers into a space as we want is in the cards in the foreseeable future, something that'd be really nice is if, while zoning a labor room like a kitchen or workshop or whatever, it also gave a little blurb under the width about how many prisoners can be assigned to that room. That way, you can scale things out before hand, measure twice and build once.

Another thing that'd be nice is if we could get the number of prisoners assigned to a room as a plain number instead of using tokens - when I want to see how many dudes I've got assigned to a room I'd like to get that information instantly instead of having to do a count, not to mention that since the tokens will often run overscreen it just looks nasty and can wind up making it hard to tell what's what about other labor rooms as well.
Artophwar
level1
level1

Postby Artophwar » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:54 am

I agree with both of those ideas. Especially the token thing, and to expand on it a little further just have a single larger token and then the number of workers inside of it.
Pogo
level2
level2

Postby Pogo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:30 pm

Rather than doing any costly revisions, you can just zone, rezone, and rezone in a completely unfurbished area of your prisoner. Don't worry about putting up walls or any of the tools, etc. Just zone the room out in an empty space, then build the walls up around it later.
NoOpen
level1
level1

Postby NoOpen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:38 pm

I disagree with your first idea (Although I would have no objections to it being in the game) I personally like that you must but some of your own intelligence into prison design.

But your idea for a number instead of token system (If not mentioned already is insane) I agree.
dc4bs
level1
level1

Postby dc4bs » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:34 am

I was just thinking about requesting a number instead of tokens as well.

Even just modifying the "max workers" line.

EG: "max workers 20" would become something like "workers 0/0/20" and "workers 3/7/20" when you have 7 assigned but only 3 are currently working (could even have the 3 in brown text or something)... The tokens ARE useful in that they turn brown when a worker is actively using that slot. Still not so useful when they overlap but better than nothing. Just build 2 16x6 workshops next to each other to reproduce serious token overlap...
NoOpen
level1
level1

Postby NoOpen » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:21 am

dc4bs wrote:I was just thinking about requesting a number instead of tokens as well.

EG: "max workers 20" would become something like "workers 0/0/20" and "workers 3/7/20" when you have 7 assigned but only 3 are currently working (could even have the 3 in brown text or something)... The tokens ARE useful in that they turn brown when a worker is actively using that slot. Still not so useful when they overlap but better than nothing. Just build 2 16x6 workshops next to each other to reproduce serious token overlap...

I wonder if your colour blind or one of our graphics cards are fucked. It is a very clear orange colour in my eyes.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:26 am

NoOpen wrote:
dc4bs wrote:I was just thinking about requesting a number instead of tokens as well.

I wonder if your colour blind or one of our graphics cards are fucked. It is a very clear orange colour in my eyes.

Actually a fair question, but I believe he's saying that the tokens literally overlap to the point where you can't distinguish which is which. Happens a lot if you have a high-symmetry prison like the ones I build. In that case they truly do overlap to the point of uselessness.
dc4bs
level1
level1

Postby dc4bs » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:56 pm

HerrJoebob wrote:
NoOpen wrote:

Actually a fair question, but I believe he's saying that the tokens literally overlap to the point where you can't distinguish which is which. Happens a lot if you have a high-symmetry prison like the ones I build. In that case they truly do overlap to the point of uselessness.

Orange / Golden-Brown. Take your pick... :roll:

I know I pass every one of the color test cards without any difficulty (except the ones that test for color intensity that only color deficient people can see easily). :) I can't focus more than a foot or so away without glasses though (20/525 vision). :(

Anyway, yes. I have adjacent 16x16 workshops that just about pixel for pixel overlap the tokens. When that happens off work hours, it's pretty hard to set the worker counts for the left room. Eventually I want 20 in each but early on can be tricky. With a bit of lag sometimes the clicks to add/remove tokens don't always register so you just click SLOWLY and hope you get the number you wanted.

Also, during work hours you also cannot tell how many workers are actually using the room. as all the tokens are orange/brown. But how do you know the left rooms tokens are not hiding a few white ones under the right rooms?

Return to “Community Members”