[suggestion] goals

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Smiling Eve
level1
level1

[suggestion] goals

Postby Smiling Eve » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:15 pm

I'd like the game to have more goals. Maybe medals?
I'm thinking stuff like: Catch 20 escaped prisoners, heal 50 people in infirmary, prevent 5 escapes, find 100 contraband items, search 100 prisoners, search 50 cells, have place for 100 prisoners, sell 1000 workshop items, reach 100.000 money. I don't know if the numbers make any sense.
pipeek
level1
level1

Postby pipeek » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:08 pm

It's alpha... Lets focus on the engine and after it works correctly think about adding polish ;)
GC13
level2
level2

Postby GC13 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:18 pm

So... Achievements. You want achievements? We'll likely get them, even though achievements are a poison. Thankfully a poison too weak to do any significant damage, but some people apparently find their effects to be intoxicating.
Smiling Eve
level1
level1

Postby Smiling Eve » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:13 pm

Poison? Explain...
Smiling Eve
dc4bs
level1
level1

Postby dc4bs » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:52 pm

Some people are annoyed by them.

I try to pretend steam achievements do not exist. I play any given game because I'm interested in it for some reason. Little popups giving me pats on the head are quite annoying and often somewhat condescending...

EG: "Look! You have built 100 widgets in your factory! What a good boy you are!"

Erm...

The WHOLE POINT of the game is to BUILD WIDGETS. Go away and leave me alone.

In more linear games like Portal 2 there are achievements for things you cannot NOT do and still get through the game. What's the point other than to just have another achievement? Wooho, this new game has FIFTY EIGHT achievements! That older one only has a measly forty three... This new one MUST be better!

In more immersive games like Skyrim, they just distract the player and break the immersion.

So yes, poison. But not the kind that kills you. Just makes you a little sick to your stomach for a while... :(
Smiling Eve
level1
level1

Postby Smiling Eve » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:35 am

I said goals: something to work towards to. More grants/campaign goals would suffice too. But medals/achievements came into mind first.
Smiling Eve
NoOpen
level1
level1

Postby NoOpen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:47 am

It's on steam it already has trading cards. I will cut 1 inch of my pinky finger and post a video here (I am honestly not joking) if achievements are not made and implemented within 1 month of full game release.

It is not even introversion's decision it is valves.

I would disagree with the poison comment. It is more like a hefty dose of coke or PCP...You know what I mean that sense of self grandeur that is not real.
Spectre Incarnate
level2
level2

Postby Spectre Incarnate » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:24 am

I like achievements when they are NOT arbitrary. If it's really difficult to accomplish, like beating progressively more difficult point scores, finding all the secrets of an area, or getting a lucky rare item, then I'm cool with that.

But if it's a task that's going to happen no matter what if you play the game long enough, like getting through a mandatory tutorial, finishing a chapter in a story mode, or killing 1000 monsters over all playthroughs... that's NOT an achievement! I didn't work for that! Wasn't trying to get it and didn't even know the achievement was going to pop up in the first place, so how is that even considered a goal?
GC13
level2
level2

Postby GC13 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:46 am

Those are the worst kind of achievements. At least with ones you get just for playing the game, they're not warping your incentives. With garbage like "look up a walkthrough and find out about this hidden area" or "beat three bosses with only one magical element" you're saying "hi, I want you to prove how cool you are by jumping through some hoops for me, k?"
Spectre Incarnate
level2
level2

Postby Spectre Incarnate » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:28 am

The difference for me is that those are specifically challenges or lucky streaks that are completely optional (or random) should you choose to pursue them. They are not forced or arbitrary and are fun to try out. Especially if I've beat a game all the way through and would like to try beating it again in a different way or to find all the secrets and unlock everything. Then I appreciate the achievements as I can look back at them and go "Wow, I remember when I spent the whole day just trying to accomplish this one really difficult thing! So worth it!" Or "I actually found all the secrets in that area on my own! So proud of myself for not using the walkthrough!"

Also, you can see what percentage of people played the game that have also accomplished that one really difficult thing and compare where you stand amongst them. Being in the top 10% of a very difficult mode on a certain game of mine is, at the very least, fairly amusing to me, cause it just means I was really damn bored that day. :lol:
NoOpen
level1
level1

Postby NoOpen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:23 am

GC13 wrote:Those are the worst kind of achievements. At least with ones you get just for playing the game, they're not warping your incentives. With garbage like "look up a walkthrough and find out about this hidden area" or "beat three bosses with only one magical element" you're saying "hi, I want you to prove how cool you are by jumping through some hoops for me, k?"

Maybe if your a horrible gamer. Its more like this.

With garbage like "Work out how to do X with intelligence" They have been around since the invention of gaming they just never popped up with a little message no on complained then. Its just little kids (Not a implication of actual age) getting on the "we hate achievements" bandwagon when in reality you have never been without them.
GC13
level2
level2

Postby GC13 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:46 am

NoOpen wrote:Maybe if your a horrible gamer. Its more like this.

With garbage like "Work out how to do X with intelligence" They have been around since the invention of gaming they just never popped up with a little message no on complained then. Its just little kids (Not a implication of actual age) getting on the "we hate achievements" bandwagon when in reality you have never been without them.
Maybe you should finish high school before you call someone a "kid", whether in mindset or in age.
NoOpen
level1
level1

Postby NoOpen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:52 am

GC13 wrote:
NoOpen wrote:Maybe if your a horrible gamer. Its more like this.

Maybe you should finish high school before you call someone a "kid", whether in mindset or in age.

Okay. Your a child, I met your requirements and then some.

Although that was a beautiful example of my exact point which will fly right over your head.

Return to “Community Members”